Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking Power Tools to Australia

Taking Power Tools to Australia

Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

engineer wayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking Power Tools to Australia

Hi has anyone taken power tools to Australia still contaminated with saw dust?
Would they have to pick up on dusty tools, I know they are keen when taking soiled items into the county due to possible diesese to plants etc.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking Power Tools to Australia

Mate if they happen to go through your stuff and find dust/dirt/grass anything then it's going to get expensive for you.
We spent hours vacuuming and cleaning all of our garden tools equipment etc, the O/H spent days in the garage cleaning his electric saws/drills planers and all the other toys he has, because of the stories we had read about importing dirty items.
Best policy is clean it to a near new standard or just don't bring them
Old Aug 18th 2011, 6:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Far far less trouble to give them a damn good clear out with an airline than leaving even the smallest amount of dust/wood, soil in there. There's a reason why there are strict rules in place and heavy fines imposed.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 6:28 am
Just Joined

dubai ja is just really nicedubai ja is just really nicedubai ja is just really nicedubai ja is just really nicedubai ja is just really nicedubai ja is just really nicedubai ja is just really nicedubai ja is just really nice

Originally Posted by engineer wayne
Hi has anyone taken power tools to Australia still contaminated with saw dust?
Would they have to pick up on dusty tools, I know they are keen when taking soiled items into the county due to possible diesese to plants etc.
I would imagine you would have to have them cleaned as you have to declair timber items due to mites etc. in the wood.... so I think this would be the same case. They are really, really, strickt.... as long as you declare they will decide... but I would have them cleaned first. I dont think they would conviscate them off you but they may take them aware for cleaning and then charge you.

If you take them and don't declare you can be up for I think over 10,000 aus dollars.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

engineer wayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, I haeve hoovered them to near new condition but I will get the airline out I think and just make sure, they are all DeWalt and expensive items around £5k worth so dont want any going missing.
Thanks for advice !
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by engineer wayne
Thanks all, I haeve hoovered them to near new condition but I will get the airline out I think and just make sure, they are all DeWalt and expensive items around £5k worth so dont want any going missing.
Thanks for advice !
I strongly recommend that you take or buy any quality tools with you to Australia. Quality tools/parts are very expensive in Australia because there is usually only one importer/distributor so no competition (I'm not talking of Bosch). Whenever we are back in Germany we buy tools, eg FEIN.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 5:48 am
Just Joined

namrok is an unknown quantity at this point

I would never advise anyone to bring dirty tools into Australia but....The shipping company we used, accidently packed two tool bags with hand and power tools which I was going to sell. Filthy dirty been used the day before. It was two days later I realized it had happened...Too late to get them back! They arrived in Brisbane docks passed through, I now use them...Thank god as power tools are very expensive here. and to be honest not very good. The power tools were 110v so I bought a reducer as most sites use 240v tools.

We were also told not to send cane or wicker items so we sent those separately
via air. Again no problems. We even took a wicker 'cat basket' through customs. Declared it, a guy opened it, looked at it, and sent us through.

Again...I wouldn't advise this.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:05 pm
Banned

RossCountyLoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

mmm....my wife was going to take her power tool to Oz as well, but there is certainly no sawdust on it