Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking ADSL Devices to Oz

Taking ADSL Devices to Oz

Old May 29th 2006, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

mattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura about
Default Taking ADSL Devices to Oz

Hi

I was thinking of taking my ADSL Wireless router to Oz...

Can anyone tell me if Oz ISPs would use "AnnexA ADSL" ?

Matt
Old May 29th 2006, 8:30 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Taking ADSL Devices to Oz

Originally Posted by mattvicki
Hi

Matt
I don't see why not - but you may need new firmware (click here.)
Old May 29th 2006, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice
Default Re: Taking ADSL Devices to Oz

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I don't see why not - but you may need new firmware (click here.)
Hmm, didn't even think about this to be honest.

Just lashed out a ton on a new wireless router/modem.

It better bloomin work down there!
Old May 29th 2006, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Matt

Make sure you can get ADSL first. It's more difficult to get here than in the UK.
Old May 29th 2006, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Make sure you can get ADSL first. It's more difficult to get here than in the UK.
I took a Belkin and it worked out of the box.
Old May 30th 2006, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Matt
I got one from Telstra when I first arrived and then replaced it with my UK netgear. I think the standard ADSL-RJ12 cable works fine. However, one of the settings for the ADSL definition itself was different from the UK. Once I worked it out and changed it in the setup it was fine. [Be warned its an obscure setting].

I should point out of course that your model may not be approved for connection to the Oz phone network......
Old May 30th 2006, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Saint Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Matt

We brought with us our ADSL wireless router, our first serviced apartment came with its own broadband access and now we have moved to a rented house it has cable, so had to buy the router for cable, cost $189 and I installed it myself no problems. Much quicker than ADSL too.

So I would check if you know where you will be living before bringing too many things that you won't need when you get here.

Andy