Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking (fly) fishing gear from UK to Australia

Taking (fly) fishing gear from UK to Australia

Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:27 am

PaulVioly will become famous soon enough
Default Taking (fly) fishing gear from UK to Australia

Hi All,
I just wondered whether anyone had experience of taking fishing gear to Aus.
I'm not too concerned about the sea fishing stuff but I've got lots of fly fishing gear that you only use in Freshwater, fly lines, flies etc. I'm ok with ditching the flies but the fly lines are quite pricey and ideally i'd like to take them.

Does anyone know whether there are any restrictions to these? Can I clean them with something beforehand - ie. with soapy water; but will this be sufficient for the 'men in white suits' from AQIS?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking (fly) fishing gear from UK to Australia

Our plan for my husbands fishing kit is to clean it down with a week jeyes fluid solution, same for the rest of our tents and garden tools - some things will be washed in a stronger solution and then all packed together. Someone, on another thread on here, said that it helps if the aqis bods can smell the disinfection stuff when they examine the boxes - not sure how true that is but at least using jeyes fluid shows that we have disinfected all our stuff.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:51 am

PaulVioly will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
Our plan for my husbands fishing kit is to clean it down with a week jeyes fluid solution, same for the rest of our tents and garden tools - some things will be washed in a stronger solution and then all packed together. Someone, on another thread on here, said that it helps if the aqis bods can smell the disinfection stuff when they examine the boxes - not sure how true that is but at least using jeyes fluid shows that we have disinfected all our stuff.
Hi Bikergirl,
Thanks Bikergirl - that sounds like good practical advice - almost too easy really. I'll lob a bottle or two of Jeyes fluid into the shopping trolley this weekend.
I'll douse our bikes, shoes etc in all this stuff too. I might even take a swig just to subdue the stress of this emigrating malarkey too

Cheers,
Paul.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulVioly
Hi Bikergirl,
Thanks Bikergirl - that sounds like good practical advice - almost too easy really. I'll lob a bottle or two of Jeyes fluid into the shopping trolley this weekend.
I'll douse our bikes, shoes etc in all this stuff too. I might even take a swig just to subdue the stress of this emigrating malarkey too

Cheers,
Paul.
nah throw a couple of bottles of alcohol of your choice to subdue the stess, save the jeyes for the disinfecting