British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney - Location location location!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-location-location-location-506361/)

saveme Feb 17th 2008 8:39 am

Re: Sydney - Location location location!!

[QUOTE=popeye;5942992]Saveme, well the pub/hotel is now called the sands and at long last the new one which they built next door has opened after sitting there for a year or so.
personally i thought the old was was a bit better because it had a bit more outside area ( im a smoker ,lol ) but then again i usually go to the Harbord hotel mainly ( the hilton ) because i find it a better pub in general.
QUOTE]

Thanks for that information. I always feel really nostalgic about Narrabeen because after my parents bought the house my brothers and I moved back in with mum and dad for the last time. (1981-1983) They used to have bands in the Royal Antler Hotel (as was) in the big 'beach bar' - can't remember the names of any that I saw. I'm sure Midnight Oil played there - must ask my mate Bill who used to live at Mona Vale.

I wish I'd been born and raised there. When I lived in the house on my own in 1986/87 I felt a bit isolated. It's a great spot with the lake and the ocean but I preferred the inner city (Surry Hills) for ease of commuting. What I should do is buy a place at Narrabeen for weekends - how are the real estate prices up there now?

I liked Avalon too - had a 'village' atmosphere (a 'real' one too not the manufactured ones as in 'Balmain village' and 'Erskineville village' - damn those pesky real estate agents aided and abetted by would-be trendies/yuppies/empty nesters.)

Has anyone mentioned 'climbing' Collaroy Plateau? It's Sydney's own Table Mountain - fanstastic views over Narrabeen and the ocean.

Thanks for the info.
Dave
ps and thanks for the constant reference to 'The Bends' - forced me to play it!

DrWho Feb 17th 2008 9:30 am

Originally Posted by sprite_green (Post 5944074)
T...My query was more regarding Rich_Lyn's comment:

The only problem for me is that i believe that there is a bit of a teenage problem in Avalon, kids getting drunk on the street etc. Not sure about crime, but property prices have come down recently.

To be honest I've not seen or heard anything like that about Avalon... but I don't scour the local paper/websites either...

paddyo Feb 17th 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by popeye (Post 5942992)
Saveme, well the pub/hotel is now called the sands and at long last the new one which they built next door has opened after sitting there for a year or so.
personally i thought the old was was a bit better because it had a bit more outside area ( im a smoker ,lol ) but then again i usually go to the Harbord hotel mainly ( the hilton ) because i find it a better pub in general.

Paddyo, anywhere before the bends is ok for transport ( ie after newport really ) put it this way you have deewhy which im not really a big fan of mainly because its unit city and then 5 minutes in a car on from that is colloroy which is nice and personally i could move there if i was in one of the places along pittwater rd. and then 2 minutes away from colloroy is narrabeen ( its that close together ) which we much prefer and you really get that beach feeling there if like us you choose either ocean st or lagoon st. its a 2 to 5 minute walk to narrabeen main to get the bus into the city.
narrabeen has a few more shops than colloroy and has a woolies there but not as many shops as deewhy.
if you need anymore help or if you fancy meeting up when you come over just message us and we will be happy to help.will give you my mobile number
and as for too many pommies over here, personally i dont see/hear too many about around here unlike manly which has quite a few. but then again we went to perth the weekend before last to watch ub40 and it was full of poms/irish/northerners and to be honest i wasn't that impressed with it.

Popeye, appreciate that mate. Although have to confess my ignorance as to where 'the bends' are! By my naive perception, anywhere within walking distance to the Pittwater Rd appears ok for transport links and my wife really does want a beachside (ish!) place and we want either a really good 2 bed or, ideally, a 3 bed for when my daughters and friends come over. We are looking at a max rental of $650 per week which, by my searches, SEEMS to be able to get us a decent place, at the moment at least!
As long as its got a couple of convenience shops and a cafe/bar or 2/3/4 then we will be a happy.
I don't mind pommies but just don't want to rely on a small expat community, want to try and integrate as much as we can, especially for my wife who will be looking for work.

sprite_green Feb 17th 2008 11:23 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 5944725)
Popeye, appreciate that mate. Although have to confess my ignorance as to where 'the bends' are!

"The Bends" is the stretch of Barrenjoey Road between Newport and Avalon. They basically add about 10minutes to any journey.

CarlaA Feb 17th 2008 11:58 am

Originally Posted by sprite_green (Post 5944074)
Thanks DW.
My query was more regarding Rich_Lyn's comment:

The only problem for me is that i believe that there is a bit of a teenage problem in Avalon, kids getting drunk on the street etc. Not sure about crime, but property prices have come down recently.

We're looking at all the suburbs on pages 179, 180, 199, 200 of the Sydways :p - i.e. Newport, MV, Bayview, Warriewood, Narrabeen, Collaroy - but the family were pretty sold on Avalon when we were over last year. But now a little concerned at the comments re. yoofs. Would like to understand if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

I live in Avalon and have no direct experience of this. But there is petty vandalism/graffiti and I see the odd story in the local paper (maybe about once a year?) about police needing to reign in kids who've been drinking - the last one I remember was after an annual Avalon Fete Day. (Followed by strong letters to the paper complaining that they had exagerated the story if I remember correctly!) I may have missed something over the summer though.

