Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking aquarium bits to Oz

Taking aquarium bits to Oz

Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Loz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud of
Default Taking aquarium bits to Oz

Hello All,
now that we've got buyers for the house I need to start stripping down my marine fish tank. All fish should be gone soon (sniff, sniff). Then I need to start selling my tank and equipment.
I will probably like to set up a new tank once in Oz. So I was wondering, would I have any problems getting my equipment into Oz without incurring the wrath of AQIS?

I would be interested to here if anyone else has done the same.

Cheers, Loz.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 10:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking aquarium bits to Oz

Originally Posted by Loz4Oz
Hello All,
now that we've got buyers for the house I need to start stripping down my marine fish tank. All fish should be gone soon (sniff, sniff). Then I need to start selling my tank and equipment.
I will probably like to set up a new tank once in Oz. So I was wondering, would I have any problems getting my equipment into Oz without incurring the wrath of AQIS?

I would be interested to here if anyone else has done the same.

Cheers, Loz.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232277

might help
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

We brought all of ours with us except the tanks. I gave then a good soak in vinegar and they came up like new (although the house smelt lke a chippy while they were soaking). The packers were a bit concerned about the T5 tubes but they put them in the wardrobe box and they made it here in one piece.

We haven't found any Deltec stuff yet and the marine keeping seems to be behind the UK but stuff is available and one thing we have noticed is their coral is a lot cheaper (often less in dollars than it would be in pounds in the UK). Unfortunately their husbandry also reminds me of the UK a few years back but hopefully that will also improve.

One of the biggest problems we've found is finding a tank, the quality here for the bigger tanks just doesn't seem anywhere near as good with most having black seams covering all the corners. We've now found a place that imports Aquamedic (including their tanks) so I'm probably gonig to get another little one of their cubes although I haven't decided what I'm going to put in it yet as the range of fish here seems to be a lot less and mainly the 'bread and butter' ones you'd get in the UK whereas I like the oddballs (My UK tank had frogfish).
Old Nov 18th 2006, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Loz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info, that has been really useful.
I'm not planning on taking my tank, just the some of the gear I have. It's only the skimmer and heaters I was concerned about as all the other stuff has not been in contact with the saltwater.

Thanks again, Loz.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:58 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Now I know you are a Mod Polly, with special 'Mod Powers', but how the Hell do you remember all the old threads!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Now I know you are a Mod Polly, with special 'Mod Powers', but how the Hell do you remember all the old threads!
I can only remember the ones which make me scream with laughter (like the clothes peg one) or often ones that I've discussed with people - in this case the poster dmf is a friend of mine, and I remembered her bringing the fish tank

(plus I have a sad life that invovles spending a lot of time on here )
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well - same reply as I put 2 1/2 years ago (Jeez where did all that time go! :scared.

I brought my tank with me - having bleached it first then given it a good clean. Everything came through without a problem (including the 2 years worth of consumables). Only thing AQIS seized was an unopened box of fish food.