Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Rentals/Suburbs

Sydney Rentals/Suburbs

Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Sydney Rentals/Suburbs

Where going on our reccie at the end of January and I'm trying to find areas for a rental to go and take a look at whilst there.

I've come up with a few areas and would appreciate any input on these.

We're looking for 3 bed, upto an hours travel from CBD (presume thats where I'll be working, in IT), between $450 - $550 a week, in a decent area with school for 5 year old and things to keep her amused!

Areas I have that seem to fit the price criteria are, basically followed the train tracks:

Hornsby and surrounding (Asquith, Normanhurst, Cherrybrook, Thornleigh, Beecroft, Pennant Hills, Epping Norrth, Wahroonga, Warrawee, Pymble)

Paramatta and surrounding (Auburn, Lidcombe, Carlingford, Telopea, Dundas, Rydalmere, Srathfield)

Ryde and Surrounding (Eastwood, Denistone, West Ryde, North Ryde, Gladville, Lane Cove, Woolwich)

East of Bankstown (Croydon, Enfield, Beverly Hills, Belfield, Belmore, Lakemba, Hurtsville, Mortdale, Campsie)

Maroubra, Mallabar

Sutherland ans surrounding (Oatley, Liannali, Kirrawee, Miranda, Caringbah, Woolooware, Cronulla)

Are any of these areas best avoided or recommended?

Coming soon...melbourne rentals!!!

Cheers,

Martin
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney Rentals/Suburbs

Hi Martin, I don't know enough about Sydney suburbs to be much help but just wanted to say that, if you're not certain where you will be working, I understand a lot of IT firms are north of the harbour, in the Chatswood/Artarmon areas.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hi Martin, I don't know enough about Sydney suburbs to be much help but just wanted to say that, if you're not certain where you will be working, I understand a lot of IT firms are north of the harbour, in the Chatswood/Artarmon areas.
Thanks I'll bear that in mind
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

We're happy in North Ryde. We feel it's fairly central and easy to get to CBD, Beaches etc. Lots of good parks for the kids (just 5 & 4). I have been impressed by the schools I have seen (in partic Kent Road Public School, East Ryde Public School and the Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School. The local shops at Coxs Road are good -- Lots of speciality shops: bakers, 2 dehlis, good butcher, pharmacists, library, toy library, the all important bottle shop (offie) and a few nice takeaway outlets (Chinese, Thai, Portugese chicken (!) Pizza. Fairly large shopping centre (Macquarie Centre) is only 5 min drive for us. Town is linked on an express bus route and there are regular buses into town throughout the day (every 10 mins). We also like to go into town by taking the ferry from Kissing Point which takes a bit longer but if you're not commuting it's a great way to travel! I have found the people friendly and helpful and there are lots of playgroups and sporting activities going on round and about for your family. I would say it is probably more of a family area than a hip and happening place but it suits us! The downside is that it's not especially near to anything: you have to travel to get to stuff but it's so central you're not that far from anything either.....
My sister lives in Maroubra. Some bits of it are really nice and it has the advantage of being close to the beach. But as I understand it, historically Maroubra has a reputation for being slightly rough and there are still some parts of maroubra with a more run down feel. I would imagine that you would find it hard to find a family house at that price in one of the nicer bits of maroubra...... but I havent looked so couldnt be sure.
Good Luck with everything....

