Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Suburbs???

Sydney Suburbs???

Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sydney Suburbs???

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think it depends on how tight the rental market is.

Up here in Queensland, Rent Bidding is now against the law.
oh ok - thats interesting
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bananalana
HI Luke Brown

I have been looking on lots of real estate sies and it all depends on the suburb you live in. Obviously water front properties are prime rentals and are at the ridiculous end of the scale but the further out you go the lower the rent seems.

I am not sure what suburbs are worth living in though.

I was looking at a rental in Bankstown for $400 a week. 3 Bed with double garage and easy maintenance yard.

We currently in NZ pay NZD$265 for a 15 year old 2 bedroom house with internal garage in a really nice neighbourhood, which is cheap but we are also a one hour commute from the city and work.

When we move we dont want to commute for that long if we can help it.
Do not live in Bankstown - or anywhere near there.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Thanks highersights.

We have already established not to live in Bankstown.

I have ben talking to my friend who lived in Sydney for 6 years (now lives in Townsville), and she has given me a list of suburbs:

penhurst
mortdale
oatley
strathfield
ashfield is ok she said
croydon
burwood heights
hurstville

Are these ok?

She also said to live along the blue trainline, or the yellow one. She said that the purple tranline is bad so dont live there.

She pretty much said that the yellow and blue ones are the australian neighborhoods and most of the others are ethnic.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Soton2Sydney
Hiya - Good luck with your move.

All I would say is that Sydney rental prices are high and its really competitive market, there is a viewing day and people even out bid each other. Its a hard place to get a property we hired a agent on our behalf which worked out really helpful, we got a fully furnished place which is like Gold dust in Sydney and we pack $720 a week but we live in the Eastern Suburbs and always a little pricier. I would advise is to get Air con..a lot of peolpe will tell you, you wont need it.. All I would say is if you go on holiday and get a air con room/hotel/apartment you will need one here. I made that mistake..and paying for it after shelling out for a portable air con machine $800 later.
There are much cheaper places just need to be savy and remember everything is negoatiable.. its not like England when there is pretty much a set price.
Giood Luck..
If you need anything else let me know been here 5 months..
guess someone forgot to tell this guy about the 'crisis': http://halans.vox.com/library/post/w...al-crisis.html