Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney v Melbourne - cost of living

Sydney v Melbourne - cost of living

Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:18 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Question Sydney v Melbourne - cost of living

I've asked this elsewhere, but thought it might be worth its own thread...

I've been wondering about the difference in cost of living between Sydney and Melbourne.... obviously housing is the BIG one , but aside from that, what else should be factored in when looking at what can be massive salary differences between the two places?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:11 am
Badge

Default Re: Sydney v Melbourne - cost of living

Originally Posted by floss

I've been wondering about the difference in cost of living between Sydney and Melbourne.... obviously housing is the BIG one , but aside from that, what else should be factored in when looking at what can be massive salary differences between the two places?
About the same I would say, Melbourne houses prices quite a bit cheaper - I was pleasantly surprised - its why I am here and not there.

BAdge

Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:31 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Badge
About the same I would say, Melbourne houses prices quite a bit cheaper - I was pleasantly surprised - its why I am here and not there.

BAdge
We had this discussion yesterday me and the other half, I am for a new start in Melbourne, first and basic research tells us the same - Melbourne might give us a better opportunity to get on our feet quicker.

M

Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:40 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Red face Re: Sydney v Melbourne - cost of living

Originally Posted by Merlot
We had this discussion yesterday me and the other half, I am for a new start in Melbourne, first and basic research tells us the same - Melbourne might give us a better opportunity to get on our feet quicker.

M
Yes, I have to admit I am SO committed personally to the life I could see unfolding for me in Melbourne - but a poster on another thread said something that made me think.. "not at any cost".... Melbourne seems so much more like 'home' to me at the moment but I wonder about the long-term implications if we would be SO much better off financially in Sydney... Ho-hum
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:46 am
Merlot

Yes, I have to admit I am SO committed personally to the life I could see unfolding for me in Melbourne - but a poster on another thread said something that made me think.. "not at any cost".... Melbourne seems so much more like 'home' to me at the moment but I wonder about the long-term implications if we would be SO much better off financially in Sydney... Ho-hum
We lived in Sydney for 4 years, for me I feel like I have been there, done that. Also housing to buy seems more possible in Melbourne.

The truth is as long as we are happy and that is what you need to look at, does your everyday existing make you happy. I feel such a draw to discover Melbourne too.

A hard one I know.

Best of luck
M

Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:09 am
Jammy Dodger

Smile Re: Sydney v Melbourne - cost of living

Originally Posted by Merlot
We lived in Sydney for 4 years, for me I feel like I have been there, done that. Also housing to buy seems more possible in Melbourne.

The truth is as long as we are happy and that is what you need to look at, does your everyday existing make you happy. I feel such a draw to discover Melbourne too.

A hard one I know.

Best of luck
M
Nail on the head time.... "as long as we are happy"... right now, I'm drowning financially, hating my job, can't afford to take advantage of opportunities around me and a deep yearning to move to pastures new partly just for the hell of it...... it may be that just changing one of these would be enough of a change, but then again - it's not that money is the be all and end all, or that I think that being on a more even keel financially will automatially bring happiness.... but I may be willing to give it a go!!!

p.s. I know that moving doesn't SOLVE problems - but a lot of us (maybe it's just a 'woman of a certain age' thing ) feel constrained by the circumstances in which we find ourselves living, and regard a new start as an opportunity to redefine ourselves... especially if some of the new circumstances are a little easier to live with - like the weather, the people, the beaches...

wow - getting a little deep and meaningful here!!! sorry!!!
Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:19 am
Merlot

Nail on the head time.... "as long as we are happy"... right now, I'm drowning financially, hating my job, can't afford to take advantage of opportunities around me and a deep yearning to move to pastures new partly just for the hell of it...... it may be that just changing one of these would be enough of a change, but then again - it's not that money is the be all and end all, or that I think that being on a more even keel financially will automatially bring happiness.... but I may be willing to give it a go!!!

p.s. I know that moving doesn't SOLVE problems - but a lot of us (maybe it's just a 'woman of a certain age' thing ) feel constrained by the circumstances in which we find ourselves living, and regard a new start as an opportunity to redefine ourselves... especially if some of the new circumstances are a little easier to live with - like the weather, the people, the beaches...

wow - getting a little deep and meaningful here!!! sorry!!!
Just sent you a PM!

M

Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

If you want to start all over again & get back on your feet quick, go to Melbourne. Every dollar you earn extra in Sydney goes into increased living expenses. Haven't lived there but I've got friends who started out at about the same time as us with about the same circumstances, living there & they are battling, whilst we are breezing through.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:31 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by G'Day
If you want to start all over again & get back on your feet quick, go to Melbourne. Every dollar you earn extra in Sydney goes into increased living expenses. Haven't lived there but I've got friends who started out at about the same time as us with about the same circumstances, living there & they are battling, whilst we are breezing through.
That is positive news.

M