Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking the pets will we have trouble renting?

Taking the pets will we have trouble renting?

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:33 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking the pets will we have trouble renting?

Ok after much discussion we've decided to take our pets with us only to get mail from a friends daughter in Melbourne to say we may have problems renting a house????

Is this true???

After the quotes we received to take our dog with us we were a bit hesitant to be honest as £4,000 to fly the dog over and quaruntine him is more than it will cost the 5 of us to get out there !!!! However he's Ryan's (Son no.2's)best mate and is very very good with all the kids, on walks if other dogs are running loose he will get between the dogs and my baby's buggy so the dogs can't get near him, he's made a burgler change his mind about burgling our home and as my husband will be on night shift in the week it'll help me sleep better at night.
I admit our dog isn't everyone's cup of tea - he's a GSD and a little on the large side as in size not fat and is somehwat of a Forest Gump.
We also have a moggie whose character could not be replaced by any other as she is totally child friendly and loving and is the families resident nurse maid.

Help ???

Jen
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all
Default Re: Taking the pets will we have trouble renting?

pot luck i think some do some dont want pets we where ok got sorted within a week good luck
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:48 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

We found some will allow on the grounds the dog is an 'outside dog'. Our first rental mutley was supposed to be outside but he was in most of the time and we just had to keep our wits about us as the rental co did have a habit of turning up 20 mins earlier than the apt time for the inspection! ...

Current rental they don't give a monkeys whether the dog is in or out! ... ... altho we feel we've been lucky finding this place.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:56 am
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Originally Posted by JenJen
Ok after much discussion we've decided to take our pets with us only to get mail from a friends daughter in Melbourne to say we may have problems renting a house????

Is this true???

After the quotes we received to take our dog with us we were a bit hesitant to be honest as £4,000 to fly the dog over and quaruntine him is more than it will cost the 5 of us to get out there !!!! However he's Ryan's (Son no.2's)best mate and is very very good with all the kids, on walks if other dogs are running loose he will get between the dogs and my baby's buggy so the dogs can't get near him, he's made a burgler change his mind about burgling our home and as my husband will be on night shift in the week it'll help me sleep better at night.
I admit our dog isn't everyone's cup of tea - he's a GSD and a little on the large side as in size not fat and is somehwat of a Forest Gump.
We also have a moggie whose character could not be replaced by any other as she is totally child friendly and loving and is the families resident nurse maid.

Help ???

Jen
Jen,
We are in our second rental in Brisbane and so far have not had any problems in relation to 2 dogs and a cat. When asked if they were outside dogs, we promptly replied " yes, they go outside". Failed to tell them that they also go inside. But hey, they never asked that.

Neil.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by neil.b
Jen,
We are in our second rental in Brisbane and so far have not had any problems in relation to 2 dogs and a cat. When asked if they were outside dogs, we promptly replied " yes, they go outside". Failed to tell them that they also go inside. But hey, they never asked that.

Neil.

Lol

I would just worry if we had to keep him outside cause a day we tried to do that here we ended up with pot holes in the garden
Or he'd bark like mad probably especially if the neighbours were in they're garden.
He does tend to moult a bit but if you get warning about them coming I should be able to hoover and get rid of most the hairs lol

I'll have to remember to say yes he does go out instead of just yes lolll

Thanks

It just seems so different to here where there seem few places that won't allow you pets or a dog in rented places? Wonder why

Jen
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:21 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Or he'd bark like mad probably especially if the neighbours were in they're garden.
He'll fit in very well. Loads of dogs over here, loads of barking!

Reason we left our last rental as the neighbors dog was left in the garden 24/7. NEVER walked, and it yapped all bloody day long!

Last edited by Paul&Nic; Sep 3rd 2006 at 8:45 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

surfsup is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this true???

Help ???

Jen

Taking my dog too couldn't possibly leave him!!! Would pay even more to have him out of that box!! Try domain.com.au for a house search. It allows key words ie pets, pool etc just for an idea
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by surfsup
Taking my dog too couldn't possibly leave him!!! Would pay even more to have him out of that box!! Try domain.com.au for a house search. It allows key words ie pets, pool etc just for an idea

oooh thanks i'll try that.

Jen
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Is this true???

Help ???

