Sydney views

Old May 9th 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

andydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura about
Default Sydney views

Hi

Wife and I were at a party on Saturday night and met a girl who was over here from Oz and thought i'd share her comments and hopefully get some more views.

Got speaking about our move out to Oz and when i said we were thinking of Sydney she almost choked on her drink. She said DON'T go to Sydney and avoid going if we can. Her reasons were something along the lines of lots of gangs hanging around street corners, lots of drugs, lots of crime, certain areas were no go areas for fear of serious trouble and she gave the general impression it was an unfriendly place.

Realise it just one persons view but came away thinking bugger that not going to Sydney can get all that here. We would welcome your views on what sydney is really like and is it a safe and good place for a young family.

Thanks

Andy
Old May 9th 2006, 11:04 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney views

Originally Posted by andydon
lots of gangs hanging around street corners, lots of drugs, lots of crime, certain areas were no go areas for fear of serious trouble and she gave the general impression it was an unfriendly place.
That could describe any major city in the world. Go to the wrong parts and they're not nice.

Don't let her put you off. Sample it for yourself and make your own mind up
Old May 9th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Hi

Wife and I were at a party on Saturday night and met a girl who was over here from Oz and thought i'd share her comments and hopefully get some more views.

Got speaking about our move out to Oz and when i said we were thinking of Sydney she almost choked on her drink. She said DON'T go to Sydney and avoid going if we can. Her reasons were something along the lines of lots of gangs hanging around street corners, lots of drugs, lots of crime, certain areas were no go areas for fear of serious trouble and she gave the general impression it was an unfriendly place.

Realise it just one persons view but came away thinking bugger that not going to Sydney can get all that here. We would welcome your views on what sydney is really like and is it a safe and good place for a young family.

Thanks

Andy
Hiya,

My husband is from Sydney, and would probably say very similar things about the place.
The fact is, yes, Sydney is just like any other city....it's not really much different to London (we've lived in both) same problems.....biggest difference is that Sydney's sunny more often!
Don't be put of going there though, if that's where your heart is set on going.....just don't expect it to be an escape from all that you hate about the UK.
Hope this helps.
Tanya
Old May 9th 2006, 11:28 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Andy
Like wmoore said - that could be a description of just about any city in the world. Sydney's got problems, London's got problems, Melbourne's got problems, Manchester's got problems. There's not a city on earth that won't have drug and crime issues.

I wouldn't let it put you off, it's like someone telling an aussie not to move to London because brixton's a bit rough. Yeah - but what about the rest of the city and all that it has to offer??

Graham
Old May 9th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all
Unhappy Re: Sydney views

Originally Posted by northerner
Like wmoore said - that could be a description of just about any city in the world. Sydney's got problems, London's got problems, Melbourne's got problems, Manchester's got problems. There's not a city on earth that won't have drug and crime issues.

I wouldn't let it put you off, it's like someone telling an aussie not to move to London because brixton's a bit rough. Yeah - but what about the rest of the city and all that it has to offer??

Graham
Yep, very true.....
The main thing to bear in mind I guess, (especially if you have young kids like us) is that the nice parts tend to be pricier to buy homes in....we really wanted to go back to Sydney (as all of my husbands family live there) but to be honest, in order for my husband to avoid a 1 hour commute to work etc....we would need to live in a relatively central area(well, by australian standards!!!), and the 3\4 bed houses in the nice parts of these areas are far too expensive for us.... Yes, we could live further out... bla bla, but then we are completely missing the point of moving back, and will have less family time than we have now...
Tanya
Old May 9th 2006, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Hi

Thanks

Andy

Did she specifically mention areas?

i know a few areas to avoid, but likewise, there are far more areas that are a safe place to live.

Sydney's a great place, lived there for a 14months in 2001/2002. IMO, the northern suburbs are best ie to Hornsby region. and near the coast.

Others are just as good, but pricier.

Places to avoid, IMO, are mainly located in the SW region. ie, Bankstown,Punchbowl, Cabramatta, Lakemba etc

Unfortunately, the property prices have shot up since then and for us essentially too expensive, plus the added challenge of tougher job market to crack put us off a return there.

I think looking back, the place is a great for tourists but not to live and work.

We chose Perth instead and havent regretted it.
Old May 9th 2006, 12:45 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Stop slagging sydney

Its a great place with a great harbour to go with it.

Yes there are parts of Sydney which are trouble zones, but thats part of any city.....there is always one bad apple......

It depends what you are after from Australia, the same you pay more for a brand name, e.g. Sydney is the most expensive city to live in OZ
Old May 9th 2006, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rapitts
Stop slagging sydney

Its a great place with a great harbour to go with it.

Yes there are parts of Sydney which are trouble zones, but thats part of any city.....there is always one bad apple......

It depends what you are after from Australia, the same you pay more for a brand name, e.g. Sydney is the most expensive city to live in OZ

Too add, some of the people( Sydneysiders), I found to be arrogant about their city. They thought it the top city to live...I begged to differ!!
Old May 9th 2006, 1:13 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

SO!

To recap Andy.... Any city is going to have problems in areas, just as Sydney does. But it's also a great city - go out and find out for yourselves I'd say!! Don't be put off going to a particular place because of someones PERSONAL opinion about it...

Graham
Old May 9th 2006, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

andydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura about

Graham

"go out and find out for ourselves" my thoughts exactly

If we don't go we will never know, eh

Cheers

Originally Posted by northerner
SO!

To recap Andy.... Any city is going to have problems in areas, just as Sydney does. But it's also a great city - go out and find out for yourselves I'd say!! Don't be put off going to a particular place because of someones PERSONAL opinion about it...

Graham