PS I'm sure a forum search would give you lots of threads with other info on about your other suburbs.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Katherined0
We're happy in North Ryde. We feel it's fairly central and easy to get to CBD, Beaches etc. Lots of good parks for the kids (just 5 & 4). I have been impressed by the schools I have seen (in partic Kent Road Public School, East Ryde Public School and the Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School. The local shops at Coxs Road are good -- Lots of speciality shops: bakers, 2 dehlis, good butcher, pharmacists, library, toy library, the all important bottle shop (offie) and a few nice takeaway outlets (Chinese, Thai, Portugese chicken (!) Pizza. Fairly large shopping centre (Macquarie Centre) is only 5 min drive for us. Town is linked on an express bus route and there are regular buses into town throughout the day (every 10 mins). We also like to go into town by taking the ferry from Kissing Point which takes a bit longer but if you're not commuting it's a great way to travel! I have found the people friendly and helpful and there are lots of playgroups and sporting activities going on round and about for your family. I would say it is probably more of a family area than a hip and happening place but it suits us! The downside is that it's not especially near to anything: you have to travel to get to stuff but it's so central you're not that far from anything either.....
My sister lives in Maroubra. Some bits of it are really nice and it has the advantage of being close to the beach. But as I understand it, historically Maroubra has a reputation for being slightly rough and there are still some parts of maroubra with a more run down feel. I would imagine that you would find it hard to find a family house at that price in one of the nicer bits of maroubra...... but I havent looked so couldnt be sure.
Good Luck with everything....

PS I'm sure a forum search would give you lots of threads with other info on about your other suburbs.

Thanks for the info, I've heard that there are a few businesses around the Ryde area that use the area of IT I work in. Could be a good starting point for 10!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've inserted some comments about suburbs to avoid below.

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Areas I have that seem to fit the price criteria are, basically followed the train tracks:

Hornsby and surrounding (Asquith, Normanhurst, Cherrybrook, Thornleigh, Beecroft, Pennant Hills, Epping Norrth, Wahroonga, Warrawee, Pymble)
All those suburbs are fine

Paramatta and surrounding (Auburn, Lidcombe, Carlingford, Telopea, Dundas, Rydalmere, Srathfield)
Be vary wary around Parramatta. Definitely avoid Auburn and Lidcombe. Big mosque near Auburn - doubt you'd have much in common with your neighbours. Carlingford area is fine.

Ryde and Surrounding (Eastwood, Denistone, West Ryde, North Ryde, Gladville, Lane Cove, Woolwich)
All those suburbs are fine. Woolwich is millionaire country

East of Bankstown (Croydon, Enfield, Beverly Hills, Belfield, Belmore, Lakemba, Hurtsville, Mortdale, Campsie)
Be VERY wary around Bankstown. Lakemba also has a mosque. Beverley Hills and Hurstville areas are OK if a little dull.

Maroubra, Mallabar
Maroubra is OK. There are some rough bits but they're clustered together and you'd be unlikely to live in those parts. Malabar has a large jail but is OK if you don't mind that. Housing is cheaper in that direction than in the rest of the east so is a good area in my opinion. You have the advantages of the beach (and better weather) without the high price tags.

Sutherland ans surrounding (Oatley, Liannali, Kirrawee, Miranda, Caringbah, Woolooware, Cronulla).

All those areas are fine.

Are any of these areas best avoided or recommended?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NickyC
I've inserted some comments about suburbs to avoid below.
Thanks for that, very helpful.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 5:06 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Finance, generally is in the city, the other main areas as mention Chatwood, and nth Ryde/Macquarie Park (this is where OH works in IT). Is there a specific type of company you would be looking to work in?

We have just moved from St Ives, which is good (in Sydney terms!) car commute along Mona Vale/Ryde rd to Nth Ryde. Depending where abouts, can be just a 10min bus ride to Gordon station (which has much more parking available than other stations - if you were to drive there)

All the best
Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by walaj
Finance, generally is in the city, the other main areas as mention Chatwood, and nth Ryde/Macquarie Park (this is where OH works in IT). Is there a specific type of company you would be looking to work in?

We have just moved from St Ives, which is good (in Sydney terms!) car commute along Mona Vale/Ryde rd to Nth Ryde. Depending where abouts, can be just a 10min bus ride to Gordon station (which has much more parking available than other stations - if you were to drive there)

All the best
I've not got a job lined up and whilst I'll be trying to get something lined up before we leave, I don't plan on delaying departure until I have a job.

