Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney, bit boring, had its day?

Sydney, bit boring, had its day?

Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:34 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney, bit boring, had its day?

Where we live the vast majority of (Australian) residents are onetime Sydneysiders - and they all moved out because the place is just too feral. Great to be an hour and a half away from both Sydney and Canberra but not to have to endure either!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:35 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm used to feral; I spent 20 years in Leeds
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Every Australian city has the same bloody crap shops with the same bloody crap clothes.
That's very true, Melbourne is not like London or Manchester for shopping. But if Melbourne is bad and Sydneysiders come to Melbourne to shop, can you imagine just how bad Sydney is then?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I actually never 'got' the hype about Sydney, very small pretty inner area, with the overdone icons. But we have relatives there, and I hated the outer city sprawl, traffic and the general build on every blade of grass mentality there. The bits people rave about generally seem to be the tiny bit in the centre. Took the kids down almost 2 years ago, OMG it must be one of the most expensive places we have been!!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been to Melbourne so I'm not really the best person to comment, but friends have told me the climate is similar to the UK's.

My home town in the UK had beautiful architecture, good shopping, art festivals and cafe culture, so it sounds like I'd feel at home in Melbourne.

However, it was too bloody cold, damp and grey to enjoy it.

If Melbourne's climate really is like the UK's, I think it would be a great place for a hit of retail therapy and culture but not to live on a daily basis. There would've been little point in moving all the way here to replicate life back home.

Looking forward to a visit to Melb so I can be proved wrong !
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
I haven't been to Melbourne so I'm not really the best person to comment, but friends have told me the climate is similar to the UK's.

My home town in the UK had beautiful architecture, good shopping, art festivals and cafe culture, so it sounds like I'd feel at home in Melbourne.

If Melbourne's climate really is like the UK's, I think it would be a great place for a hit of retail therapy and culture but not to live on a daily basis. There would've been little point in moving all the way here to replicate life back home.

The hottest day I've experienced since arriving in Australia was in Melbourne. It may have a more variable climate than large parts of Australia, but its hardly 'UK like'.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Melbourne can get hotter than Sydney during summer, and receives far less rainfall than Sydney.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Melbourne can get hotter than Sydney during summer, and receives far less rainfall than Sydney.
One of my friends moaned that they have "radiators in the pubs !" Maybe she visited during a cold spell.

It's sounding more positive anyway.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:38 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

friends have told me the climate is similar to the UK's.
Sorry but I can't help this,

You'd only have to look at the climate stats to see that isn't the case.

Sydney has an average max across the year of 21C...and Melbourne 20C. London is 14C.

I've been working in Sydney for the last 2 months and have seen a heck of a lot of gloomy days & rain...so I can believe the rainfall stats.

I do like Sydney though...but you have to escape the CBD which is totally bland. Mind you I think Melbourne's is too...but the inner suburbs of Melbourne where all the life is are much easier to find than in Sydney, and I think there are more standouts.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne's climate is nothing like the UK's. Melbourne's winter is like spring in the UK, and summer in Melbourne can get extremely hot eg. 46C although averages around 30C. Very little humidity (unlike the UK). Best season is autumn, low to mid 20's on average, little rain, lots of sun, which in my opinion is perfect weather. Allthough, it's going to 29C today and expected to be 31C on the day of the Formual 1 GP on Sunday.

When did you ever see a 31C day in autumn in the UK?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

teepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to all

Shopping's crap in both Sydney and Melbourne, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

my staff haven't complained about the shopping here in sydney.
they are always bringing new stuff home.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:48 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
You have hit the nail on the head. Without the harbour and the beaches Sydney has absolutely nothing going for it.

Ever wonder why Sydneysiders come to Melbourne to do their clothes shopping?

Formula 1 is on in Melbourne this week. Another thing Sydney hasn't got!
Apparently trendy Brisbanites head for Melbourne for a haircut.

Might just be my office then ... I make do with a number 2 from the barber at the station meself ...
Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by canadaeh
I never actually understand that.

Every Australian city has the same bloody crap shops with the same bloody crap clothes.
Yea.... give me London anyday for shopping .
Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Apparently trendy Brisbanites head for Melbourne for a haircut.

Might just be my office then ... I make do with a number 2 from the barber at the station meself ...
Husband does his own. He is soooooo uncool. He's not doing too well at the moment, is he
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:18 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Husband does his own. He is soooooo uncool. He's not doing too well at the moment, is he
I used to visit the bloke at Roma Street, I liked the fact he had an ashtray in his draw and had a shifty smoke as he worked. He was crap at haircuts but it didn't make much difference with my noggin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.