Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney, bit boring, had its day?

Sydney, bit boring, had its day?

Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney, bit boring, had its day?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
To be honest, I tend to think that somebody who goes about saying things like:

"<insert name of capital city here> is a bit boring"

is showing a lack of imagination and it probably reflects more on them than on the city in question.
lol... you haven’t been to Perth have you?

The defence of only boring people find a place boring is a silly one, so then really a boring person would find every place boring, wouldn’t they? I find some places incredibly boring (Perth) but find other places incredibly exciting (Berlin).
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to find the shopping in London so enjoyable that I used to leave it to go shopping in Bluewater.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I did not say only boring people find a place or anything else boring, that was iamthecreaturefromuranus. I will freely admit that I was extremely bored today myself. But I am not calling myself boring and nor am I blaming it on London, the city I happened to be in at the time the boredom came over me.

My comment was just that I think there is something a bit childish about labelling an entire city as boring and I find it hard to believe that there is nothing to do to alleviate boredom.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:41 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
My 'local' has all the atmosphere of an aircraft hanger.... and is about the same size.

I don't know your pub, but I can fully understand what you are getting at. One of the worst pubs I have been to in Australia was the Lapstone Hotel in Blaxland (Blue Mountains). I thought a pub in a quaint village in the mountains would be really nice, yet it was as big as an aircraft hangar, with nasty plastic furniture, overly polished chrome fittings and shiny tiles. Zero atmosphere.

Maybe I should start a website. Swerv-o's Australian pub reviews...

S
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheSun
When i first came to Sydney it was all new and exciting, everyone was preparing for the olympics, new buildings going up everywhere, tunnels being dug linking the city together, the place had a real buzz about it.
I never really gave it much thought until recently when i came back from a trip to Melbourne -the first time i'd been back there in 12 yrs, and was blown away by how much it had changed. It seemed so much bigger and flasher than i had remembered with huge skyscrapers everywhere and i was really impressed by the whole pavement dining euro style culture, great shops and proper boozers.
Walking through Sydney today it just struck me as a bit old and tired, as if it had had its day 10 yrs ago and been left behind. If you took away the Harbour and beaches is there much else because IMO, as a city, its pretty crap! any thoughts?
Thats complete bullshit. I lived in Sydney for 2 years during Olympic times 2000-01 and I went back there again for a validation trip in April 2009. Not much has changed except that its a bit more crowded now (with more Asians).

Its pretty crap?!! Sydney is stilll one of the most liveable cities in the world. No, I am not quoting a published ranking or something, I'm saying this after visiting over 70 cities of the world. So, I guess your comments reflect more on you and your life experiences than the city itself. Get some help, mate....
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:44 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't know your pub, but I can fully understand what you are getting at. One of the worst pubs I have been to in Australia was the Lapstone Hotel in Blaxland (Blue Mountains). I thought a pub in a quaint village in the mountains would be really nice, yet it was as big as an aircraft hangar, with nasty plastic furniture, overly polished chrome fittings and shiny tiles. Zero atmosphere.

Maybe I should start a website. Swerv-o's Australian pub reviews...

S
Here's some pictures of the aforementioned Lapstone Hotel, from their own website:

The Lapstone Hotel

Check out pictures 5 and 6. This is meant to be a pub, not a Holiday Inn!

S
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's some pictures of the aforementioned Lapstone Hotel, from their own website:

The Lapstone Hotel

Check out pictures 5 and 6. This is meant to be a pub, not a Holiday Inn!

S
I cannot stand pubs with TAB's and pokies. The problem with Aussie pubs is they are so plastic, lacking soul. Which is the good thing about Melbourne because there are some gems.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caliburn
Thats complete bullshit. I lived in Sydney for 2 years during Olympic times 2000-01 and I went back there again for a validation trip in April 2009. Not much has changed except that its a bit more crowded now (with more Asians).

Its pretty crap?!! Sydney is stilll one of the most liveable cities in the world. No, I am not quoting a published ranking or something, I'm saying this after visiting over 70 cities of the world. So, I guess your comments reflect more on you and your life experiences than the city itself. Get some help, mate....
Maybe you should spend a bt of time in Melbourne and then return to Sydney and see how far Melbourne has come in the last 10 years in comparison to Sydney.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:12 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Deancm
I cannot stand pubs with TAB's and pokies. The problem with Aussie pubs is they are so plastic, lacking soul. Which is the good thing about Melbourne because there are some gems.

