Sydney/Brisbane

Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough
Default Sydney/Brisbane

Is there anyone out there who has lived in both Sydney and Brisbane and could post some comments on the two? I've been in Sydney for about 2 months now, and am considering giving Brisbane a go. I've been to Brisbane on holiday, but of course that's not the same as living there.
I'm not working yet, although a couple of things are looking promising, but I have just been offered a temporary job in Brisbane, and really can't make up my mind whether to take it!

In Sydney's favour are: I am starting to get to know it fairly well and am settling in; my brother and his family are here; great places to go at the weekends (including the city - I will never get tired of that view!)
Against are: traffic (!) - not so easy to visit all those great places at the weekend; high rents/house prices; more frenetic life-style compared to Brisbane (is that true or a myth?)

I know there are millions of these types of posts on here, but any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Buzz
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:10 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney/Brisbane

Originally Posted by buzz

In Sydney's favour are: I am starting to get to know it fairly well and am settling in; my brother and his family are here; great places to go at the weekends (including the city - I will never get tired of that view!)
Against are: traffic (!) - not so easy to visit all those great places at the weekend; high rents/house prices; more frenetic life-style compared to Brisbane (is that true or a myth?)
Traffic - Brisbane isn't immune to traffic either unfortunately

What's so hard about visiting Sydney's 'great places' at the weekend? Do you have a car? Access to public transport?

High rents / house prices - move to the western suburbs, prices are much more reasonable there

Frenetic lifestyle - in what way? Do you mean people work harder / play harder in Sydney? Or that the pace of life is quicker ie people rush everywhere, there's no time for manners and common courtesy? I expect you could work and play just as hard in Brisbane, if you wanted to, but my impression is that most people don't, that's not the type of lifestyle they're looking for.

Family issues - do you see them that much? Or could you cope with just seeing them a few times a year (flights aren't that expensive, or you could take a coach if money's tight).

I am debating whether to move up to Brisbane myself, primarily because it would offer us a better lifestyle in terms of affordability and closeness to family. But the reaction of people living in Sydney to this plan has been pretty universal horror, as the general belief is that Brisbane is 'boring' compared to Sydney. The divide between opinions of the two cities is even greater than that of the North/South divide back in England, it feels like to me...
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chels
Traffic - Brisbane isn't immune to traffic either unfortunately

What's so hard about visiting Sydney's 'great places' at the weekend? Do you have a car? Access to public transport?

High rents / house prices - move to the western suburbs, prices are much more reasonable there

Frenetic lifestyle - in what way? Do you mean people work harder / play harder in Sydney? Or that the pace of life is quicker ie people rush everywhere, there's no time for manners and common courtesy? I expect you could work and play just as hard in Brisbane, if you wanted to, but my impression is that most people don't, that's not the type of lifestyle they're looking for.

Family issues - do you see them that much? Or could you cope with just seeing them a few times a year (flights aren't that expensive, or you could take a coach if money's tight).

I am debating whether to move up to Brisbane myself, primarily because it would offer us a better lifestyle in terms of affordability and closeness to family. But the reaction of people living in Sydney to this plan has been pretty universal horror, as the general belief is that Brisbane is 'boring' compared to Sydney. The divide between opinions of the two cities is even greater than that of the North/South divide back in England, it feels like to me...
Hmm, some good points and things to think about - thanks for your post.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said Brisbane would offer a better lifestyle in terms of affordability. I would like to be able to buy a place at some point, and that isn't really feasible in Sydney at the moment. I know that there are cheaper suburbs, but they seem to me to be quite a way out so would involve quite a bit of commuting. I am near Hornsby at the moment, and it takes about an hour for me to get into the city.

Traffic - I had heard that this was particularly bad in Sydney, so had hoped that Brisbane would be better (would love to hear comments from people on this).

You asked what's hard about visiting places at the weekend - maybe it is just me, but I found that it takes quite a while to get anywhere if you have to go the other side of the city - I would like to be able to explore the coast to the south, as have never been there.

Frenetic lifestyle - again, I get the impression that the pace of life is quicker in Sydney compared to Brisbane, but have no idea if this is true or not, which is why I would love to hear from people who have experienced living in both places.

I suppose in the end it all comes down to personal opinion, so maybe I will just have to try it and see!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:00 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It's bad, but I don't think it's as bad as Sydney.
I get the train now, had enough of traffic jams.

