British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney - Location location location!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-location-location-location-506361/)

paddyo Feb 7th 2008 9:31 am

Re: Sydney - Location location location!!

Originally Posted by Rich_Lyn (Post 5897994)
hi, mind if i join in? I would ask people moving to Sydney, when you arrive, find a nice spot where you can relax and talk with the OH, and when discussing where you want to live, think about why you left the mother country. For us, it was to be near the beach (and all that lifestyle has to offer, inc boating / fishing), as well as less crime and a better future for our son (15). I tend to agree with most of the quotes on this thread, in terms of location / proximity to CBD, affordability etc. I know people who live on the Eastern beaches, North Shore, Northern Beaches, Castle Hill - no one says they do not like where they live. A lot of my colleagues live nr Collaroy / DY /Avalon + it is a great beach lifestyle with "OK" commute to CBD.
Think about the schools for the kids, and proximity to rail / bus links. Our son is able to get almost anywhere from St Ives, but it does require a few changes (EG going to Manly). We are hoping to move to the Northern Beaches, and like Mona Vale / Bayview. Avalon is a "few bends too far" for me, especially on the weekend, but it has a great "villagey" lifestyle feel. The only problem for me is that i believe that there is a bit of a teenage problem in Avalon, kids getting drunk on the street etc. Not sure about crime, but property prices have come down recently.
Happy Hunting!
:thumbsup:

I think if we just sit on the beach and look around us then no discussion will be required!! Job done!!

popeye Feb 15th 2008 7:11 pm

Hey Paddyo

We live in Narrabeen and love it here, we have a 3 bed unit, but we pay $700 a week for it, you can get them for cheaper but theres not many 3 bedders abouts, plus ours is a new block.
Colloroy is nice and defo has more 3 bed units but still not many really. We did think about moving there but decided we prefer narrabeen, we live on lagoon st which is right in between the lake and the sea and prefer it to ocean street as its a little bit more quiet compared to ocean st which gets its fair share of traffic cutting though up to mona vale .
We are in the process of moving in a few weeks and was thinking of moving to warriewood into a house on an estate where my brother lives, even though its like a 2 minute drive to his it would have been nice to just walk round the corner to him plus we have a couple of friends there aswell, but we have decided to stay in the same block ( we now rent direct off the builder and we get on well with him and saves having to deal with the real estate agents over here ) but moving into his own personal unit which is above ours . ( someone has bought our one, lol )
Main reasons we have decided to stay in this excact location is the beach lifesytle , its just a different way of life living here , all be it i dont even go on the beach lol.

paddyo Feb 16th 2008 12:21 am

Originally Posted by popeye (Post 5938302)
Hey Paddyo

We live in Narrabeen and love it here, we have a 3 bed unit, but we pay $700 a week for it, you can get them for cheaper but theres not many 3 bedders abouts, plus ours is a new block.
Colloroy is nice and defo has more 3 bed units but still not many really. We did think about moving there but decided we prefer narrabeen, we live on lagoon st which is right in between the lake and the sea and prefer it to ocean street as its a little bit more quiet compared to ocean st which gets its fair share of traffic cutting though up to mona vale .
We are in the process of moving in a few weeks and was thinking of moving to warriewood into a house on an estate where my brother lives, even though its like a 2 minute drive to his it would have been nice to just walk round the corner to him plus we have a couple of friends there aswell, but we have decided to stay in the same block ( we now rent direct off the builder and we get on well with him and saves having to deal with the real estate agents over here ) but moving into his own personal unit which is above ours . ( someone has bought our one, lol )
Main reasons we have decided to stay in this excact location is the beach lifesytle , its just a different way of life living here , all be it i dont even go on the beach lol.

Cheers Popeye, I have also been looking at Narrabeen and its little cross between Island and lagoon seems cool. I want to live somewhere where I can use all the public transport to commute to Sydney CBD, whats that like in Narrabeen?

soapy© Feb 16th 2008 3:32 am

to all you new posters on here, welcome.
just want to pass on a little advice;)

when we were moving to sydney almost 4 years ago we did a post just like this,
one thing stuck out after we got here.

all the info NickyC gave to us was spot on!
it would serve you all well to take on board her advice:sneaky:

Oh and i'll take this chance just to say to Nicky, thanks from pauline and myself for all the help you passed to us when we needed it.:) you are a Gem:wub:

@boy Feb 16th 2008 3:53 am

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 5939767)

Calling on NickyC to vet this article from yesterdays SMH and see if there is any truth to it at all or if it is just complete scaremongering hype...
Good info either way for those moving to Sydney from someone in the know there.

It's a full house as rentals disappear
Jano Gibson Urban Affairs Reporter
February 16, 2008

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/...id=theage:top5

soapy© Feb 16th 2008 4:22 am

Originally Posted by @boy (Post 5939802)
Calling on NickyC to vet this article from yesterdays SMH and see if there is any truth to it at all or if it is just complete scaremongering hype...
Good info either way for those moving to Sydney from someone in the know there.

