TAFE or Uni

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute
Default TAFE or Uni

Hi,
my son is 18 on new years eve and will be finishing his second year at college in june/july 06. we are hoping to be in Aus for july/aug.
My query is would he go to a TAFE or would he be able to go straight to uni, and how do we know if his qualifications are valid or not.
Have tried looking on different sites but can't grasp their terminology Could anyone shed any light on this for me, thanx in advance Lol
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:10 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TAFE or Uni

Originally Posted by Keith&Lol
Hi,
my son is 18 on new years eve and will be finishing his second year at college in june/july 06. we are hoping to be in Aus for july/aug.
My query is would he go to a TAFE or would he be able to go straight to uni, and how do we know if his qualifications are valid or not.
Have tried looking on different sites but can't grasp their terminology Could anyone shed any light on this for me, thanx in advance Lol
Hi Lol,
I think you might have to just contact the Uni or TAFE for their advice. I've got the same problem but my daughter will only be 17 by the time we arrive. The school we contacted said that she would have to do a whole Yr12 in order to get into Uni, which would mean she has to repeat the year. When I phoned TAFE they said that she doesn't have to repeat the year to enrol with them but there is a cut off date by which she has to enrol for certain courses. So this is the way she wants to go.
Good Luck
Julie
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

It will depend on what they want to study???

TAFE is similar to City and Guilds in that it has a focus on trades, but also does business diploma courses etc.

Uni's do completely different courses such as degree's etc.

They are actually 2 different types of Education providers...
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

It all depends which course he wants and which uni he wishes to attend.

Uni semester stars at the end of Feb. TAFE starts end of Jan (I think). I'm at Edith Cowan Uni in Joondalup, if I can help you in any way I will.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Hi Lol,
I think you might have to just contact the Uni or TAFE for their advice. I've got the same problem but my daughter will only be 17 by the time we arrive. The school we contacted said that she would have to do a whole Yr12 in order to get into Uni, which would mean she has to repeat the year. When I phoned TAFE they said that she doesn't have to repeat the year to enrol with them but there is a cut off date by which she has to enrol for certain courses. So this is the way she wants to go.
Good Luck
Julie
Thanx guess we'll just have to wait and see...Lol
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hels
It will depend on what they want to study???

TAFE is similar to City and Guilds in that it has a focus on trades, but also does business diploma courses etc.

Uni's do completely different courses such as degree's etc.

They are actually 2 different types of Education providers...
Thanx for the info I didn't realise that. Oh well back to the grind Lol
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TraceyW
It all depends which course he wants and which uni he wishes to attend.

Uni semester stars at the end of Feb. TAFE starts end of Jan (I think). I'm at Edith Cowan Uni in Joondalup, if I can help you in any way I will.
Hi as far as i know he is already doing psychology,chemistry,sociology and something i can't remember. Eventually he would like a career in either police forensics or a shrink type person. Is there any job prospects in these sort of area's. Thanx for any help or info. Lol
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Thanx for the info I didn't realise that. Oh well back to the grind Lol

From the post you have put with what he might like to end up doing why dont you look on the Police force website for the state you are going to and get advice from them as to what they look for?

It sounds like it would definatly be a Uni degree in which case you would need to find a Uni that does the course he needs...

Sounds like you need to do a bit of research...
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

From the post you have put with what he might like to end up doing why dont you look on the Police force website for the state you are going to and get advice from them as to what they look for?

It sounds like it would definatly be a Uni degree in which case you would need to find a Uni that does the course he needs...

Sounds like you need to do a bit of research...
Hi Hels, we've only just decided on Victoria, Seaford/Mordialloc area and have been looking at Monash uni, done some reasearch but unfortunately don't understand most of it. Hadn't thought of looking on the police website so will give that a try. Thanx loads Lol
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

Hi Hels, we've only just decided on Victoria, Seaford/Mordialloc area and have been looking at Monash uni, done some reasearch but unfortunately don't understand most of it. Hadn't thought of looking on the police website so will give that a try. Thanx loads Lol

You probably have it already, but this site is great for info...

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Home.htm

Hope it helps
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

You probably have it already, but this site is great for info...

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Home.htm

Hope it helps

Brilliant, it should keep me going for a while. Lol
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Hi there, you dont say where you are heading for, you go into Uni on points, my daughter was 2 points short, so has just done a pathway [6 months] then starts in Feb. My son comes over in jan he is doing 2 yrs at Mt lawley, he got 120 points credited he has done 1 yr in UK. If you are coming over to WA i will give you a really good contact at ECU, Denise
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Hi as far as i know he is already doing psychology,chemistry,sociology and something i can't remember. Eventually he would like a career in either police forensics or a shrink type person. Is there any job prospects in these sort of area's. Thanx for any help or info. Lol
Be warned he may need English and Maths to get onto any uni course in Oz as these are compulsory year 12 subjects over here and all uni's seem to have them, or at least English as a prerequesite, we are in that position at the moment as we arrived in September, our son has 4 A levels completed in June this year and wants to go to uni in Feb, but he didn't do either English or Maths past GCSE. May find that they either have to do a bridging course first or take year 12 to get Oz equivalent. We have to wait and get his certificates assessed before we'll know and they aren't available yet from the UK, so time will soon be running out for this years applications anyway. Its not as straight forward as you may think!
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:33 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

As a previous poster mentioned Uni is points based. If you dont meet the requirements then , as mentioned , there is the pathways option. These are usually run by the Uni's but be warned can be very expensive.

The other option is TAFE. This has many benefits. If there is a course that is closely related to the Uni course then you can receive credits towards your degree and possibly only have to complete the last couple of years of the uni (get credits towards subjects already covered in Tafe). The pathway from TAFE can be a)transfer to Uni after 1 year or b)complete the TAFE diploma (or cert) have a qual and apply to the uni.

It has to be remembered though a TAFE qual alone is not enough to be certain of a Uni place - you have to score highly (possibly all distinctions).

Even if you dont have a Tafe course related to your prefered degree any diploma/cert can be accepted as ability of prior learning.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread!
My daughter is taking 4 AS levels - English and Maths are not included! So it looks as if she would need to do yr 12 (VCE,) if we went to Victoria. She found Maths difficult but managed a grade B in GCSE , but she'll be very upet to hear she has to study maths again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.