Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney to Perth drive?

Sydney to Perth drive?

Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney to Perth drive?

I did it 20 years ago on two wheels and it nearly killed me. Lots and lots of miles of pure mind numbing tedium; homicidal/suicidal (depending on view point) kangaroos/wombats. Road trains that will not stop or slow down for anyone or anything and the side draft off one of those things is horrendous.

I also have a mate who lives in Perth and who flew to Sydney and then cycled all the way back. Yes he is insane!!!

If the plan is to do it at a leisurely pace with plenty of stops/sight seeing then it could be great. But if you only have a short window to do it in I would chuck the stuff, fly and buy new when you got to Perth.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sydney to Perth drive?

I did it in 1974 when it was still a dirt road, it was a fantastic trip from Melbourne to Perth and back with the eldest, have done it since for a 3week stay in Perth with 3 children and my eldest did it last year...... its a wonderful journey and well worth putting up with upset tums from tin lids