Traffic - I had heard that this was particularly bad in Sydney, so had hoped that Brisbane would be better (would love to hear comments from people on this).
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:02 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Then why do so many make the move
Guess it depends on how you define boring

Originally Posted by chels
But the reaction of people living in Sydney to this plan has been pretty universal horror, as the general belief is that Brisbane is 'boring' compared to Sydney.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:26 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

My answers are in bold, hope this works!

You asked what's hard about visiting places at the weekend - maybe it is just me, but I found that it takes quite a while to get anywhere if you have to go the other side of the city - I would like to be able to explore the coast to the south, as have never been there.

It shouldn't take you too long to get there, if you're driving. Public transport, hmmm, not so easy!

Frenetic lifestyle - again, I get the impression that the pace of life is quicker in Sydney compared to Brisbane, but have no idea if this is true or not, which is why I would love to hear from people who have experienced living in both places.

TBH I don't find Sydney frenetic compared to London, and my experience of Brisbane is that it depends what type of lifestyle you're leading. Like I said, if you work and play hard your lifestyle will be frenetic wherever. It may just be that everyone else goes at a slower pace than you!

I suppose in the end it all comes down to personal opinion, so maybe I will just have to try it and see!

Have a long weekend up there, and go with the mindset of 'Could I live here?' That's what we're planning to do - I've got about 5 months experience of living in Brisbane, but that was a few years ago and involved bunking down at my sister's place, so not a realistic insight into life there.
Originally Posted by themerlin
Then why do so many make the move
Guess it depends on how you define boring

I have to say that the reasons people give for why they think Brisbane is boring don't particularly impress me - they seem to be based on pub opening hours!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Chocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the roughChocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the roughChocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the roughChocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the rough

Lived in Sydney (North Shore, Parramatta and Hill District) for 4 years and moved to Brisbane 4 years ago never regretted it one bit.

Up-side to Brisbane over Sydney:

Traffics not as bad but still a pain especially Gateway and Ipswich motorways.

Salaries are well behind in Brisbane depending on the type of business, I am in IT and the salaries are a good 30k less up here.

House prices are better but climbing, Sydneys have stagnated so they may catch up at some point.

Hospitals are the same but we found it easier to get bulk billed GPs in Brisbane but thats on the Northside of Brisbane.

Child care is much easier to get but again only experience is northside.

Out and about I have found Sydney harbour and Brisbane Southbank similar for wow factor, as for the inner city Brisbane is cleaner and generally smaller.

Plenty to do in both cities one thing to take into account though is the climate - Sydney is definately not as hot in summer as Brisbane, but winters in Brisbane are so nice as a minimum in the day its roughly 16-18 degrees...nice.

All in all I am happier to have my kids grow up in Brisbane from a lifestyle point of view.

Hope this helps in the decision process...

Last edited by Chocolate_Teapot; Mar 13th 2007 at 6:47 am.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:55 am
Just Joined

AngC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Interesting to read your post as I am in a similar position at the moment. Have lived in Sydney for 1.5 years - only just moved back after getting permanent residency. I work in IT and have been offered a perm job in Sydney or a contract role in Brisbane.

I have just spent a week in Brisbane to see what it was like and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

Don't mean to hijack your post but I would be interested to hear whether any single people have made the move to Brisbane and whether they found it easy integrating socially?

Good luck with your decision.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again to all who replied - all opinions help - although I am still undecided! I think I might give Sydney a go for a bit longer, and look to move to Brisbane in a year or two - unless I decide I love it here!
It would be nice to be able to spend some time up in Brisbane - the only real way to make an informed decision - but unfortunately that's not possible.
AngC + Chocolate Teapot - you're both in IT (as is my partner - an analyst programmer) - in your experience is the availability of IT jobs in Brisbane as high/close to Sydney? I know salaries are lower, but then again hopefully that's compensated for by lower house/rent costs.
Cheers,
Buzz
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

si.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud of

We moved from the Sydney area to Brisbane about 7 months ago and have never looked back. I really struggled to find work in Sydney and found it to be a real cutthroat environment (I work in IT also). I found work within days of arriving in Brisbane

The city is a lot more laid back than Sydney and has a real nice atmosphere about it, especially around the weekend markets at South Bank. I love Brisbane, it has everything we need and want out of life.

Brisbane gets the from me.

