Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney living cost estimates

Sydney living cost estimates

Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:37 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Sydney living cost estimates

Originally Posted by freebo
So can I, but even for one earning well above the Aus average wage (in AUD) Sydney is not an attractive place to settle from a financial viewpoint, maybe I'll move to Redland Bay (lovely spot I know, used to go camping on N Straddie regularly ).
The weather here is lousy at the moment though....

In general, when we moved from Sydney to the Redlands, we found general living costs to be very similar, but the houses were cheaper.
The houses cost comparison has of course now changed round, with our QLD house having risen much more than the Sydney one, in % terms and $ terms, since 2003.

Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Why 2003? That wouldn't happen to be roughly a ten year low for the AUD versus the GBP by any chance? Convenient example.
2003 was the year that we moved to QLD from Sydney, and the year we bought our house here, and the year I moved funds from UK to Australia, so a nice convenient year as an example.

It ALSO highlights the difference between the then high and the now low rates which is what, after all, I was doing.

Do you feel that we should not use extreme examples to highlight the extreme changes ?

Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Fair enough, the average might be more of a useful comparison to the extremes though.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The weather here is lousy at the moment though....
Its fairly crap in Sydney too my poor Mrs wonders why we came to Aus when it rains so much.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:14 am
ABCDiamond

Fair enough, the average might be more of a useful comparison to the extremes though.
But if we used an average, it would defeat the purpose of showing the extreme change...

However...

Using each years average FX rate, the value of £32,000 would have been:
$84,316.50 2000
$89,968.21 2001
$88,446.92 2002
$80,408.26 2003
$79,729.47 2004
$76,214.82 2005
$78,258.04 2006
$76,222.73 2007
$69,564.19 2008
$63,425.77 2009
$51,200.00 Dec 2010

However the extremes have gone from:
Oct-1976 at 1.282 (£32,000 = A$41,024)
to
Sep-2001 at 2.990 (£32,000 = A$95,680)

Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

But if we used an average, it would defeat the purpose of showing the extreme change...
Thanks for clarifying the purpose of your post, it wasn't obvious.

Last edited by Steve2009; Dec 4th 2010 at 9:20 am.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:25 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Just wanted to add that I agree with all of the above. I'm lucky to be on a good wage but our rent alone ($800 pw) is equivalent to a $70,000 salary. We're living nicely and putting money into savings but on anything like an average wage I would not want to try to live in Sydney.
Well I live in Sydney to be nearer to my job on a not very good wage and believe me it is no fun..........
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:40 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

With the way the UK £ has crashed against the A$, your income will have been affected very badly in Australia.

For example; £32,000 at 2003 FX rates would be about A$90,000, but is now only about $51,000, so a massive drop in your spending power.

I can understand anyone that is earning British Pounds needing to leave here now.
yes, it has sucked big time!

when we went to the uk first off the pound was 3:1, and that hurt, and now, we have the other end of the stick in the other direction with 1.6 : 1....
can't seem to win!

yes, if you take housing out of the equation, then sydney is no more expensive than any other in aus,however, for alot of people who are either young and have no previous equity to buy a house, or who have to rent for whatever reason, housing costs are the primary expense, so they are certainly relevant in our world!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chocciecake
yes, if you take housing out of the equation, then sydney is no more expensive than any other in aus,however, for alot of people who are either young and have no previous equity to buy a house, or who have to rent for whatever reason, housing costs are the primary expense, so they are certainly relevant in our world!
For many people in the suburbs where most people want to live, renting is cheaper than buying even if you buy outright with cash. UBank would give you a better return on your cash than what you would spend on rent. Nothing wrong with renting.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:33 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for clarifying the purpose of your post, it wasn't obvious.
I'll have to try harder to explain in clearer English I suppose...

Any chance you could convert this into something that explains it better.. My English never was very good at school.
With the way the UK £ has crashed against the A$, your income will have been affected very badly in Australia.

For example; £32,000 at 2003 FX rates would be about A$90,000, but is now only about $51,000, so a massive drop in your spending power.

Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by chocciecake
yes, it has sucked big time!

when we went to the uk first off the pound was 3:1, and that hurt, and now, we have the other end of the stick in the other direction with 1.6 : 1....
can't seem to win!

An interesting figure from RP Data...

Only 6 per cent of house sales within the average first home buyer purchasing range were within 10km of the CBD.
However 38 per cent of opportunities within the apartment and townhome sector were within 10km of the capital city CBD’s.
Average House Prices in Inner Sydney are $1.1 million, but average Units and Townhouses are $540,000

However, although Average House Prices drop to $425,000 in outer Sydney, the Units and Townhouses only drop to $325,000.

With the average First Home buyers mortgage being $292,734 in NSW, I would guess that many of them are actually buying Units or Townhouses in Outer Sydney. Their average mortgage being 90% of the Units or Townhouse average price.