I work in Teradata and the main usage in Sydney loks to be the banking and telephony industries. Though there are a few outsourcing companies in CBD.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have decided to visit the following:

Thinking of going to Hornsby (maybe some of surounding), Ryde/ West Ryde, Sutherland and Cronulla.

Do any of you live in these areas and can recommend them or have details of any gems that are not mentioned that are around the areas above?

Cheers,
WW
Old Dec 8th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

We have decided to visit the following:

Thinking of going to Hornsby (maybe some of surounding), Ryde/ West Ryde, Sutherland and Cronulla.

Do any of you live in these areas and can recommend them or have details of any gems that are not mentioned that are around the areas above?

Cheers,
WW
Hornsby and surrounding suburbs is a great area - I live in Thornleigh (some bits nicer than others!), and my brother lives in Wahroonga (very nice, bit of a village feel to it). I'm paying $480 a week for a modern 3 bed town house. My partner commutes by train into the CBD, which takes him about 55 minutes. Have a look at cityrail.info for train times. Lots of people complain about the trains, but I think they're pretty good - far better than driving!
I like Hornsby because it is relatively easy to get into the city, but also easy to get out to some very nice rural areas. Also has a good shopping centre, cafes, etc, and am told has some good schools.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buzz
Hornsby and surrounding suburbs is a great area - I live in Thornleigh (some bits nicer than others!), and my brother lives in Wahroonga (very nice, bit of a village feel to it). I'm paying $480 a week for a modern 3 bed town house. My partner commutes by train into the CBD, which takes him about 55 minutes. Have a look at cityrail.info for train times. Lots of people complain about the trains, but I think they're pretty good - far better than driving!
I like Hornsby because it is relatively easy to get into the city, but also easy to get out to some very nice rural areas. Also has a good shopping centre, cafes, etc, and am told has some good schools.

Thanks, how far away are you from the nearest decent beach?
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

Thanks, how far away are you from the nearest decent beach?
About 40 minutes ish to Curl Curl / Dee Why - which are OK. I like Palm Beach, but that takes a bit longer to get to.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

We moved to Australia 4 weeks ago. We have just moved into a house in Maroubra. The beach is just under a half a mile walk and my husband commutes into the City daily on his new bike. This takes him 30 mins or 15 minutes drive by car on a good journey!!!

We have got our kids into a school outside of our catchment in Malabar. They don't start until 29th January, so the kids have had a very long break.

We have driven around the local area in Maroubra, La Perouse and Malabar. As my husband's job is in the city and his job offered us this rental we have been very pleased so far with everything. Maroubra beach is lovely for the kids and the sea breeze is lovely everyday.

We were offered a house near Liverpool. The commute from there would have been long everyday and very warm without the breeze.

From reading previous threads this area may not be top amongst others, but so far so good for us. Mostly the commute for my husband is ideal and for being so close to the beach too for all of us
Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Josie1100
We moved to Australia 4 weeks ago. We have just moved into a house in Maroubra. The beach is just under a half a mile walk and my husband commutes into the City daily on his new bike. This takes him 30 mins or 15 minutes drive by car on a good journey!!!

We have got our kids into a school outside of our catchment in Malabar. They don't start until 29th January, so the kids have had a very long break.

We have driven around the local area in Maroubra, La Perouse and Malabar. As my husband's job is in the city and his job offered us this rental we have been very pleased so far with everything. Maroubra beach is lovely for the kids and the sea breeze is lovely everyday.

We were offered a house near Liverpool. The commute from there would have been long everyday and very warm without the breeze.

From reading previous threads this area may not be top amongst others, but so far so good for us. Mostly the commute for my husband is ideal and for being so close to the beach too for all of us
Maroubra/Malabar and the Sutherland to Crronulla do appeal for the accessability to the beaches. I've told told that quite a lot of the IT jobs are likely to be North Sydney so Hornsby and the like also have appeal for access to work without being to faraway from the beaches.

How do you guys decide!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.