Also, there are sometimes reports of turf wars between Avalon surfers, Narrabeen surfers, etc, etc, but I have no idea what the real substance behind these is.

The local paper, the Manly Daily, has a daily report of crimes across their whole area. The few that are in Avalon almost always seem to be drunk driving.

Under age/on the beach/in the park drinking is something of a problem all along the beaches I think. There's a local worry about there being no police station in Avalon.

For myself, I feel safe being out and about on weekend evenings and I believe the crime rate is low. It's a low-key sort of place. Lots of people greet each other when they're out and about and look out for each other's kids. ABC film crews come and film on the beach and seem to be able to get on with their jobs without attracting unwanted attention...

Not sure what else to say... but been here 2 years with kids and yoofs don't feature at all on my list of worries. Maybe when my own kids get to be 16 or so I may have a different insight.

paddyo Feb 17th 2008 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by CarlaA (Post 5944881)
I live in Avalon and have no direct experience of this. But there is petty vandalism/graffiti and I see the odd story in the local paper (maybe about once a year?) about police needing to reign in kids who've been drinking - the last one I remember was after an annual Avalon Fete Day. (Followed by strong letters to the paper complaining that they had exagerated the story if I remember correctly!) I may have missed something over the summer though.

Also, there are sometimes reports of turf wars between Avalon surfers, Narrabeen surfers, etc, etc, but I have no idea what the real substance behind these is.

The local paper, the Manly Daily, has a daily report of crimes across their whole area. The few that are in Avalon almost always seem to be drunk driving.

Under age/on the beach/in the park drinking is something of a problem all along the beaches I think. There's a local worry about there being no police station in Avalon.

For myself, I feel safe being out and about on weekend evenings and I believe the crime rate is low. It's a low-key sort of place. Lots of people greet each other when they're out and about and look out for each other's kids. ABC film crews come and film on the beach and seem to be able to get on with their jobs without attracting unwanted attention...

Not sure what else to say... but been here 2 years with kids and yoofs don't feature at all on my list of worries. Maybe when my own kids get to be 16 or so I may have a different insight.

ABC film crews??? What for?

soapy© Feb 17th 2008 1:40 pm

fantastic post on an area that people are looking at:)

sprite_green Feb 17th 2008 3:20 pm

I live in Avalon and have no direct experience of this. ...

Thanks CarlaA - very helpful.

Not sure about the ABC crews reference - unless it's re. Home and Away, but I thought that was filmed on Palm Beach.

CarlaA Feb 17th 2008 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by sprite_green (Post 5945317)
Thanks CarlaA - very helpful.

Not sure about the ABC crews reference - unless it's re. Home and Away, but I thought that was filmed on Palm Beach.

My kids tell me it's "Blue Water High"
http://www.abc.net.au/rollercoaster/bluewaterhigh/
I think they use various beaches round here.

Wigan Warrior Feb 19th 2008 6:48 pm

Does anyone have any experience of Hornsby?

Paid a visit whilst over there, but interested to hear what peoples opinions are of the place.

Does anyone know how easy is it to get to the beaches from there and what the schools are like.

We will be renting initially (hopefully around $500 per week), but would like to rent were we can afford to buy (something around $600k -3 bed). Don't mind being out of city as long as the area has things to offer and don't have to travel too far out for shops/resteraunts/pubs and would like some where with good schools and not too far from beach.

paddyo Feb 19th 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior (Post 5955430)
Does anyone have any experience of Hornsby?

Paid a visit whilst over there, but interested to hear what peoples opinions are of the place.

Does anyone know how easy is it to get to the beaches from there and what the schools are like.

We will be renting initially (hopefully around $500 per week), but would like to rent were we can afford to buy (something around $600k -3 bed). Don't mind being out of city as long as the area has things to offer and don't have to travel too far out for shops/resteraunts/pubs and would like some where with good schools and not too far from beach.

Geezer, how was your visit? What was your impressions of some of the areas?

Jacque Feb 19th 2008 9:00 pm

Hi Wigan

Hornsby shire has a lot to offer, including a very well equipped and recently refurbished massive shopping centre, access to rail and lots of leafy green parklands and sporting fields. Nearby suburbs of Wahroonga, Normanhurst (home to the very exclusive private girls school Loreto) and Warrawee and Turramurra have some of Sydney's most amazing homes on big blocks and the area exudes charm. It's a great family area and isn't too far from the beaches, with access to Mona Vale Rd being the best bet to hit the beaches of Mona Vale and Warriewood (approx 30-40 min drive)
Expensive private schools are a huge drawcard to this area, and well known schools include Knox Grammar, Abbotsleigh, St Leo's and Barker College, amongst others. Public schools also have good reputations, from what I've heard, so plenty to choose from both in primary and high schools.
The north shore and northern districts rail lines intersect at Hornsby thus making one side significantly more expensive in housing than the other.

