Sydney/Brisbane

Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sydney/Brisbane

Originally Posted by chels
I think the commuting time from those places and lack of public transport would be issues (having just asked a colleague who grew up in St Ives about the areas) unfortunately
If you can extend your thinking about public transport to include buses, then you shouldn't have a problem at all. Any suburbs on the north shore within walking distance of rail attract a price premium, and often for the money saved on a place a little further away, you can obtain both a nicer place and have change over for that little car.

Just some thoughts anyway. Good luck in your search!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:20 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacque
If you can extend your thinking about public transport to include buses, then you shouldn't have a problem at all. Any suburbs on the north shore within walking distance of rail attract a price premium, and often for the money saved on a place a little further away, you can obtain both a nicer place and have change over for that little car.

Just some thoughts anyway. Good luck in your search!
I commute by bus now, and it's the unreliability of buses (especially at the weekend) that makes trains more attractive. And having got it from the horse's mouth (so to speak) about how long the commute from St Ives is to Sydney CBD - it sometimes took her an hour and a half - it's not very convenient to live that far out of the centre of Sydney, especially if doing client visits in the south etc and having to get back from there. I'm sure those suburbs are excellent for families and if I didn't have to commute to work etc, perfect for me.

The factors I'm more comfortable with compromising on are the size of house, it being freestanding, the pool, backyard size, garage and proximity to green spaces and the beach. Commuting time, public transport facilities and local amenities are my key things, and unfortunately the suburbs in Sydney that fit the bill are either too expensive or a bit 'urban' (grafitti, litter, flight path, higher proportion of units and rentals).

Enough about my search for the perfect house! Sorry for the hijack buzz
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

I commute by bus now, and it's the unreliability of buses (especially at the weekend) that makes trains more attractive. And having got it from the horse's mouth (so to speak) about how long the commute from St Ives is to Sydney CBD - it sometimes took her an hour and a half - it's not very convenient to live that far out of the centre of Sydney, especially if doing client visits in the south etc and having to get back from there. I'm sure those suburbs are excellent for families and if I didn't have to commute to work etc, perfect for me.

The factors I'm more comfortable with compromising on are the size of house, it being freestanding, the pool, backyard size, garage and proximity to green spaces and the beach. Commuting time, public transport facilities and local amenities are my key things, and unfortunately the suburbs in Sydney that fit the bill are either too expensive or a bit 'urban' (grafitti, litter, flight path, higher proportion of units and rentals).

Enough about my search for the perfect house! Sorry for the hijack buzz
Hey, no problem! This is really useful info!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:09 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally? For me a good suburb would be one where I could buy a house:

1. For less than $850k - my house has just been valued at 850ish, six bedrooms, four bathrooms, two kitchens breakfast rooms, large lounge diner, rumpus room with space for pool table and two sofas etc, Two utilities rooms one large one small.
2. With a decent sized back yard - no only a washing line, but the front garden more than makes up for that
3. Freestanding - yes, single brick
4. With a garage - double with electric door, but a squash for two cars, fits motobike and car easily, and mower and loads of crap though
5. Older style - built 1960's but looks like a mess not red brick
6. In a suburb with good infrastructure (ie reliable public transport to various locations in Sydney) - see below, but great infrastructure for schools, amenities but not pubs
7. Within a short drive of beaches - 20 mins MonaVale max
8. Not under a flight path - hear a few planes very very occassionally
9. Close to green space - opposite Kur-ing-gai National Park, and loads of green everywhere including off lead parks
10. Plentiful local amenities (shops, restaurants, GP, dentist etc) within walking distance - St Ives shopping village for most of these and dotted local shopping areas
11. With a 'community vibe' and nice neighbours - Yes depending on how much you join in, we help with daughters scout group
12. Within a reasonable commuting time (30mins) to Sydney CBD but possibly other areas depending on the job see below
13. Not so far away from Sydney CBD that we couldn't afford to regularly get a cab back after a night out - $50 - $60 on a night after midnight, but usually get train from Gordon or taxi $10 from Gordon
14. And a swimming pool or spa at the very least - I mentioned the front garden , large swimming pool with spa, large upper patio area on rock big enough for 8 place table and more, upper decking with room for small table and chairs, lower separate patio with room for hammock, sunloungers etc. Ground space 930 sqm. Native Garden - do not water, large palms, gum trees, crappy grass with bindis (trying to remove).

Not asking for much am I?

Transport, I get a bus to Sydney in the mornings, most days I can leave at 7.30 and get into CBD for 8.45, can be sooner can be later some mornings. The bus is 50 metres from my doorstep, I work on bus or read and relax, on way home I often sleep, home time is 50 mins. There is a 6.30 am bus which can be much quicker. We do not currently have a second car. If we did I would drive to Gordon free parking and get the train in. Transport at weekends is limited to bus to Gordon and then train. Weekend commute is much easier 30 mins max by car but hate paying parking in CBD so most often we get train from Gordon

My house does not look beautiful but is fantastic for visiting rellies and friends in terms of space and entertaining

What I have now - and what it seems I can afford in Sydney - I could just as easily have in London but with a higher salary and a better lifestyle. I'm not giving up on Sydney yet though... although I might not be able to have everything I desire I might find somewhere that ticks enough boxes for me hopefully.
Please ask any questions - I am not a great Sydney Fan just know it is great for work (Functional IT) and I hate the heat and burbs.