Good luck.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by si.young
We moved from the Sydney area to Brisbane about 7 months ago and have never looked back. I really struggled to find work in Sydney and found it to be a real cutthroat environment (I work in IT also). I found work within days of arriving in Brisbane

The city is a lot more laid back than Sydney and has a real nice atmosphere about it, especially around the weekend markets at South Bank. I love Brisbane, it has everything we need and want out of life.

Brisbane gets the from me.

Good luck.
Hmm, starting to swing back towards Brisbane again now! I also felt it had a more laid back atmosphere than Sydney when I visited it on holiday, but like I said, that is completely different to actually living there, so it is great to have your view on it.
Thanks!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

I love Sydney, but then again I'm biased as I was born here and most of my family reside here as well.

Hubby is a Brisbanite and, being previously in the army, we were lucky enough to have the opportunity to move around a bit and managed to have a 4 and a half year stint in his home town. Brissy is a great place too- housing is cheaper, roads not as busy traffic-wise and most suburbs are family friendly. Brisbane is actually Australia's biggest geographically sized capital city- it's well spread out and takes up a lot of land

But Sydney, despite all it's faults (higher cost of living, median house price, traffic ) is a FANTASTIC international city and there is ALWAYS something to do. Whether or not you're single, a family or a busy twosome, there's something for everybody and it's impossible to become bored in a city of such contrasts. Weather wise, I prefer it to Brissy (it can get soooo hot up there!!) and wouldn't live anywhere else. We also have the advantage of having beautiful beaches on our doorstop unlike Brissy, where you have to drive to the Gold or Sunshine Coasts.

It really comes back to your individual needs and tastes in living as well. Until you live in a place for at least 6 mths, I don't think you can decide. Suburb choice also plays a vital determinate in your final decision. Good luck whichever way you go
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jacque
I love Sydney, but then again I'm biased as I was born here and most of my family reside here as well.

Hubby is a Brisbanite and, being previously in the army, we were lucky enough to have the opportunity to move around a bit and managed to have a 4 and a half year stint in his home town. Brissy is a great place too- housing is cheaper, roads not as busy traffic-wise and most suburbs are family friendly. Brisbane is actually Australia's biggest geographically sized capital city- it's well spread out and takes up a lot of land

But Sydney, despite all it's faults (higher cost of living, median house price, traffic ) is a FANTASTIC international city and there is ALWAYS something to do. Whether or not you're single, a family or a busy twosome, there's something for everybody and it's impossible to become bored in a city of such contrasts. Weather wise, I prefer it to Brissy (it can get soooo hot up there!!) and wouldn't live anywhere else. We also have the advantage of having beautiful beaches on our doorstop unlike Brissy, where you have to drive to the Gold or Sunshine Coasts.

It really comes back to your individual needs and tastes in living as well. Until you live in a place for at least 6 mths, I don't think you can decide. Suburb choice also plays a vital determinate in your final decision. Good luck whichever way you go
Aagh! Decisions! I think you are so right that it's all about personal opinion, and having to live somewhere for a while to decide. Also, I think that the suburb I am in at the moment isn't ideal for me (prob best I don't name it or I'll annoy all the people who live here and love it!).
In the end for me it's going to have to come down to jobs, as I am not in an area where it is easy to get work, so I can't afford to be too picky.
It's so great to get all these nice replies - these last few weeks have been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster (to be expected I know!) so this helps a lot.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:08 am
Just Joined

AngC is an unknown quantity at this point

On the availability of jobs...there doesn't appear to be as many advertised on the likes of Seek etc for Brisbane - only a handful a week in my type of work which is in financial systems - but I'm not registered with any agents in Brisbane so I couldn't say for definite.

I have noticed that the contracting rates appear to be pretty similar to that of Sydney but the perm rates do seem to come out about 10-20k less.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:15 am
Mozzie magnet

Aagh! Decisions! I think you are so right that it's all about personal opinion, and having to live somewhere for a while to decide. Also, I think that the suburb I am in at the moment isn't ideal for me (prob best I don't name it or I'll annoy all the people who live here and love it!).
In the end for me it's going to have to come down to jobs, as I am not in an area where it is easy to get work, so I can't afford to be too picky.
It's so great to get all these nice replies - these last few weeks have been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster (to be expected I know!) so this helps a lot.
Which suburb are you living in? I'm sure people won't be offended if you name it, not everywhere works for everyone. For instance, I'm not a fan of the Hills district because of the lack of infrastructure etc but can appreciate that for some it's ideal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.