Yup. TAB, pokies and too many flat screen TVs showing non'descript sporting activities that nobody cares about.

I agree with bars in Melbourne - places like The Robot Bar, The Croft Institute and Berlin are awesome. Just couldn't happen in Sydney - not enough room for 200 pokie machines...

S
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Lets face it Aussies can't do pubs Brit style so that's that! Even the Brit pubs haven't quite got it. We did go in one in Melbourne that was fairly authentic but it was the type of Brit pub that you avoided in the UK!

As far as Mel v Syd goes - well we were set to go to Sydney but they changed the points and we ended up in Mel with a STNI visa. I was devastated at the time as I'd built my whole dream on living on the Northern Beaches. The first time we visited Mel was in April and it was cold and rained - I was NOT looking forward to living here but we thought oh heck it's only for 2 years if we do come!

Now we've been here 3 years and quite often pop up to Sydney to see friends and I would say.....

Yep, Sydney Harbour is beautiful and I never get tired of the crossing to Manly

Northern Beaches with WAVES are fantastic.....I love watching waves but the back beaches of Mornington Peninsula are too dangerous to play in sometimes and Torquay is just too far away and it's such a boring journey!

However, I feel Melbourne does win with it's CBD area - the cafes, laneways and shopping is easier. I find Sydney too spread out for shopping and therefore would prefer to go to a Mall.

Sydney is expensive and what really annoys me is that you pay 10% more on a Sunday and the coffee isn't so good!

Sydney and areas have done well with beachside cafes which Melbourne needs to address...I was surprised at the lack of actual beach cafes around the bay although there have been a couple of new ones lately so maybe someone heard me

Weather: Sydney has better weather - warmer and sunnier than Melbourne in winter...I don't like the Melbourne winter and the last one seemed to go on forever but then I don't like any winters! On the whole since we arrived in Mellie the weather has been good and the East coast has taken a pounding with storms. This summer has been lovely in Mel - very settled and not too hot and we've had some beautiful Autumn days. You very rarely get what we call a British day - grey all day, most of the time you do get some sun at some point.

I think like any city area you have to pick your spots to live in and certainly I would only want to live on the north or south beaches in Sydney. TBH there aren't many places I want to live in Melbourne but we like it down here on the Peninsula being only an 1.5 hour from the city if we need a buzz as it can get a bit sleepy down here sometimes!

Melbourne is a place that grows on you and you have to go and discover it as it doesn't have that initial wow factor that Sydney has.

I like both places and wouldn't complain of a nice apartment over looking the harbour in Sydney!

KK

ps I went to the Croft Institute a while ago....amazing bar! We were with some Sydney people and they were amazed at the laneways and graffiti and said it would never be allowed up there.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. TAB, pokies and too many flat screen TVs showing non'descript sporting activities that nobody cares about.

I agree with bars in Melbourne - places like The Robot Bar, The Croft Institute and Berlin are awesome. Just couldn't happen in Sydney - not enough room for 200 pokie machines...

S
Wrong. I've only been in Sydney a couple of months and have already found a couple of nice quirky little pubs. Agree that there is a general overload of shiny monstrosities but a there are a few gems about too.....
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:08 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Guess where this is ...
Attached Thumbnails Sydney, bit boring, had its day?-r2.jpg  
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Guess where this is ...
..errrr...is it in the Gold Coast Hinterland?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:13 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Wrong. I've only been in Sydney a couple of months and have already found a couple of nice quirky little pubs. Agree that there is a general overload of shiny monstrosities but a there are a few gems about too.....

Actually, I did say further up that there were a couple of notable exceptions.

Which ones have you found? I'm always up for a new pub...

Personally I like:

PJ O'Briens (CBD)
The Arthouse (CBD)
Kelly's on King (Newtown)
The Local Tap House (Paddington)
The Observer (The Rocks)
The Hero of Waterloo (The Rocks)
The London (Balmain)
The Angel (CBD)
The Welcome (Balmain)
The Hive (Erskineville)
Trinity (Surry Hills)
Durty Nelly's (Paddington)
The Duke (Enmore)
The East Sydney Hotel (Woolloomooloo)

Hmmm. Maybe this is more than a couple of notable exceptions!

S
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:13 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
..errrr...is it in the Gold Coast Hinterland?
Yes.

(edit) I agree, most drinking joints in Brisbane are shite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.