British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney - Location location location!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-location-location-location-506361/)

asher Feb 20th 2008 3:42 am

Re: Sydney - Location location location!!

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior (Post 5958100)
Hornsby looked pretty good, the area seemed to tick all our boxes and the shopping centre put a smile on the wife's face!:D

Looks like we are going to find it tough to get something in our price range in Sydney as $600k doesn't get you a whole lot. Friends out there suggested a unit as there is only my wife and our daughter, but the wife isn't too thrilled with that idea.

I have freinds that live in Balmain and Chatswood which are both really nice areas, but way out of my league!

My work is likely to be CBD or North Sydney (Ryde/Macquire Park) so was looking that side of the city.

There are always the areas around Botany Bay that seem a bit cheaper (i.e. Brighton-le-sands round to Cronulla) but presumably there would be a lot of noise from the airport and could take 1hr+ to work. Anyone any experience of these?

I didn't get a chance to go and visit any of the areas in South Sydney.

If any one knows of any areas were I can rent fro $500 pw and buy a 3 bedder for $600k with decent schools/shopping/pubs and not a million miles away from CBD (<=1hr on train)/beaches then feel free to let me know!;)

BTW - Townhouse will do!

yes I live in Cronulla when I'm in Oz Cronulla is expensive sutherland gets a lot of plane noise but its not noticeable in Cronulla Gymea is a cheap area
one good thing about the commute is that being the end of the line you always get a seat in the morning.
if you want ay more info pm me :thumbsup:

DrWho Feb 20th 2008 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Koalabaer (Post 5959224)
...if my wife will have to work close to Bondi junction, myself in the CBD, and the school for the children is located in Terrey Hills?...

Wow... that's a shit load of travelling you'll be doing...:eek::eek:

Jacque Feb 20th 2008 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior (Post 5958100)
If any one knows of any areas were I can rent fro $500 pw and buy a 3 bedder for $600k with decent schools/shopping/pubs and not a million miles away from CBD (<=1hr on train)/beaches then feel free to let me know!;)

BTW - Townhouse will do!

You should be OK with a townhouse Wigan. For eg:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1203539948

or even this house- good spot, about a 15min walk to station
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1203540179

I've actually seen this battleaxe home and consider it good value for money at the moment in this market. Also one of the area's better streets and close to Normanhurst station

Look around hard enough and you'll find something for sure.

Jacque Feb 20th 2008 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Koalabaer (Post 5959224)
Hi all, sorry to hijack this thread but I will be soon concerned. We also are coming to Sydney some time in August. I'm already having a look around, domain.com.au or realestate.com.au and for locations as a bird view, Google earth! What a beautiful city!! I can't wait to see by myself.
As Paddyo, we will stay in an apartment for the beginning and then we will discover the city and find the right place for us. We will have time; our move from Germany will take at least six weeks.
The question is: where should we try to find a house for 5, 2 adults + 3 monsters, if my wife will have to work close to Bondi junction, myself in the CBD, and the school for the children is located in Terrey Hills?
It looks like we are going to commute a lot...
I have done a little research and I think North Shore, Balgowlah, Manly could be an option, especially if we can take the ferry from Manly directly to Circular Quay and then the Bus.
Concerning the rental market, it looks like the location makes the price! And what a price! Per week! Just amazing. I have travelling around the world a bit, and honestly I did not know that Sydney was an expansive City for rentals...
I'm getting a wrong impression here?
Many thanks.

My opinion- change schools!!!! Unless you are going to be seriously dedicated to putting your children through a commute of minimum 3hrs per day (and that's driving them there as you can forget public transport!) it's just not feasible at all. Just going across the bridge from Bondi on a good weekday will take you an hr to get to the Northern Beaches... and then you have to trek inland to TH for at least another 1/2 hr. Nightmare!!!

