Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney East suburbs??

Sydney East suburbs??

Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:36 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney East suburbs??

One of the chefs here is possibly being transfered to sydney by the company - his wife (French) is freaking out about the cost of living there and I said I'd ask you lot - the fount of knowledge!!

they need to be close to the Rose Bay area, have a child of 5 so need a nice school, want a 3 bed house, with garden.

I have NO idea wheres close to Rose Bay (never heard of it) but you guys might do! If their salary is looking at $150,000 combined (shes a work from home accountant) could they afford that kind of property to rent, and which is the best area for them??

thanks guys.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney East suburbs??

Originally Posted by islandmom
One of the chefs here is possibly being transfered to sydney by the company - his wife (French) is freaking out about the cost of living there and I said I'd ask you lot - the fount of knowledge!!

they need to be close to the Rose Bay area, have a child of 5 so need a nice school, want a 3 bed house, with garden.

I have NO idea wheres close to Rose Bay (never heard of it) but you guys might do! If their salary is looking at $150,000 combined (shes a work from home accountant) could they afford that kind of property to rent, and which is the best area for them??

thanks guys.

Aaah.. Rose Bay.

Gorgeous area, right on the harbour, near to the city, lovely houses, fantastic shopping nearby. Just hellishly expensive to buy into.

Close suburbs are just as costly - Vaucluse, Double Bay, Watsons Bay, Dover Heights etc. Cheapest area in that vicinity would be Bondi or Bondi Junction.

The state primary school at Double Bay is supposed to be good. Don't know about a state school in Rose Bay - I guess there is one. Really that whole area is private school territory - there's loads of them, all top-notch.

Cheapest house to rent in Rose Bay at the moment seems to be $750 a week but they go up to $2000 (!). Even an income of $150k would suffer if you had to pay that for very long.

Last edited by NickyC; Aug 17th 2006 at 1:55 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Aaah.. Rose Bay.

Gorgeous area, right on the harbour, near to the city, lovely houses, fantastic shopping nearby. Just hellishly expensive to buy into.

Close suburbs are just as costly - Vaucluse, Double Bay, Watsons Bay, Dover Heights etc. Cheapest area in that vicinity would be Bondi or Bondi Junction.

The state primary school at Double Bay is supposed to be good. Don't know about a state school in Rose Bay - I guess there is one. Really that whole area is private school territory - there's loads of them, all top-notch.

Cheapest house to rent in Rose Bay at the moment seems to be $750 a week but they go up to $2000 (!). Even an income of $150k would suffer if you had to pay that for very long.
I'll second that - Rose Bay is gorgeous!

As it's so central they could also consider areas on the other side of the harbour that aren't too far out, such as Balmain (that's where I want to live )
Old Aug 18th 2006, 6:15 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Travelling from Balmain to Rose Bay would be hellish by public transport - either ferry to circular quay and then another ferry or bus, or bus into town and then another bus. Much easier to stay in the Eastern Suburbs. Unless of course parking is provided at his place of work.

Look at www.domain.com.au to give them an idea of what you can rent in the area (type in Rose Bay and click the surrounding suburbs option). As long as they don't plan to move into a huge mansion with pool and sea views, they'll be fine on their combined income.

Edgecliffe, Woollahra, Waverley, Paddington, Bellvue Hill, bits of Randwick, all the beach suburbs etc are all lovely areas.

They could go east as far as the sea, west I'd stop before Redfern, Waterloo, Central, Surry Hills - not that they're bad areas but the housing stock starts to become more cramped and it caters more for students and people without kids (eg the houses are often two storey terraces with the bathrooms on the ground floor - not great if you have kids)

Their best best is to stay in holiday / serviced accommodation or a hotel when they first arrive, look round, get a feel for the place and then worry about where to live. They won't be able to sort out a rental while they're still overseas anyway (real estate agents won't even bother to reply to their emails until they arrive - there are so many people looking for rentals in Sydney who can move in immediately)