Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney to Brisbane Flight Query?

Sydney to Brisbane Flight Query?

Old Aug 27th 2005, 6:44 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney to Brisbane Flight Query?

Hi,

Not flying till next year but to keep me going until then just thinking and dreaming a lot. Had a thought and wondered if anyone could help. We were hoping to fly into Sydney when we land, spend a few days with friends and then up to settle in Brisbane. My worry if the luggage. We'll have 4 big suitcase and 4 pieces of handluggage (Me hubby and two kids). In the Uk I think domestic travel only allows 20 Kilos. Is this the same in OZ and will we have to pay excess baggage?

Just thinking ahead (before I go mad!!)

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 27th 2005, 7:27 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney to Brisbane Flight Query?

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi,

Not flying till next year but to keep me going until then just thinking and dreaming a lot. Had a thought and wondered if anyone could help. We were hoping to fly into Sydney when we land, spend a few days with friends and then up to settle in Brisbane. My worry if the luggage. We'll have 4 big suitcase and 4 pieces of handluggage (Me hubby and two kids). In the Uk I think domestic travel only allows 20 Kilos. Is this the same in OZ and will we have to pay excess baggage?

Cheers

Ginny
Yes I think you would have problems if you brought a lot on the internation leg due to migrant allowance etc. The excess charge on the domestic flight may be quite horrible. That said, have you thought about driving it instead in a hire car ? Probably be cheaper than flying with that many people. Long drive but maybe an alternative for you
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Yes I think you would have problems if you brought a lot on the internation leg due to migrant allowance etc. The excess charge on the domestic flight may be quite horrible. That said, have you thought about driving it instead in a hire car ? Probably be cheaper than flying with that many people. Long drive but maybe an alternative for you

If you buy the Sydney to Brisbane leg as part of the same ticket, the higher baggage allowance should still apply.

Otherwise - don't assume things, go to the Qantas and Virgin Blue websites and check to see what they say about baggage allowance on a domestic flight.

The option of a hire car is worth thinking about instead. Depending on how many of you there are you may prefer to hire two cars. It's a long drive, but there are lots of nice places along the coast and perhaps take time out to visit these?

Cars do get broken into or stolen in Australia, so make sure you don't leave especially valuable things on view, or all in the one place.

Jeremy
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:49 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you buy the Sydney to Brisbane leg as part of the same ticket, the higher baggage allowance should still apply.

Otherwise - don't assume things, go to the Qantas and Virgin Blue websites and check to see what they say about baggage allowance on a domestic flight.

The option of a hire car is worth thinking about instead. Depending on how many of you there are you may prefer to hire two cars. It's a long drive, but there are lots of nice places along the coast and perhaps take time out to visit these?

Cars do get broken into or stolen in Australia, so make sure you don't leave especially valuable things on view, or all in the one place.

Jeremy
Cheers guys,

My hubby drove Sydney to Brisbane when we validated but there should or rather will be two of us this time. Got two Kids as well so would really need to be a truck. Checked out Virgin Blue one way prices but need to see excess charges.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:57 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly the same thing, but when we went to the US on holidays earlier in the year we had to do a couple of internal flights & were asked where our point of origin was (ie international or domestic) as the US domestic airlines have a much smaller baggage limit than domestic (I think its 10kgs vs 20kgs or something like that). So as Jeremy has said, it might be worth contacting Qantas or VB or whoever you are going to be travelling with direct to ask (our US flights werent booked as part of our international travel, but we had no problems).
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:03 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Not exactly the same thing, but when we went to the US on holidays earlier in the year we had to do a couple of internal flights & were asked where our point of origin was (ie international or domestic) as the US domestic airlines have a much smaller baggage limit than domestic (I think its 10kgs vs 20kgs or something like that). So as Jeremy has said, it might be worth contacting Qantas or VB or whoever you are going to be travelling with direct to ask (our US flights werent booked as part of our international travel, but we had no problems).
Cheers,

It would be probably domestic as we would end up spending a few days with friends before heading up north. Will get checking though.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We travelled across from Perth and flew between Perth and Adelaide. We were a little bit over but we explained to Virgin and they didn't charge us. However we didn't make REAL use of the migrants allowance as we knew we were travelling and couldn't be bothered carting it round with us
Old Aug 28th 2005, 2:11 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

you could alsways use a courier to send any excess up to brisbane or 3 of you fly and hubby drive or some other combination
Old Aug 28th 2005, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers

Ginny
Hi, if you travel with Qantas, they charge excess, but not by the kilo. You are allowed 1 checked in bag per passanger, and each bag over your allowance, you are charged $11.00 per piece. I think Virgin Blue charged
by the kilo.

Hope this assists.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 5:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi, if you travel with Qantas, they charge excess, but not by the kilo. You are allowed 1 checked in bag per passanger, and each bag over your allowance, you are charged $11.00 per piece. I think Virgin Blue charged
by the kilo.

Hope this assists.
Very useful info, and here are the links to confirm the figures:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...eAddCollection
For domestic and international travel a charge may apply for any baggage carried in excess of the free allowance.* Charges may also apply for larger, heavier and additional pieces of checked or carry on baggage.
Australian Flights
Additional Baggage charges for all domestic flights within Australia are A$10 per piece plus GST, if applicable.

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...baggageChecked
Passengers (including children) on Qantas are allowed the following baggage. No single item may exceed 32kg in weight.

Route:
Australian Domestic:
Business: 3 pieces - 32kg (70lbs) per piece
Economy: 1 piece - 32kg (70lbs) per piece

Total dimensions* of each piece must not exceed 140cm (54in)
Infants: Nil

*Total dimensions are measured by adding together the width, height and depth of the bag.

Virgin Blue charges are near the bottom of this page: http://www.virginblue.com.au/helpInf...ge+Information

Old Aug 28th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Hi,

Cheers

Ginny

Hello! Mr L works for VB and says the most you'll get charged is $250!!! x
Old Aug 28th 2005, 8:43 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by logan
Hello! Mr L works for VB and says the most you'll get charged is $250!!! x
Thanks Hevs, We've already validated so probably wouldn't get the Migrants Allowance (on the airlines we would end up going with). Like you got to end up carting it about as well.

Never thought about a courier. Good idea jjonboy. Will look into that.

Sassie thanks for that, trouble is it's one bag that contains 32 Kilos so not sure on that one.

ABCDiamond you are a star. Cheers for the links. Would seem we might be OK but will have a good look at the links.

Mrs L, on behalf of Mr L thanks. That amount wouldn't be too bad. That way we could leave our friends and be settled without having that drive up.

Cheers

Ginny