Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney or Melbourne for 2 day family 'stopover' in April?

Sydney or Melbourne for 2 day family 'stopover' in April?

Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sydney or Melbourne for 2 day family 'stopover' in April?

As per title thread, we're unsure whether Sydney or Melbourne would be better for us

Not visited Oz before but Sydney appears to have more of a 'wow' factor (Opera house, harbour etc) and offers more to see and do

Any opinions/advice including good places to stay (value for money and close to attractions) appreciated

Kids are aged 10 + 13

Thanks

BD
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sydney or Melbourne for 2 day family 'stopover' in April?

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
As per title thread, we're unsure whether Sydney or Melbourne would be better for us

Not visited Oz before but Sydney appears to have more of a 'wow' factor (Opera house, harbour etc) and offers more to see and do

Any opinions/advice including good places to stay (value for money and close to attractions) appreciated

Kids are aged 10 + 13

Thanks

BD
Hello! I can only speak for Sydney and I would imagine if you're only here for 2 nights you can afford to treat yourself a bit so I would suggest one of the large hotels on Darling Harbour which is a redeveloped area for tourists having several attractions such as the Sydney Aquarium and great restaurants. It's away from the city thoroughfares, like a sort of island in the harbour accessible by footbridge or the monorail. Close to Chinatown and easy to walk to city to board cityrail train (like the "tube') to Circular Quay to get to the Opera House and The Rocks (original area of convict settlement-historical and touristey but in a very nice way). From Circular Quay you could hop on the Manly Ferry so you get to view our beautiful harbour from the water (a must!-even if you just get the next ferry back) but Manly itself is nice for a day or half-day - beach etc. The ferry to Manly is an institution in itself! After 2 days you won't want to leave!
Hope this helps. Oh and you can rely on the weather more in Sydney
Old Sep 4th 2005, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Hello! I can only speak for Sydney and I would imagine if you're only here for 2 nights you can afford to treat yourself a bit so I would suggest one of the large hotels on Darling Harbour which is a redeveloped area for tourists having several attractions such as the Sydney Aquarium and great restaurants. It's away from the city thoroughfares, like a sort of island in the harbour accessible by footbridge or the monorail. Close to Chinatown and easy to walk to city to board cityrail train (like the "tube') to Circular Quay to get to the Opera House and The Rocks (original area of convict settlement-historical and touristey but in a very nice way). From Circular Quay you could hop on the Manly Ferry so you get to view our beautiful harbour from the water (a must!-even if you just get the next ferry back) but Manly itself is nice for a day or half-day - beach etc. The ferry to Manly is an institution in itself! After 2 days you won't want to leave!
Hope this helps. Oh and you can rely on the weather more in Sydney
TC

Many thanks for the info

I've done a bit more research and the Crowne Plaza Darling Harbour looks as though it may suit our needs

I just wondered (not being sure of the layout and size of Sydney) whether staying here would allow us to easily visit the main tourist attractions eg Opera House, Harbour bridge etc, and whether we could do this without having to hire a car

I should add that although the days we will spend in Sydney will be as part of our holiday, we have an additional motive in that we are hoping to get a feel for Australia and Australian living to allow us to make the big decision of whether or not to move there permanently if/when our visas are granted

(We will also be spending some time - 2 weeks or so - on the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane area in order to get as balanced a view as possible in the short time we will be there

Thanks for your help

Regards

BD
Old Sep 4th 2005, 3:24 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'd have to agree if its only for two nights Sydney would be better, if you were coming to live then Melbourne would be heaps better.

Darling Harbour is perfect, you can get the ferry from there round to Circular Quay which takes you under the Bridge then its just a 5 minute walk to the opera house.
I do like Darling harbour, I could sit & watch the world go bye for hours ( with a pint in hand of course )
Old Sep 4th 2005, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler

Kids are aged 10 + 13

Thanks

BD
Hi,
We've just been on our reccie trip and spent the last 3 nights in Sydney. Stayed at the Holiday Inn (The Rocks) which was really nice. Swimming pool and spa pool on roof with views of the bridge and the opera house whilst in pool. Walking distance down to the Opera House and round circular quay where you catch all the ferries to Darling Harbour, Manly etc. I felt this location was ideal. Got a real feel of the city.

L-j
Old Sep 4th 2005, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Hi,
We've just been on our reccie trip and spent the last 3 nights in Sydney. Stayed at the Holiday Inn (The Rocks) which was really nice. Swimming pool and spa pool on roof with views of the bridge and the opera house whilst in pool. Walking distance down to the Opera House and round circular quay where you catch all the ferries to Darling Harbour, Manly etc. I felt this location was ideal. Got a real feel of the city.

L-j
This hotel looks fantastic - particularly the rooftop pool!

The problem with it (and other hotels) is that they seem to allow a maximum of 3 people in a room whereas we need to be able to fit 4:
2 adults & 2 kids (10 & 13)

Thanks for the info though

BD