As far as rentals go, I can give you a recent insight into the current market, as I've been looking for an investor client in the area of Hornsby/Thornleigh/Normanhurst. Most homes in this clients price bracket (mid $600K's), if tenanted, were fetching anywhere between $350-500 per week. Variances abound, naturally, depending on location, but this is the bottom end of the housing market in this area. You'd get more for your rental dollar in a townhouse or unit and there's loads of newer stock especially around Hornsby and Waitara stations.

$600K is not going to buy you much of a house in this area, though you will pick up older stock in Thornleigh and Hornsby (timber, fibro or red brick min age 25yrs) however if you're prepared to look further afield and want something nicer have a look at Asquith and Mt Colah. Both still have rail but are getting that further distance away again. If you like national parks, Hornsby shire is the right place for you as well- right next to the beautiful Ku-ring-gai Chase the area has a really Australian bush feel about it.

Personally, I believe Thornleigh and Normanhurst are best value for money at the moment for freestanding housing, and you can pick up something older that needs work in the $600K's. Cross the railway line over to the other side, however, and you're looking at housing prices approx $250-300K dearer in suburbs like neighbouring Wahroonga and Warrawee. Amazing how different suburbs can command higher prices due to their name. But that's so Sydney :)

Best of luck with your search and keep us posted!

Wigan Warrior Feb 20th 2008 9:21 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 5956092)
Geezer, how was your visit? What was your impressions of some of the areas?

Hornsby looked pretty good, the area seemed to tick all our boxes and the shopping centre put a smile on the wife's face!:D

Looks like we are going to find it tough to get something in our price range in Sydney as $600k doesn't get you a whole lot. Friends out there suggested a unit as there is only my wife and our daughter, but the wife isn't too thrilled with that idea.

I have freinds that live in Balmain and Chatswood which are both really nice areas, but way out of my league!

My work is likely to be CBD or North Sydney (Ryde/Macquire Park) so was looking that side of the city.

There are always the areas around Botany Bay that seem a bit cheaper (i.e. Brighton-le-sands round to Cronulla) but presumably there would be a lot of noise from the airport and could take 1hr+ to work. Anyone any experience of these?

I didn't get a chance to go and visit any of the areas in South Sydney.

If any one knows of any areas were I can rent fro $500 pw and buy a 3 bedder for $600k with decent schools/shopping/pubs and not a million miles away from CBD (<=1hr on train)/beaches then feel free to let me know!;)

BTW - Townhouse will do!

Koalabaer Feb 20th 2008 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 5794318)
There is very little of Sydney that is NOT multi-cultural. This is the last city in the world to come to if you want to live in an anglo-saxon enclave.

That said, in most areas everyone lives very happily alongside one another, regardless of their origins. There are however a few exceptions - the area around Bankstown/Lakemba being one. This was once a normal working class area but is becoming more and more like a middle-eastern ghetto. There are racial tensions and many problems associated with organised crime.

Not all 'multi-cultural' areas are nice places to live in.

Hi all, sorry to hijack this thread but I will be soon concerned. We also are coming to Sydney some time in August. I'm already having a look around, domain.com.au or realestate.com.au and for locations as a bird view, Google earth! What a beautiful city!! I can't wait to see by myself.
As Paddyo, we will stay in an apartment for the beginning and then we will discover the city and find the right place for us. We will have time; our move from Germany will take at least six weeks.
The question is: where should we try to find a house for 5, 2 adults + 3 monsters, if my wife will have to work close to Bondi junction, myself in the CBD, and the school for the children is located in Terrey Hills?
It looks like we are going to commute a lot...
I have done a little research and I think North Shore, Balgowlah, Manly could be an option, especially if we can take the ferry from Manly directly to Circular Quay and then the Bus.
Concerning the rental market, it looks like the location makes the price! And what a price! Per week! Just amazing. I have travelling around the world a bit, and honestly I did not know that Sydney was an expansive City for rentals...
I'm getting a wrong impression here?
Many thanks.

asher Feb 20th 2008 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Koalabaer (Post 5959224)
Hi all, sorry to hijack this thread but I will be soon concerned. We also are coming to Sydney some time in August. I'm already having a look around, domain.com.au or realestate.com.au and for locations as a bird view, Google earth! What a beautiful city!! I can't wait to see by myself.
As Paddyo, we will stay in an apartment for the beginning and then we will discover the city and find the right place for us. We will have time; our move from Germany will take at least six weeks.
The question is: where should we try to find a house for 5, 2 adults + 3 monsters, if my wife will have to work close to Bondi junction, myself in the CBD, and the school for the children is located in Terrey Hills?
It looks like we are going to commute a lot...
I have done a little research and I think North Shore, Balgowlah, Manly could be an option, especially if we can take the ferry from Manly directly to Circular Quay and then the Bus.
Concerning the rental market, it looks like the location makes the price! And what a price! Per week! Just amazing. I have travelling around the world a bit, and honestly I did not know that Sydney was an expansive City for rentals...
I'm getting a wrong impression here?
Many thanks.

sorry mate your impression is right! not a cheap place to live but it is magnificent :thumbsup: