Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GC Private schools -Saint Stephen's/Somerset - does anyone have children there?

GC Private schools -Saint Stephen's/Somerset - does anyone have children there?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

AussieDiva is on a distinguished road
Default GC Private schools -Saint Stephen's/Somerset - does anyone have children there?

We arrive in Queensland on the 11th March and we are very keen to live somewhere on the Gold Coast and I'm gathering possible schools together for a short list of those we wish to visit in person. We'll probably spend a month or so exploring different areas to decide the best place for us to live, but our choice of school will be the main deciding factor (we work from home).

If you can help we would love some opinions from people who have their children at Saint Stephens or Somerset College (or even considered these schools but perhaps chose otherwise?) These are the two we are most interested in visiting when we arrive, but if there are others we should also include please let me know.

My daughters are still very young (5 and 9 months!) so we are also interested in sending them both to state primary schools first, and then moving them private when they are older. So for example we are interested in Clover Hill primary as a stepping stone to Somerset. Again if anyone has done this we'd love to hear your experiences.

Many thanks everyone!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GC Private schools -Saint Stephen's/Somerset - does anyone have children there?

I don't know about the qualities or negatives of either school except after 3 years here I think Somerset is possibly better (nothing definite to base that decision on though). One thing I would say, the uniform for St Stephens is absolutely bloody awful and inappropriate for the climate and there is no way I would buy it let alone make my child wear it
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: GC Private schools -Saint Stephen's/Somerset - does anyone have children there?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I don't know about the qualities or negatives of either school except after 3 years here I think Somerset is possibly better (nothing definite to base that decision on though). One thing I would say, the uniform for St Stephens is absolutely bloody awful and inappropriate for the climate and there is no way I would buy it let alone make my child wear it
Somerset is a very academic School and had 14 OP1's this ( I saw the add in the paper) I am sure it is a great school and I have heard many good stories, however, I have also heard that a lot of kids have been leaving and going to All Saints.

I do not know anything about St Stephens.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

EEK! That sounds pretty dreadful when you say inappropriate for the climate how is that? I've seen the pics on their website and it looks alright, although they seem to have a bright orange blazer which I agree looks way to garish. But I figured they'd never wear it, surely, with the heat??

Originally Posted by debsy
Somerset is a very academic School and had 14 OP1's this ( I saw the add in the paper) I am sure it is a great school and I have heard many good stories, however, I have also heard that a lot of kids have been leaving and going to All Saints.

I do not know anything about St Stephens.
I had heard that Somerset had a high academic record (at least on paper) - equally so with All Saints actually (I had in the back of mind to visit this one too but somehow it keeps being forgotten about). Then it will be interesting to discover how we feel when we actually visit - I believe many parents get a gut feeling about a place...
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I have a friend with one child in TSS ( the southport school) which is the most expensive here... She says its ok. Her other child goes to the academy but thats only from age 14!!

St Hildas girls school has a good name too...

However Varsity and Benowa have very good reputations and are state schools..
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
I have a friend with one child in TSS ( the southport school) which is the most expensive here... She says its ok. Her other child goes to the academy but thats only from age 14!!

St Hildas girls school has a good name too...

However Varsity and Benowa have very good reputations and are state schools..
Have a friend who's boy went to TSS and they failed him badly. Had to leave and find his own apprenticeship with no assistance from the school. Their daughter was at St Hildas and after a year was so unhappy because of the snobbery and bitchiness of the girls, they took her out and sent her to Helensvale State High where she is very happy. These are not isolated cases.

Both schools may be excellent academically but socially and the other important lessons in life they are crap in my opinion.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

I have thee children at St Stephens am so far very happy. we went around to alot of the schools on the northern gold coast and for our children St Stephens felt right. Good OP scores but above all good ethos and focus on citizenship.

I guess if yours our young enough. take some time and look around the schools and get a feel for them.

nb. I agree with the orange blazer comment. But actually in real life, when lot's together it's not that bad, and let's face it this is queensland how often are they going to wear it.

Good luck in whichever you decide
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flodsfive
I have thee children at St Stephens am so far very happy. we went around to alot of the schools on the northern gold coast and for our children St Stephens felt right. Good OP scores but above all good ethos and focus on citizenship.

I guess if yours our young enough. take some time and look around the schools and get a feel for them.

nb. I agree with the orange blazer comment. But actually in real life, when lot's together it's not that bad, and let's face it this is queensland how often are they going to wear it.

Good luck in whichever you decide
Thanks for that - your feedback hugely appreciated.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by flodsfive
For something that's not going to be worn very much (if ever if I had to wear it ), how much does it cost? The skirt is too long and heavy as well I think. But most of the private or church schools have the same type of skirt, put with long socks and I imagine the kids are a bit 'hummy' at the end of the day
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Don't know if this helps but ....

I did work at TSS for a while in the 90's and it is a large, testosterone fuelled boys school. Very formal, British even, with a big emphasis on order and rank etc.

I enjoyed working there but not one for the daughters if we eventually head back there!

I had colleagues who had spouses at Somerset who spoke highly of it as a school (I think they do the IB in the Senior School these days) whilst at the time All Saints was just being founded. I had the chance to do some study there a while ago and it it seemed a very good school.

Bezza
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Don't know if this helps but ....

I did work at TSS for a while in the 90's and it is a large, testosterone fuelled boys school. Very formal, British even, with a big emphasis on order and rank etc.

I enjoyed working there but not one for the daughters if we eventually head back there!

I had colleagues who had spouses at Somerset who spoke highly of it as a school (I think they do the IB in the Senior School these days) whilst at the time All Saints was just being founded. I had the chance to do some study there a while ago and it it seemed a very good school.

Bezza

Thanks Bezza - I'm not considering TSS so that's good!

The IB is one of the main reasons I like the sound of Somerset - I also like the non-denominational nature of the "religious" element. Although I was raised Catholic I would prefer a less intense environment for my two girls - so St Hildas is a no. Looking for a more secular approach. I'm sure All Saints would fit that as well being Anglican...

Are any of the State High schools "selective"? In Sydney and Melbourne there are high schools where entrance is based on an academic exam...I would really like to know as I haven't seen any so far that seem to do this. They are an excellent alternative that I would also consider should my girls end up being brainy. Who knows though, they are still very young.

I would sincerely love to settle them in and know that regardless of the direction they end up wanting to go in, their school will support them enough.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

To be honest, I think that the age your kids are, you are in an ideal position for when you move over. You will have plenty of time to have them happy and settled in a small primary (in years to come for the bub ) whilst having time to get a really good feel for the schools you're interested in. Whilst say St Stephens may have a great reputation but in six years time when it's time for your daughter to move on, it may have changed.

I understand the concern but if it were me, I'd knock that worry off your list and move on to another one - you must have others, I had hundreds before I moved
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

You will need to get their names down very early for All Saints as it has a very long waiting list. A lot of people put their kids names down when they are born
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by debsy
You will need to get their names down very early for All Saints as it has a very long waiting list. A lot of people put their kids names down when they are born
Ignore my comment then
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Ignore my comment then
Will give you a ring soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.