Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a Jack Russell to NZ

Taking a Jack Russell to NZ

Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:37 am
Just Joined

nicky s is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn`t aware that there are no quarantine laws in NZ. Does that mean the pet passport scheme is in process? As far as I knew it was still 30 days quarantine in NZ and OZ. I know when I looked into taking my dog to the UK I spoke to Sydney based Company `Dogtainers` and they were very helpful, told me everything I had to do. To go from here to the Uk you get a pet passport and they don`t have to go into quarantine at all. The process takes 6 months before your pet can travel...not sure about UK to NZ...good luck, I know it`s all very daunting but will all be worth it in the end
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:08 am
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nicky s
I wasn`t aware that there are no quarantine laws in NZ. Does that mean the pet passport scheme is in process? As far as I knew it was still 30 days quarantine in NZ and OZ. I know when I looked into taking my dog to the UK I spoke to Sydney based Company `Dogtainers` and they were very helpful, told me everything I had to do. To go from here to the Uk you get a pet passport and they don`t have to go into quarantine at all. The process takes 6 months before your pet can travel...not sure about UK to NZ...good luck, I know it`s all very daunting but will all be worth it in the end

No they don't need quaratine, as long as they follow the other stuff, injections, chips etc.

Can anyone give me an idea on the difference in price of DIY and Professional Dog emigration
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Janiac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 30 day quaranteen??

Originally posted by wotwots
All they need is a contact number or address,we travelled for 6 weeks with our Dobermann on arrival in NZ
A contact number will do? That's great.....thanks Wotwots!

SurferChick.......All I know is that it's more expensive to use a pet emigration company but you could try contacting this one to give you a quote and compare it to one from your vet for doing it yourself.

www.petexports.co.uk
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:49 pm
tennisoz

Default Re: Taking a Jack Russell to NZ

Originally posted by TiggerLottie
hello anyone familair with the requirement of taking your pet to NZ i.e proceddures, prices, quarantine times

Thanks
Oh, and I thought it was about taking the former Gloucestershire and England wicket-keeper, Jack Russell, to NZ

Good lcuk with the move on a serious note!

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:51 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by tennisoz
Oh, and I thought it was about taking the former Gloucestershire and England wicket-keeper, Jack Russell, to NZ

Good lcuk with the move on a serious note!

TennisOz
luck even

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by tennisoz
TennisOz
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:54 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 30 day quaranteen??

SurferChick.......All I know is that it's more expensive to use a pet emigration company but you could try contacting this one to give you a quote and compare it to one from your vet for doing it yourself.

www.petexports.co.uk [/QUOTE]

Ok thanks, but what about the flight? Would I just get a price from the air lines? Yes I'm sure its a silly question, but having not done it before and all that
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

NetWriter is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found the following:

BA say:

How do I make a booking?

Unaccompanied Pets
Call your local British Airways World Cargo reservations office (in the UK call 08457 222 777).
They will check flight availability and advise you of check-in times. You need to have the dimensions
and weight of the container (including the weight of your pet). Reservations can be made within 14
days of flight departure. Details of the person who will collect the pet at the final destination
will also be required.

Air NZ say:

Call:

Cargo
Principal Office, London Heathrow
Phone: 020 8751 5000
Fax: 020 8751 3333
Hours: 0900 - 1730, Monday to Friday
SITA: LHRFSNZ, LHRFFNZ

Above 'Netwriter' post gives links.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

I looked all that up a while ago to see what was invloved.......but I still don't understand the advantage/disadvantage between 'accompanied and unnacompanied' pets if you are planning to be on the same flight anyway, apart from dropping them off at the cargo area or taking them to check in....who will then presumably take them to the cargo area?!!

Sorry If Im sounding a bit dim but can anyone enlighten me on this? thankyooou!!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NetWriter
The following sites give useful info: For info, check out BA site for cargo bookings at:
http://www.baworldcargo.com/products...s%2Fpets.shtml Also, Air New Zealand has good info at: http://<a href="http://www.uk.airnz....nimals.htm</a> Useful info at: www.petexports.co.uk a good summary of what's needed.
http://www.maf.govt.nz/biosecurity/i...omaniic.uk.htm
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-...x/animl-ex.htm see "export health certificates" and "Animal Health Divisioanl Office" who your local vet will contact. Ours is sending
the "Export of dogs to New Zealand" information. Steve. /QUOTE]

Just to let you know I e-mailed Defra late last night, and got a reply thismorning to say the info I need is in the post today! Wow! I'm impressed !!!!!!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

wotwots is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Surfer Chick
No they don't need quaratine, as long as they follow the other stuff, injections, chips etc.

Can anyone give me an idea on the difference in price of DIY and Professional Dog emigration
Just use the vet for the medical stuff-make sure he is an official vet or something (cant remember what it is) and use the pet exporters for just that. We rang BA in March and they said you could only fly your dog using one of these pet travel companies!
We used Par Air nr Colchester and they were very good. We flew out a week before the dog so we could have a week in Malaysia and be fresh when we picked her up,she stayed at their kennels for £4 a day, the last thing you want after a long flight is to be hanging round the airport for a few hours waiting for the dog.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

NetWriter is an unknown quantity at this point

Janiac, I'm relying on you to sort this out !

Susie is a white border collie bitch, by the way.
Sweet, but a bit deaf.

I'm puzzled why BA (or any company) would require the use of a pet transport company. Unless it's to minimise paperwork problems.

Especially when their website says:

"Our Unaccompanied Pets service is a cargo terminal to cargo terminal product. Your pet must be checked in at the cargo facility by you, and collected from the cargo facility by you or a nominated person."

Having re-read the BA bit I'm confused about unaccompanied as well. Since NZ isn't on the list, accompanied looks possible.
I don't see why you'd want to though.

Steve

Last edited by NetWriter; Nov 6th 2003 at 10:15 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Pets can only fly accompanied on domestic flights. On all international flights pets are kept in the hold which means they are unaccompanied.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:49 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I would advise anyone bringing their pets to Oz or NZ to get them vaccinated for Rabis BEFORE they leave the UK.

This means that if you do ever return to the UK for whatever reason then the pets can fly straight away!

It means that they don't have to go through 6 months quarantine when they arrive in the UK.

We didn't get it done and are returning to the UK. It has cost a fortune to get everything done here:

$65 each animal vaccinated (then 3 weeks until blood test)
$230 each animal to have the blood test done
Then they can't fly for another 6 months.

Just advisable to get it done before you come
Old Nov 6th 2003, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

It`s called the `pet passport` scheme and its a process of blood tests and vaccinations against rabies, and as you said the pet cannot fly for six months but then dosen`t have to go into quarantine at the other end. It`s not just a one off process either as your pet has to have further tests and booster shots at later stages in order to keep the passport. It is expensive, around $2000 all up i was quoted. It also has to be done by an approved vet. If your pet dosen`t have to go into quarantine in NZ then that would mean that the pet passport sheme is now in place there which means that your would pet would have to go through this process, which means that they would have to have rabies shots etc..that is what Dogtainers in Sydney told me and also what i`ve read when researching this on the net. The reason they recommend a pet travel company is that they say your pet will be taken care of much better..however i`m not sure how as they are all basically kept in the hold throughout the flight with no-one checking on them and in darkness I tihnk with just water and no food...they don`t recommend sedating your pet either..I reckon i`d need to sedate myself if I was flying with my pet in the hold..an air stewardess once told me that the owners of the pets are always far more anxious than the pets..they reckon most dogs just sleep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.