Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info on Merriwa Please

Info on Merriwa Please

Old Jun 19th 2006, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Daz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant futureDaz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant futureDaz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant futureDaz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant futureDaz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant futureDaz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant future
Question Info on Merriwa Please

Hi all

We are looking for information on Merriwa-

Whats the area like?
What are the Schools like?
Etc Etc Etc

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Daz
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Daz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant futureDaz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant futureDaz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant futureDaz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant futureDaz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant futureDaz,Tam & Jake has a brilliant future
Default Re: Info on Merriwa Please

Originally Posted by Daz,Tam & Jake
Hi all

Whats the area like?
Etc Etc Etc

Thanks Daz

PS I mean Merriwa WA, just realised there is at least one more
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Tracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud of

Hi all

Whats the area like?
Etc Etc Etc

Thanks Daz

Hi Daz
We've been in WA for 7 weeks and are buying a place in Quinns Rocks. This is not far from Merriwa. We have friends who have been here, in Quinns, 10 years - they say that Merriwa has cheaper housing and there are many families living there in state housing (UK equivalent of council housing system) We were advised not to consider this as a permanent place to settle. Sorry, don't know anything else about the suburb and have never driven through it. Not much info I know but I'm sure other folks will have some more info on the place.
Tracey B
Old Jun 19th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Whats the area like?
Etc Etc Etc

Thanks Daz
We're staying there for three weeks when we migrate on 30th August - if you can wait that long for info!! What stage are you at ?
Old Jun 19th 2006, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracey B
Hi Daz
We've been in WA for 7 weeks and are buying a place in Quinns Rocks. This is not far from Merriwa. We have friends who have been here, in Quinns, 10 years - they say that Merriwa has cheaper housing and there are many families living there in state housing (UK equivalent of council housing system) We were advised not to consider this as a permanent place to settle. Sorry, don't know anything else about the suburb and have never driven through it. Not much info I know but I'm sure other folks will have some more info on the place.
Tracey B
Hi Tracey

Thanks for the info, I was just looking through the housing websites and thought they were slightly cheaper than most other Northern areas.

Thanks Daz
Old Jun 19th 2006, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ohippy
We're staying there for three weeks when we migrate on 30th August - if you can wait that long for info!! What stage are you at ?
Hiya

Any info would be great, I am though travelling over there for a month on June 30th, I am just trying to get any idea on as many areas as possible.

We have our visa's and we are hoping to emigrate in September/October.

Thanks Daz
Old Jun 19th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Any info would be great, I am though travelling over there for a month on June 30th, I am just trying to get any idea on as many areas as possible.

We have our visa's and we are hoping to emigrate in September/October.

Thanks Daz
Excellent - well if you find out any info can you let me know ?
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:11 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

When my folks lived in quinns in the early 90's Merriwa was red neck city , base pumping out of the estate , hoons the lot !
That was then this is now, we stayed there for the 1st 3months of this year , and its now fine.
Not sure what the schools are like ?
You have 2 local shopping centres near by , minutes to the beach .
There is Ocean keys shopping centre just up the road and Clarkson train station 5 mins drive away .
Houses sell fast and prices are on the rise too .
There's a pub too , and one in clarkson opening in sept.
All that and your 35-40 mins from the city , not that you will need to go there unless you work there , as Joondalup 10-15 mins away has every thing you need .
HTH
Old Jun 19th 2006, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ohippy
Excellent - well if you find out any info can you let me know ?
Hi

Of course I will pass on any info on as many areas as I can.

Thanks Daz
Old Jun 19th 2006, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Perthforme
When my folks lived in quinns in the early 90's Merriwa was red neck city , base pumping out of the estate , hoons the lot !
That was then this is now, we stayed there for the 1st 3months of this year , and its now fine.
Not sure what the schools are like ?
You have 2 local shopping centres near by , minutes to the beach .
There is Ocean keys shopping centre just up the road and Clarkson train station 5 mins drive away .
Houses sell fast and prices are on the rise too .
There's a pub too , and one in clarkson opening in sept.
All that and your 35-40 mins from the city , not that you will need to go there unless you work there , as Joondalup 10-15 mins away has every thing you need .
HTH
Hi

Thanks for the info, sounds like its improved.

Daz
Old Jun 19th 2006, 6:02 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Joondalup, but a friend lives in Merriwa and it appears to be a very nice area, although admittedly (as another poster mentioned) there are a lot of homes west (council) housing there.

I personally would not live there, but then each person is different and what I might think of a place, might be totally different to what you think of it.

Good Luck
Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I lived in Joondalup, but a friend lives in Merriwa and it appears to be a very nice area, although admittedly (as another poster mentioned) there are a lot of homes west (council) housing there.

I personally would not live there, but then each person is different and what I might think of a place, might be totally different to what you think of it.

Good Luck
Merriwa's rough. I guess if you're coming from a mancunian slum it would seem like paradise. Personally I'd never live there.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:32 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Merriwa's rough. I guess if you're coming from a mancunian slum it would seem like paradise. Personally I'd never live there.
So where would you recommend ? We are renting in Quinns at the moment and were looking to buy here until I was recently put off ...
Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
So where would you recommend ? We are renting in Quinns at the moment and were looking to buy here until I was recently put off ...
Quinns is also Bogan central. It's tricky, all the houses have gone up so much that the dodgy suburbs are the only affordable ones for first time buyers or migrants who aren't coming over with masses of cash. Butler is probably OK but again, I wouldn't live there. It's not rough, just street after street of Legoland houses on tiny blocks.

If you've got kids avoid Clarkson High, it has a very bad reputation.

Personally, if I were new to Perth with no ties drawing me to a particular area I'd be looking south of the river right now, anything on the new Perth to Mandurah rail line corridor. Of course these areas have gone up in price too.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:10 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Merriwa is a changing area, a couple of years ago it was probably the last place in the Northern Burbs you'd pick, but it is changing a lot. As house prices go up different types of people are moving into the area therefor driving the standards up. Yes there are still a lot of state housing there, but why is state houseing feared so much? Many state homes are occupied by young families or single parent families who cannot afford to get on the property ladder, all they have is their state home and many look after them very well, but there will always be those who don't but you will find them in all types of housing, whether they own their house, rent privately or have a state home. If you are seriously looking at Merriwa then spend plenty time there and suss out the areas which are maybe less desirable than others, you'll always find streets where you wont want to live, in every suburb.

The primary school is ok, i have a friend who supply teaches and much prefers Merriwa to either of the Quinns primary schools.

The newer area of Merriwa the Seagrove estate is virtually joined on to Butler now and is nice and the back of merriwais all being developed as part of the brighton estate but will be classed as Ridgewood, these areas are new whereas the older part is more established with mature trees, larger blocks and birds (which you wont find in newer parts).

Merriwa has had its fair share of problems in the past (a gun seige and an incident where someone blew themselves up) but these were all a few years back. IMO there are far worse places to live.

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.