Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney new year's eve fireworks : things to watch out ?

Sydney new year's eve fireworks : things to watch out ?

Old Dec 29th 2005, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

teddy78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney new year's eve fireworks : things to watch out ?

we're thinking to go see fireworks on 31st night.
any particulars to watch out for families?
we're just worried about gangs and drunks.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Re: Sydney new year's eve fireworks : things to watch out ?

Originally Posted by teddy78
Watch out! The sky is falling!

If you go to the city, your greatest risk is getting separated from your loved ones.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 6:50 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Have you decided where in Sydney you intend to watch them? We are going to Circular Quay but i dont think thats a good idea with kids and you need to be there very early.
I would stick to official vantage points which have security and facilities laid on such as toiets, food and drink etc.

Heres a link to a fab website which shows you where to go and whats available at each place.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/nye/
Old Dec 29th 2005, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

The 9pm fireworks are specifically for families with children. Stay for them, then go home. Most of the heavy drinking will be done after 9pm so you probably won't even set eyes a single inebriated person.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 7:39 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nickyc
The 9pm fireworks are specifically for families with children. Stay for them, then go home. Most of the heavy drinking will be done after 9pm so you probably won't even set eyes a single inebriated person.

They might!!... i'm getting there early
Old Dec 29th 2005, 7:40 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Sydney new year's eve fireworks : things to watch out ?

On a friendly note I would bring soft drinks in plastic bottles. The price for drinks/food in the secure zones arent cheap (your bag is searched before entering any zones).

Dont turn up too late (6-7pm) as some secure areas may be closed, this happened at the opera house last year but was opened up again later.

Take some travel games to play while you are waiting for the fireworks.

Oh and Happy New Year
Old Dec 29th 2005, 7:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rapitts
On a friendly note I would bring soft drinks in plastic bottles. The price for drinks/food in the secure zones arent cheap (your bag is searched before entering any zones).

Dont turn up too late (6-7pm) as some secure areas may be closed, this happened at the opera house last year but was opened up again later.

Take some travel games to play while you are waiting for the fireworks.

Oh and Happy New Year

Hi Rapitts
Do they have special tents or something for drinks and food? We will be at the opera house forecourt, but i doubt we'll be allowed into the bars and restaurants to buy it will we?
We are going in the morning to make a whole day of it, but had already decided to take soft drinks and a bit of a pinic with us, but i would like an alcoholic drink or two in the evening.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I dont think you have to worry about that....when I was in Sydney on NYE in 1999 there was no problems at all. Everyone is in such a good mood.

SS
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:57 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

No Worries Lynda,

I'll be in the opera house looking down

Yeah there will probably be about 1-2 special tents selling beer, pies and soft drinks (plastic cups for the beer). The tents are placed on the forecourt, the upper level of the opera house is closed off, there will be a row of portable toilets under the stairs of the opera house (forecourt).

It gets pretty busy so get there early to find a spot and expect people to be camping right next to you. The back of the opera house is probalby the best spot if your going early or even mrs macquaries point (http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/n...r_web_2005.gif) as you can sit on the grass here and is probably the best place for views of the bridge and opera house (you miss the back drop of the opera house if your planning on staying on the forecourt).

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Hi Rapitts
Do they have special tents or something for drinks and food? We will be at the opera house forecourt, but i doubt we'll be allowed into the bars and restaurants to buy it will we?
We are going in the morning to make a whole day of it, but had already decided to take soft drinks and a bit of a pinic with us, but i would like an alcoholic drink or two in the evening.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rapitts
No Worries Lynda,

I'll be in the opera house looking down

Yeah there will probably be about 1-2 special tents selling beer, pies and soft drinks (plastic cups for the beer). The tents are placed on the forecourt, the upper level of the opera house is closed off, there will be a row of portable toilets under the stairs of the opera house (forecourt).

It gets pretty busy so get there early to find a spot and expect people to be camping right next to you. The back of the opera house is probalby the best spot if your going early or even mrs macquaries point (http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/n...r_web_2005.gif) as you can sit on the grass here and is probably the best place for views of the bridge and opera house (you miss the back drop of the opera house if your planning on staying on the forecourt).

Thankyou so much for the map Rappitts. We will have to stick with the forecourt as i have health probs which mean i cant walk too far at the moment (not a permanent thing) so we will be getting there dead early ad parking the car in the opera house car park. I rang them and they said a slong as its in there before 10am we can leave it there till it re opens at 1am.
So i guess you are going posh then!! Good for you. Give us a wave. I'll be wearing a big cream hat to keep the sun off..lol Have a great time
Old Dec 29th 2005, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

teddy78 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone for your replies.
Happy New Year!!