Reload this Page >

taking the plunge

taking the plunge

Old Aug 31st 2004, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Jungle Jim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking the plunge

Hi,

I am thinking about moving to Australia, but would like to find out a few things. This forum has been a great source of info, and it sounds like most folk have not regretted moving.

I am in the process of talking it over with my family, and we really need to be sure it is the right move for us.

If you would be so kind as to answer some of my questions that would be smashing.

1) Would I be able to afford a house if working in Sydney as a Senior Software engineer with a wife and 2 kids?

2) Does having a family hinder or help your application for a permanent Visa?

3) What is the best area for working in the Computing industry? I'd like to stay in NSW though.

4) This may sound silly, but... Do you have to have travelled to Australia before you can apply for a visa?

Thanks
Jimbo
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:23 pm
Cheeky

Default Re: taking the plunge

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim
Hi,

I am thinking about moving to Australia, but would like to find out a few things. This forum has been a great source of info, and it sounds like most folk have not regretted moving.

I am in the process of talking it over with my family, and we really need to be sure it is the right move for us.

If you would be so kind as to answer some of my questions that would be smashing.

1) Would I be able to afford a house if working in Sydney as a Senior Software engineer with a wife and 2 kids?

3) What is the best area for working in the Computing industry? I'd like to stay in NSW though.

4) This may sound silly, but... Do you have to have travelled to Australia before you can apply for a visa?

Thanks
Jimbo
Hi Jungle Jim

Im prob not the best person for this but I will try and answer a couple of questions.
You dont have to have visited Oz in order to apply for visa and (I am sure) being a family doesnt hinder your application.

Try looking at DIMMA website - www.immi.gov.au

Hope this helps abit Cheeky
PS welcome 2 forum!!

Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim
Hi,

Thanks
Jimbo
Hi Jimbo - welcome to the furum m8!

As no one has answered any of your questions yet, just thought I'd let you know someone is watching

1) Sydney is one of the most expensive places to live in OZ.

2) Don't know!

3) Ditto!

4) No - you do not have to have travelled to Australia first! So apply for your visa now!

Good luck in your quest
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:29 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

As no one has answered any of your questions yet, just thought I'd let you know someone is watching

I stand corrected! You beat me to it!
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

The IT industry is a good one to be in. We're headed to Perth but hubby is flying to Oz at the end of the month because he contacted a company in the IT business who want him, and they want to meet him and discuss salaries.
The cost of living in Sydney may be higher but the wages also tend to be a bit higher.
There are places aroiund where you can research wages for various industries.

Try www.wagenet.gov.au

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:41 pm
Cheeky

Originally Posted by Bix

I stand corrected! You beat me to it!
Its ok Bix, I think we were replying at same time!!
Beat ya by a second!! Cheeky

Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Jungle Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys....

More investigation required methinks.