Jen
I think the agent that looks after my properties charges an extra $200 on the bond as a pet bond then asks me,of course the dogs are always outside dogs.Any damage and you lose your bond,landlords insurance should cover any major damage,I will need to read the policy again.I never stop pets and the inspections always come with photos.Some of the agents are crap,they think they are doing me a favour by looking after the property,wonder how they treat the tenants.The only rule i have for agents is they telephone me after 5 pm with any problems,most of them refuse so they do not get the rent roll.Charging around $1400 a property I don't think i am being unreasonable to ask for a call after i finish work,they think it is extremely unreasonable to expect them to phone at my convenience rather than theirs,I think I have had 2 calls in 20 yrs for hot water systems to give the go ahead for new systems as soon as possible,preferably immediately.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 1:39 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

oooh thanks i'll try that.

Jen
TRY THESE TOO

http://www.seqrents.com.au/cgi-bin/v4rental.pl

JUST FOR QLD I THINK

ALK
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

Talking Re: Taking the pets will we have trouble renting?

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
I think the agent that looks after my properties charges an extra $200 on the bond as a pet bond then asks me,of course the dogs are always outside dogs.Any damage and you lose your bond,landlords insurance should cover any major damage,I will need to read the policy again.I never stop pets and the inspections always come with photos.Some of the agents are crap,they think they are doing me a favour by looking after the property,wonder how they treat the tenants.The only rule i have for agents is they telephone me after 5 pm with any problems,most of them refuse so they do not get the rent roll.Charging around $1400 a property I don't think i am being unreasonable to ask for a call after i finish work,they think it is extremely unreasonable to expect them to phone at my convenience rather than theirs,I think I have had 2 calls in 20 yrs for hot water systems to give the go ahead for new systems as soon as possible,preferably immediately.
I don't suppose you rent properties in point cook, Melbourne do you ??? 4 bed one or two storey???
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 9:53 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

... and is very very good with all the kids, on walks if other dogs are running loose he will get between the dogs and my baby's buggy so the dogs can't get near him,...
You should not have that problem so often here, as dogs are not allowed to be off leash in public - only in designated off-leash areas, so you seldom see dogs running loose (that is true for Brisbane, I assume it is similar elsewhere). For the same reason (and the reasonable fines for not clearing up after dogs) you also seldom see dog crap on parks, paths, etc. In five years here I do not think I have ever trodden in any or had to avoid any on the path - a big difference from my experience in UK.

As for rentals - just make sure you are honest with the agent/landlord. I have heard of people saying no pets then "smuggling" them in and hiding all signs during inspections. As a landlord, whilst I would not object to pets, I would turf someone out for trying to pull a fast one.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DagBoy
You should not have that problem so often here, as dogs are not allowed to be off leash in public - only in designated off-leash areas, so you seldom see dogs running loose (that is true for Brisbane, I assume it is similar elsewhere). For the same reason (and the reasonable fines for not clearing up after dogs) you also seldom see dog crap on parks, paths, etc. In five years here I do not think I have ever trodden in any or had to avoid any on the path - a big difference from my experience in UK.

As for rentals - just make sure you are honest with the agent/landlord. I have heard of people saying no pets then "smuggling" them in and hiding all signs during inspections. As a landlord, whilst I would not object to pets, I would turf someone out for trying to pull a fast one.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Sorry I live in Rockhampton and dogs are always running around the streets.The fines are heftey for everything to do with the dog but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Some landlords do allow dogs you'll probably have time to sort it out before the dog arrives. I found renting here a bit of a nightmare.We hadn't rented for years ,just got our own house now its a relief not to have them (the landlord) parading around the house every 3 months for an inspection.Drove me mad. Don't try to con the landlord by smuggling the dog in to the house though it would go down on your record if you wanted to chabge rentals and make life difficult
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

I don't suppose you rent properties in point cook, Melbourne do you ??? 4 bed one or two storey???
Sorry,all in WA and r/e agent handles all applications.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Is this true???

Help ???

Jen

Our dogs are a priority in what we do, I've looked on quite a few 'rental' websites and seen a fair few smattering of properties that accept dogs, (more than over here in UK) and you'll have the quarantine period to find somewhere suitable.

He loves you no matter what you look like Forest Gump or not