It's a full house as rentals disappear
Jano Gibson Urban Affairs Reporter
February 16, 2008

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/...id=theage:top5

its nearly as bad as that here!

our rent went up by $40 last year. thats why we bought. we could see the righting on the wall;)
we could see it was heading that way in sydney 2 years ago, thats one of the reasons we left.

paddyo Feb 16th 2008 6:49 am

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 5939767)
to all you new posters on here, welcome.
just want to pass on a little advice;)

Oh and i'll take this chance just to say to Nicky, thanks from pauline and myself for all the help you passed to us when we needed it.:) you are a Gem:wub:

I have already acknowledged Nicky C is a font of knowledge but I welcome responses and opinions from all.

sprite_green Feb 16th 2008 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Rich_Lyn (Post 5897994)
Avalon is a "few bends too far" for me, especially on the weekend, but it has a great "villagey" lifestyle feel. The only problem for me is that i believe that there is a bit of a teenage problem in Avalon, kids getting drunk on the street etc. Not sure about crime, but property prices have come down recently.
Happy Hunting!
:thumbsup:

Morning all - really useful thread.

Anyone care to comment on Rich_Lyn's comment re Avalon?

We are looking at Avalon, Newport, Bayview, etc. We'll be staying up that way for the first few weeks and will make our own opinions, but would appreciate any pointers before we get out there.

We spent a little bit of time up there last year and didn't really see much to be concerned about.

saveme Feb 16th 2008 10:58 am

Originally Posted by popeye (Post 5938302)
Hey Paddyo

You made me very nostalgic as I used to live in a town house on Pittwater Road opposite the pub - 'Rosella Gardens' I think, superb location between beach and lake. It overlooked Pittwater Road so was a bit noisy. One of homes overlooking the lake would have been Heaven. I learnt to sailboard there.

Could you confirm for me what has happened to the pub? Has it been demolished and replaced by a new building?? Last time I was in 2006 I'm sure there were new buildings going up? I remember back in 1982? when Random Breath Testing was first introduced the carpark was EMPTY instead of looking like a car yard on Parra Road!

DrWho Feb 16th 2008 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by sprite_green (Post 5940331)
Morning all - really useful thread.

Anyone care to comment on Rich_Lyn's comment re Avalon?

We are looking at Avalon, Newport, Bayview, etc. We'll be staying up that way for the first few weeks and will make our own opinions, but would appreciate any pointers before we get out there.

We spent a little bit of time up there last year and didn't really see much to be concerned about.

I'd agree about Avalon being a few bends too far... We're in Mona Vale and it's just that bit closer to anywhere that you might want to go... Where will you be working...? That'll be the decider I reckon...

paddyo Feb 16th 2008 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by DrWho (Post 5942499)
I'd agree about Avalon being a few bends too far... We're in Mona Vale and it's just that bit closer to anywhere that you might want to go... Where will you be working...? That'll be the decider I reckon...

Working in the CBD so its public transport which will be the killer!"

DrWho Feb 16th 2008 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 5942587)
Working in the CBD so its public transport which will be the killer!"

Yup, travelling in from Avalon every day would be painful in the extreme... :eek:

paddyo Feb 16th 2008 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by DrWho (Post 5942647)
Yup, travelling in from Avalon every day would be painful in the extreme... :eek:

Well Avalon I have already discounted as too far, I am looking at Collaroy/Dee Why as my options.

popeye Feb 16th 2008 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 5942697)
Well Avalon I have already discounted as too far, I am looking at Collaroy/Dee Why as my options.

Saveme, well the pub/hotel is now called the sands and at long last the new one which they built next door has opened after sitting there for a year or so.
personally i thought the old was was a bit better because it had a bit more outside area ( im a smoker ,lol ) but then again i usually go to the Harbord hotel mainly ( the hilton ) because i find it a better pub in general.

Paddyo, anywhere before the bends is ok for transport ( ie after newport really ) put it this way you have deewhy which im not really a big fan of mainly because its unit city and then 5 minutes in a car on from that is colloroy which is nice and personally i could move there if i was in one of the places along pittwater rd. and then 2 minutes away from colloroy is narrabeen ( its that close together ) which we much prefer and you really get that beach feeling there if like us you choose either ocean st or lagoon st. its a 2 to 5 minute walk to narrabeen main to get the bus into the city.
narrabeen has a few more shops than colloroy and has a woolies there but not as many shops as deewhy.
if you need anymore help or if you fancy meeting up when you come over just message us and we will be happy to help.will give you my mobile number
and as for too many pommies over here, personally i dont see/hear too many about around here unlike manly which has quite a few. but then again we went to perth the weekend before last to watch ub40 and it was full of poms/irish/northerners and to be honest i wasn't that impressed with it.

sprite_green Feb 17th 2008 7:43 am

Originally Posted by DrWho (Post 5942499)

Thanks DW. I reckon I could (probably) cope with the commute - I have a 80 to 90 minute commute at the moment, but obviously would prefer not to! Likely to be in the CBD for work.

My query was more regarding Rich_Lyn's comment:

The only problem for me is that i believe that there is a bit of a teenage problem in Avalon, kids getting drunk on the street etc. Not sure about crime, but property prices have come down recently.

We're looking at all the suburbs on pages 179, 180, 199, 200 of the Sydways :p - i.e. Newport, MV, Bayview, Warriewood, Narrabeen, Collaroy - but the family were pretty sold on Avalon when we were over last year. But now a little concerned at the comments re. yoofs. Would like to understand if anyone else has experienced the same issue.