By all means consider living at least on the northern side if this school is so important to you - I'm guessing it's the German International school? At least if you lived somewhere like Pymble/Gordon/Killara close enough to the railway line so that the adults can commute by train to work, the kids can then catch a bus along Mona Vale Rd to school. Much better option, and you will be able to rent something with little problems. Depending on your needs, allow at least $650 per week for something half decent that's going to be a walk to the stations.

Kooky. Feb 20th 2008 1:15 pm

From looking at the real estate sites again after a break, I think we need to increase our rental budget if we want to live lower North Shore. We've finally got a firm salary offer but seriously doubting it's economically viable for us to move. :(

soapy© Feb 20th 2008 4:06 pm

even though i dont live in sydney anymore, i cant help reading this thread!

Fantastic info guys (everyone):thumbup:

Jacque Feb 20th 2008 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 5962093)
From looking at the real estate sites again after a break, I think we need to increase our rental budget if we want to live lower North Shore. We've finally got a firm salary offer but seriously doubting it's economically viable for us to move. :(

What area are you looking to rent in and what type of property are you after?

Kooky. Feb 20th 2008 9:10 pm

Good question, Jacque. Like a few people on this thread we are tossing up between living close to the office (Artarmon) and travelling for pleasure, or vice versa. We'll only have one car at first.

Also debating a little house, as we have 3 cats, or a low-level apartment with some PES so they/we can get fresh air but hopefully the cats can't go walkabout. (We currently have the best of both worlds - old conservation house with a courtyard, the cats go visiting neighbours along the wall but don't go on the street as the wall is high. That would be ideal.) I like old properties with character, husband likes modern. I usually win. ;)

I realise we may struggle with 3 cats, but they go where we go.

Koalabaer Feb 20th 2008 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jacque (Post 5960733)
My opinion- change schools!!!! Unless you are going to be seriously dedicated to putting your children through a commute of minimum 3hrs per day (and that's driving them there as you can forget public transport!) it's just not feasible at all. Just going across the bridge from Bondi on a good weekday will take you an hr to get to the Northern Beaches... and then you have to trek inland to TH for at least another 1/2 hr. Nightmare!!!

By all means consider living at least on the northern side if this school is so important to you - I'm guessing it's the German International school? At least if you lived somewhere like Pymble/Gordon/Killara close enough to the railway line so that the adults can commute by train to work, the kids can then catch a bus along Mona Vale Rd to school. Much better option, and you will be able to rent something with little problems. Depending on your needs, allow at least $650 per week for something half decent that's going to be a walk to the stations.

Thank you Jacques for your answer and advise. Good guess!! We do need to send the children to the German International School. I know that there is a school bus system but I don't where it goes yet, I need to ask. But, obviously we need to stay somewhere between Terrey Hills and lower north shore. What about Saint Yves? And to drive from St Yves to Bondi junction every day? 1 hour drive or more? Do you have a rough idea how long it will take me to drive the children from Balgowlah to Terrey Hills
Many Thanks

Wigan Warrior Feb 20th 2008 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jacque (Post 5960665)
You should be OK with a townhouse Wigan. For eg:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1203539948

or even this house- good spot, about a 15min walk to station

I've actually seen this battleaxe home and consider it good value for money at the moment in this market. Also one of the area's better streets and close to Normanhurst station

Look around hard enough and you'll find something for sure.

Some good stuff there, thanks very much. Any chance you can do this when are closer to getting there!:thumbsup:

I've only really been looking on proprty.com.au but obviously need to check the realestate.com.au as well.

paddyo Feb 21st 2008 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Koalabaer (Post 5963321)
Thank you Jacques for your answer and advise. Good guess!! We do need to send the children to the German International School. I know that there is a school bus system but I don't where it goes yet, I need to ask. But, obviously we need to stay somewhere between Terrey Hills and lower north shore. What about Saint Yves? And to drive from St Yves to Bondi junction every day? 1 hour drive or more? Do you have a rough idea how long it will take me to drive the children from Balgowlah to Terrey Hills
Many Thanks

Better off getting the train into Sydney and changing onto the Bondi Junction train, would be far easier to commute that way. I assume you mean St Ives by the way?

