Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a Jack Russell to NZ

Taking a Jack Russell to NZ

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:09 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough
Default Taking a Jack Russell to NZ

hello anyone familair with the requirement of taking your pet to NZ i.e proceddures, prices, quarantine times

Thanks
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I got some good replys to a previous post of mine on bringing a dog to NZ - goldenarrow shipping was the one recommended - there is no quarantine in NZ but your dog has to have all the shots etc I think they get a passport?! - maff nz have a website with good information on bringing animals over.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:47 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Copperben
Hi I got some good replys to a previous post of mine on bringing a dog to NZ - goldenarrow shipping was the one recommended - there is no quarantine in NZ but your dog has to have all the shots etc I think they get a passport?! - maff nz have a website with good information on bringing animals over.

Thanks for the reply,

Thats great news on the zero quarantine, as i think having the kids pet come with us will make it easier for the kids, i will check up on the website and ask my vet about the passport they should know,

Thanks again
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

NetWriter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We just phoned the local vet on behalf of our dog Susie.
They know all about what's needed.
Gave us prices. Very good, although pricey.
Don't forget microchip & rabiies vaccination
at least 6 months before flying.
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
An update.
Just had dog microchipped.
You don't need rabbies vaccination for UK to NZ.
The following sites give useful info:

For info, check out BA site for cargo bookings at:
http://www.baworldcargo.com/products...s%2Fpets.shtml

Also, Air New Zealand has good info at:
http://www.uk.airnz.com/aboutus/carg...ve_animals.htm

Useful info at:

www.petexports.co.uk a good summary of what's needed.

http://www.maf.govt.nz/biosecurity/i...omaniic.uk.htm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-...x/animl-ex.htm see "export health certificates"
and "Animal Health Divisioanl Office" who your local vet will contact. Ours is sending
the "Export of dogs to New Zealand" information.

Good luck to everyone and your pets.

Steve.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Janiac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NetWriter
An update. Just had dog microchipped.
You don't need rabbies vaccination for UK to NZ.
The following sites give useful info:.......Good luck to everyone and your pets.Steve.
Hi Steve!
Just started going through the process of finding out exactly what's what regarding my pets so thanks so much for those links you posted....very useful indeed!
Just wondered how easy/difficult you are finding the whole process?? Are you doing it all yourself or using that Airpet co?

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats to get to NZ (fun huh?! )......The time scale for getting all these vaccinations and tests done is a bit of a minefield to make sure it all coincides for the actual departure date and there just seems so many bits of documentation you need to get...do I need to get all these myself or would the vet do that?

Maybe I better go and lie down in a darkened kennel, I mean room, for a little while.....I think I'm losing it !!!!!!!!

Janiac
Old Nov 5th 2003, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
We're maybe 6 months to a year away from possible flight, so haven't got very far so far with Susie the dog.
I suggest:
1) Get any pets that need microchipping done as soon as possible so that mininum 6 month limit is OK.
2) Contact the defra link I posted for your area. I emailed and got loads of info by post, so include your physical address in email. They recently sent an update to requirements, so we must on their list.
3) Contact your local vet. Find out whether they are approved for doing what's needed for exporting pets. Note, you're not going on holiday using the pet passport system. Your pet wants to emigrate ! Make that clear.

At that point you'll know as much as I do !

We hope to buy a suitable box, and do all the paper work ourselves.
There seems to be a view by some, that these pet export companies will somehow make the experience better for their pets. Since, once the pet is in the plane, no one can get accesss, I can't see what they can do that the owner can't.
We may change our mind when trying to cope with 2x kids, loads of baggage, and a dog !

Hope that helps.

I've made a suggestion for a new subject which would allow members to have their favourite links permanantly listed, and edited by the posting member.
That way a learning member like me can update the posting as new info is found out.
See 'site feedback'.
If you agree feel free to add a comment there.

Steve.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Steve.

We would be hoping to do it all ourselves too, and also have two kids (although teenagers) along with our menagerie!

I will get onto Defra, sort out the microchipping asap and check out that site feedback/post anything new I come across.

Good luck with everything and hope Susie appreciates your efforts!!

Janiac

Last edited by Janiac; Nov 5th 2003 at 4:18 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

nicky s is an unknown quantity at this point

Just want to say how great it is to hear about people who are flying their pets over with them, I work as a volunteer in dog rescue and see so many dogs and cats adandoned by thier owners going overseas. I know how expensive it is so I know why people choose not to. Eventually the `pet passport scheme` will be effective in Oz and New Zealand but probably not for a yaer or so..good luck
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by nicky s
Just want to say how great it is to hear about people who are flying their pets over with them, I work as a volunteer in dog rescue and see so many dogs and cats adandoned by thier owners going overseas. I know how expensive it is so I know why people choose not to. Eventually the `pet passport scheme` will be effective in Oz and New Zealand but probably not for a yaer or so..good luck
Thanks Nicky!

I think you do a great job too!! - it's heartbreaking to see how some animals end up (beats me how people can just abandon their pets when there are rescues centres with good hearted people like you who will take them in)...keep up the good work!

"Dogs (& cats) are not my whole world...but they make my world whole"

Janiac
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Default 30 day quaranteen??

Does anyone know what this 30 day residential quaranteen for NZ is about??....does that mean they have to go into kennels or be kept indoors at your home?....does it apply to pets from the UK?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
My dog Molly has just been picked up by Golden Arrow in England for a three day stay in their kennels to sort out the paperwork. She flies out later this week and arrives in Wellington Sunday. Golden Arrow do it all for you - send all the blood/poo bottles with forms to you, which you then take to own Vet on specific days for blood taking. Samples go to Laboratory who send results to Golden Arrows Vet who checks all the paperwork and permits. You really need to do very little (bar hand over almost £2K for a Labrador!!).

As we came out before Molly this was the ideal route for us, they even cancelled her first flight as we moved locations - Wellington to Napier. You could use a more DIY company and have the dog come out with you, or into kennels for a couplke of days prior to your arrival. Be warned that it will be more difficult to get a rental with a dog so worthwhile putting off their arrival for a short while.

Golden Arrow are well recommended, though pricier than some. Tel 01 588 680 240.

That reminds me to phone the Council to get her licensed.

Roger
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Roger, but that's not really an option for us. For one thing I have 2 border collies and 2 cats.....would work out rather too expenisve for that lot methinks! Plus I would not be happy about leaving them in kennels anyway, hopefully they will be flying at the samt time as us.

Will just have to wade through it all myself.

Realise the prob we might have with rental.....looking into that now. So if anyone's got an old shack at the bottom of their garden they can lease out to us for a few weeks???? huh? huh?

Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:09 am
Homesick....

Aqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant future

30 Days is nothing, we had to have our cats quarantined for 6 months, 3 in the UK before we left and then another 3 when we/they got here.

That was UK to AUS and was 12 years ago so maybe it's changed now, but im glad we brought our babys with us

Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:09 am
Just Joined

wotwots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 30 day quaranteen??

Originally posted by Janiac
Does anyone know what this 30 day residential quaranteen for NZ is about??....does that mean they have to go into kennels or be kept indoors at your home?....does it apply to pets from the UK?

All they need is a contact number or address,we travelled for 6 weeks with our Dobermann on arrival in NZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.