Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Northern Beaches

Sydney Northern Beaches

Old Aug 24th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Canberra for 2 days......bored....now Narrabeen on Sydneys northern Beaches
mcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Sydney Northern Beaches

Have been in Aus for 2 months now and have settled in Narrabeen. I have a wife and 2 small children (3 and 9 months) but we are finding it difficult to meet similar people. We seemed to have moved into pensioners row and they are all lovely and helpful but could do with some younger company! Wife is at home all day with no transport and i work in the CBD. Anyone else out there in a similar position????
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sydney Northern Beaches

Hi. There are a lot of us here with kids who meet up pretty regularly and newcomers are always welcome. No transport is an issue though as venues vary and there isn't anyone close enough to you to give a lift. Most people who have kids the same age as yours are more Castle Hill direction and people travelling from that area generally only want to do the beaches when the weather is nicer

Keep an eye out for the next FTC meet (a regular meet up on the first Tuesday of the month). It's next week so binbird (who organises it) should be starting a thread soon and people then post suggestions about where they would like to meet. I presume your wife will have transport at some stage which will greatly increase her (and your) social options!

Pittwater sports centre in North Narrabeen has soft play and runs gym classes for kids amongst other things. I have made a couple of good friends here just from striking up conversations with friendly looking people while kids are doing the same activity so it might be a good place to hang out
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:09 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcstu1
Have been in Aus for 2 months now and have settled in Narrabeen. I have a wife and 2 small children (3 and 9 months) but we are finding it difficult to meet similar people. We seemed to have moved into pensioners row and they are all lovely and helpful but could do with some younger company! Wife is at home all day with no transport and i work in the CBD. Anyone else out there in a similar position????
I liked the look of Narrabeen when we drove through it on our 2nd day here but at the time we needed somewhere with good transport links. My wife was not working at the time and we ended up in Manly. She made lots of friends just by walking around with our son, he is 3, seems all mothers have this knowing smile when they meet others!!
There used to be this 'Mothers group' coffee gatherings at nearby beach cafes but now she is working her attendance is curtailed, much to her chagrin!! I know she would rather be a non working stay at home mum but our son has really benefitted from full time day care and her working means we can think of holidays!!
As mentioned the Pittwater centre has soft play and no doubt your wife has been exploring with the buggy, but, there is only so many times you can walk up and down the beach!!
Sorry we can't help during the week but if you fancy a weekend meet up, either come to Manly or we can come up to Narrabeen, just let us know, my wife can gas on for Britain and it would be good for her to talk to someone who is a bit interested in her TV likes (Pop Idol, etc etc)!!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is a little off topic, what's the commute like into the CBD from Narrabeen?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Location: Canberra for 2 days......bored....now Narrabeen on Sydneys northern Beaches
mcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura about

commute into cbd from narrabeen is by bus and takes between 45 mins and 75 mins depending on time of day. leave narrabeen around 7am and its more like 45 mins. leave narrabeen more like 7.30 - 8 and it takes longer. on the way home its the same story leave the city by 4pm or after 6pm for the faster journey.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

commute into cbd from narrabeen is by bus and takes between 45 mins and 75 mins depending on time of day. leave narrabeen around 7am and its more like 45 mins. leave narrabeen more like 7.30 - 8 and it takes longer. on the way home its the same story leave the city by 4pm or after 6pm for the faster journey.
Hi McStu,

We will be in Manly for a month from the end of september and probably will be relocating a little further north of there once we have a good look around as rents are a bit cheaper..

we have a 3 yr old boy and my missus wont be working intitally...we dont know ANYONE in australia and so will be defo up for a meet when we arrive...
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Ooo you lucky people living on the Northern Beaches.

We hope to do so one day when we've done our time in Melbourne, not that I don't like Melbourne but Freshwater was our first intro to Oz and I don't think it gets any better than that!

Just need to find a fab job in Sydney to fund it all!

Have fun up there.

K
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

popeye will become famous soon enoughpopeye will become famous soon enough

Hey, how are you
We live in narrabeen too, me the wife and 2 kids, been here just over 2 years, if you fancy meeting up some time for a few beers and a barbie/chat just give us a shout

pops
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:22 pm
GJT
Just Joined

GJT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I live in North Narrabeen, 2 boys 3.5 and 13 months. We are worried about the boys lack of friends. We are originally from the UK and lack a decent support network here so I am guessing we are in similiar situations.
Happy to meet up at a park one day to see how we all get on.