Sandra Feb 21st 2008 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Koalabaer (Post 5963321)
Many Thanks

Bus routes are via Forest Coaches

http://www.forestcoachlines.com.au/h...chools/41.html

Children need to be at the school for 8.00 am?

Based on these connections St Ives would be reasonable travel for the children, so would Killarney Heights.

St Ives to Bondi Junction would a car trip to the station for 7.12 morning train to get you to Bondi for around 8.30 8.45 latest.

Or you could choose the 7.20 express bus from St Ives to get you to the city at Queen Victoria Building Town hall station for 8.20 and then catch the train on to Bondi Junction. Or there is an earlier bus to get you into the city for 8.00 am

http://www.forestcoachlines.com.au/html/time/frame.html

I travelled to the city for a few years the bus is the easiest because of the lack of parking at station for train etc but the return journey times are limited for this service. I also travelled to Chatwood and know you need to be at the station early for parking. I would suggest that the 7.10 aprox that leave Gordon station is the best one to be on because it starts from there you can get a seat. The trains can be packed in the monring.

I do not know your budget but houses in St Ives are fairly expensive to rent and buy. Killarney Heights is a bit cheaper but I do not know the commute from there but would think it was similar to St Ives maybe as it is not on a train route.

Let me know if you have further questions

Cheers

soapy© Feb 21st 2008 1:58 pm

i was wondering where you were? not like you to miss a sydney thread:D

Sandra Feb 21st 2008 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 5967214)
i was wondering where you were? not like you to miss a sydney thread:D

Been working out of Sydney for five months - Singapore and Philippines and not keeping up to date so much on the boards. Back now I hope apart from minor trips.

Having itchy feet again and hubby will not let me move back to UK so trying to get him motivated to move to Central Coast. I will possibly need to rent in Hornsby for son and myself to commute weekly for college and my work.

Probably looking for advice soon from the lovely people on this site so thought I'd better get my arse in gear and be of some help too. Not sure if my last thread on St Ives being boring as batshit would encourage people here though :):rofl:

Cheers

Koalabaer Feb 21st 2008 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sandra (Post 5966609)
Bus routes are via Forest Coaches

http://www.forestcoachlines.com.au/h...chools/41.html

Children need to be at the school for 8.00 am?

Based on these connections St Ives would be reasonable travel for the children, so would Killarney Heights.

St Ives to Bondi Junction would a car trip to the station for 7.12 morning train to get you to Bondi for around 8.30 8.45 latest.

Or you could choose the 7.20 express bus from St Ives to get you to the city at Queen Victoria Building Town hall station for 8.20 and then catch the train on to Bondi Junction. Or there is an earlier bus to get you into the city for 8.00 am

http://www.forestcoachlines.com.au/html/time/frame.html

I travelled to the city for a few years the bus is the easiest because of the lack of parking at station for train etc but the return journey times are limited for this service. I also travelled to Chatwood and know you need to be at the station early for parking. I would suggest that the 7.10 aprox that leave Gordon station is the best one to be on because it starts from there you can get a seat. The trains can be packed in the monring.

I do not know your budget but houses in St Ives are fairly expensive to rent and buy. Killarney Heights is a bit cheaper but I do not know the commute from there but would think it was similar to St Ives maybe as it is not on a train route.

Let me know if you have further questions

Cheers

I thank you very much Sandra for your answer. Our children don't start school at 8:00 am, I think more like 9:00 am which I find "late". They must go to this school in Terrey Hills; this is the German International School. I can see that is going to be very difficult to make everybody happy, especially my wife with her work in Bondi junction.
My first sought was to try to find a house in Manly, my wife could take the ferry to CBD and I could drive the children to Terrey hills or to the school bus. Do you think it’s a good idea? Is Manly/balgowlah far from Terrey hills?
Many thanks