Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anything go missing from packing to unpacking?

Anything go missing from packing to unpacking?

Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anything go missing from packing to unpacking?

Has anyone had anything go missing that they asked to be shipped, wasn't left unpacked but then didn't seem to appear in Oz.

I've had loads - but only little things like.....

1) cheap kitchen scales
2) lots of little stationery items such as stapler.
3) DVD/CD writer pens
4) kitchen timer
5) Childs splash mats

It's only really little things and can't be bothered to try and claim or anything - and how can I prove anything anyway - but a bit narked as it would appear either been swiped by UK packers or by Oz unpackers. I can't believe it was UK packers as they seemed really lovely but obviously as only had 1/2 day with the Oz unpackers as opposed to 2 days with the UK packers I don't really know whether to say anything over here.

There is a chance the stationery items were so small and at a bottom of a box that when the oz guys unpacked these they didn't realise there was more stuff at the bottom of the boxes with all teh wrapping paper they use but I unpacked all the kitchen stuff so where is it!!!!!

Anyone else found this?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anything go missing from packing to unpacking?

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
Has anyone had anything go missing that they asked to be shipped, wasn't left unpacked but then didn't seem to appear in Oz.

1) cheap kitchen scales
3) DVD/CD writer pens
4) kitchen timer
5) Childs splash mats

It's only really little things and can't be bothered to try and claim or anything - and how can I prove anything anyway - but a bit narked as it would appear either been swiped by UK packers or by Oz unpackers. I can't believe it was UK packers as they seemed really lovely but obviously as only had 1/2 day with the Oz unpackers as opposed to 2 days with the UK packers I don't really know whether to say anything over here.

There is a chance the stationery items were so small and at a bottom of a box that when the oz guys unpacked these they didn't realise there was more stuff at the bottom of the boxes with all teh wrapping paper they use but I unpacked all the kitchen stuff so where is it!!!!!

Anyone else found this?

We lost quite a few things, some towels and bed linen, measuring jugs, saucepans, flasks and some kitchen utensils, nothing that we would have bothered claiming on but annoying still.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:57 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
We lost quite a few things, some towels and bed linen, measuring jugs, saucepans, flasks and some kitchen utensils, nothing that we would have bothered claiming on but annoying still.
They lost your marbles as well, oh I forgot you never had them
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Was the stuff in boxes checked by AQIS - they had unpacked two of my boxes and repacked them really badly, stuff pushed in anyhow - just possible they may have unpcaked them and not repacked them!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:18 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Was the stuff in boxes checked by AQIS - they had unpacked two of my boxes and repacked them really badly, stuff pushed in anyhow - just possible they may have unpcaked them and not repacked them!
Or possible that they pulled all your stuff apart and and took the piss as they did when i worked with them.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:41 am

gedge has disabled reputation

1) cheap kitchen scales
3) DVD/CD writer pens
4) kitchen timer
5) Childs splash mats

Anyone else found this?
None of those items sound like they are worth stealing though.
Could you honestly see someone risking their job for some stationery?
It's much more likely that they were lost amongst the packing/unpacking imo.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gedge
None of those items sound like they are worth stealing though.
Could you honestly see someone risking their job for some stationery?
It's much more likely that they were lost amongst the packing/unpacking imo.
That's what I reckon as well - but just really frustrating as it's the little things I use most days!!!!!

Must admit I hadn't thought about the Aqis thing although I have no idea which boxes they were put in so don't know if they were in boxes that they went through.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:55 am

That's what I reckon as well - but just really frustrating as it's the little things I use most days!!!!!

Must admit I hadn't thought about the Aqis thing although I have no idea which boxes they were put in so don't know if they were in boxes that they went through.
I watched them go through loads of peoples stuff and looking through photos and taking the piss, swinging golf clubs etc.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fraser
I watched them go through loads of peoples stuff and looking through photos and taking the piss, swinging golf clubs etc.
Thats' not even funny!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:58 am

Thats' not even funny!!!!!!!!!!
I know, I didn't think it was.

I also saw them spray a bike with two squirts of insecticide which they then charged them for although if they'd cleaned it properly it wouldn't have happened so their own fault.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 7:04 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we had cd's dvd's and a set of binoculars go missing....the list of things gets longer every month...u go to find a cd and its not there
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:30 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

I am really worried about the shipping of our stuff. We have John Mason coming in two weeks time and I am having sleepless nights about it already. We don't have loads of stuff but what we do have I want to have in Australia. Really pi**es me off that people can do this. How dare they go through people's possessions taking the mick or even worse stealing things. I have not no confidence in the whole process.

There are certain things I am more worried about (like photographs and wedding albums) then big things like the sofa. We have also got two really expensive bikes and I live in fear of them going missing or being damaged out of spite.

What can I do to make the whole shipping thing better? They say there will be packers and someone else writing down everything we have but I can't trust them, can I? Should I write a pretty comprehensive list of everything we have before they come? How can I watch what they put in what box?

Any advice guys would be great.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

You can't watch them doing everything and the list they do is "breakables'', "kitchen", "books".

We haven't lost anything that was of importance to us. The only thing you can do is travel if possible with photos that are irreplaceable. Our wedding photographer keeps our photo film for 25 years so I knew they could be replaced if the worst happened.

I was so worried about all our stuff but in the end you just have to trust it.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:39 am
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough

So it seems it would be best to pack your own boxes ? Then list absolutely everything (which I would do anyway) in every box ? I presume it would be okay to collect and unpack yourself the other end ? So many questions, but hopefully someone will be able to answer them...
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:07 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keep smiling
So it seems it would be best to pack your own boxes ? Then list absolutely everything (which I would do anyway) in every box ? I presume it would be okay to collect and unpack yourself the other end ? So many questions, but hopefully someone will be able to answer them...

I wanted to start packing the important stuff for them but was told we are not allowed becasue of insurance. What I have therefore started doing is putting things into piles (boxes and containers that they can take things out of) and I will do a list for each pile. If it can't be used or they wont pack the piles I want them too so be it but in my head I know I have tried.

Good luck

Dreading them packing clothes (especially underwear!! I think the smalls I don't take in suitcase I will throw out!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.