taking the car

Old May 11th 2003, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough
Default taking the car

Does anyone have any experince of taking their car with them? We will hopefully, fingers crossed (etc etc) be going to New Zealand in November. My car is a vauxhall corsa and is only a year old. How much of a hassle is it to take it with us and will it work out too expensive compared with buying in NZ?

Any usefull advice with help.

Old May 11th 2003, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: taking the car

I remember hearing that it is expensive to take a car over and not worth it unless it is something very special. You have to pay import duty. Also the cost of service and parts for European cars is high.

There might be some info on the site link
http://www.dotrs.gov.au/explore.aspx?facet=Transport

Cheers
Mash...

Originally posted by tom's mum
Does anyone have any experince of taking their car with them? We will hopefully, fingers crossed (etc etc) be going to New Zealand in November. My car is a vauxhall corsa and is only a year old. How much of a hassle is it to take it with us and will it work out too expensive compared with buying in NZ?

Old May 11th 2003, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tom's mum

Hi, If taking to NZ with PR you won't pay duty as long as you've owned it for over 1yr. Modern cars do have to pass various things which I don't know much about, think they have different safety regulations. We're taking our Triumph Stag, as it's nearly 30yrs old it's actually a bit easier.

Had a quote from Karmann Shipping (got the link for them somewhere) for approx £1200 in a sole use container, roll on/off would come in cheaper though. With the container we can fill up any left over space with other stuff.

Not sure whether it would be cost effective for you, but second hand car prices do seem a lot higher than over here, so maybe!

Gra...
Old May 11th 2003, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Gra.B
Hi, If taking to NZ with PR you won't pay duty as long as you've owned it for over 1yr. Modern cars do have to pass various things which I don't know much about, think they have different safety regulations. We're taking our Triumph Stag, as it's nearly 30yrs old it's actually a bit easier.

Had a quote from Karmann Shipping (got the link for them somewhere) for approx £1200 in a sole use container, roll on/off would come in cheaper though. With the container we can fill up any left over space with other stuff.

Not sure whether it would be cost effective for you, but second hand car prices do seem a lot higher than over here, so maybe!

Gra...
I have to disagree. Cars are cheap in NZ, it's in Australia where cars are expensive.

NZ has no restrictions on importing 2nd hand cars comercially as their is no local car industry to protect and so loads of 2nd cars are imported form Japan cheaply, which keeps the price of all 2nd hand cars down.
Old May 12th 2003, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a quote from Karmann Shipping (got the link for them somewhere)
You can find the link and other info at, http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/motoring.php
Old May 12th 2003, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

In New Zealand the Corsa is known as a Holden Barina.

To get an idea of second prices check out the motoring section of the Herald:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/

In my experience cars are cheaper than in the UK.

Another factor to bear in mind is that it may be more expensive to insure an imported car. To clarfiy this you may want to contact one of the insurance companies over. Try www.ami.co.nz.

Good luck
Old May 12th 2003, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I have to disagree. Cars are cheap in NZ, it's in Australia where cars are expensive.

NZ has no restrictions on importing 2nd hand cars comercially as their is no local car industry to protect and so loads of 2nd cars are imported form Japan cheaply, which keeps the price of all 2nd hand cars down.
I think when I've looked before at cars I've been looking at things like Audi's & Saabs, probably 'coz I don't know all the Jap stuff. Perhaps it's just the european cars which are pricier.

Didn't know Vauxhalls were Holdens, that's probably why I couldn't find many!

I guess the opinion then is to leave it here.

Cheers...Gra..
Old May 12th 2003, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smithone
In New Zealand the Corsa is known as a Holden Barina.

To get an idea of second prices check out the motoring section of the Herald:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/

In my experience cars are cheaper than in the UK.

Another factor to bear in mind is that it may be more expensive to insure an imported car. To clarfiy this you may want to contact one of the insurance companies over. Try www.ami.co.nz.

Good luck
Hmm, with the current exchange rate, everything looks expensive. It's got to go back up sometime, surely!

On this topic, I wondered if anyone has shipped a car in with their household effects? A large container might well have room for house contents and a car.
Old May 12th 2003, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sofistek
Hmm, with the current exchange rate, everything looks expensive. It's got to go back up sometime, surely!

On this topic, I wondered if anyone has shipped a car in with their household effects? A large container might well have room for house contents and a car.
that's the plan, they said they could build a frame around the car & use the space above. Not sure how much room there is though..

Gra...
Old May 12th 2003, 9:03 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Gra.B
I think when I've looked before at cars I've been looking at things like Audi's & Saabs, probably 'coz I don't know all the Jap stuff. Perhaps it's just the european cars which are pricier.

Didn't know Vauxhalls were Holdens, that's probably why I couldn't find many!

I guess the opinion then is to leave it here.

Cheers...Gra..
indeed. A V6 family holden or a ford or jap car wil set you back 30,000 -35,000 k ish.

A BMW though is more like 50 odd. (I think)

Stick to Mitsibishi, Toyota, Ford and Holden.

badgers