Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney to Adelaide via Princes Highway and Great Ocean Road

Sydney to Adelaide via Princes Highway and Great Ocean Road

Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney to Adelaide via Princes Highway and Great Ocean Road

Hi folks

Well the planning for our validation trip is going well, tickets booked, etc. But I would appreciate your thoughts about our drive from Sydney to Adelaide. I know it would be better to have more time to do it, but there'll be plenty of time to do it again more slowly in years to come....

So, we are leaving Sydney first thing on Thursday 11 October (previous day is our 10th wedding anniversary so lovely hubby has planned a surprise day out for me). We need to be in Phillip Island for the MotoGP the following night. Where en route is unmissable and where would be the best place to stay the Thursday night? Suggestions for which town and also specific hotels/motels/B&B would be welcome, we're not on a particularly tight budget as most of the rest of the trip is staying with friends and family. Maybe somewhere really special would be nice either halfway between Sydney and Phillip Island or between Geelong and Adelaide.

Sunday evening we're thinking of staying on the Mornington Peninsula and then getting the ferry across to Queenscliff the following morning. Any thoughts which town/particular places on the Peninsula and how long will it take from the circuit given it'll be busy with traffic? We're assuming it'll be arrive/eat/sleep rather than a leisurely Sunday evening!

We then need to be in Adelaide by Tuesday night so we've only got Monday/most of Tuesday for that half of the trip. From what I've read elsewhere the bit from Port Fairy to Adelaide is nothing like as lovely as the Geelong/Port Fairy section. Again, what is worth making time for on the way and where's the best place to stay on Tuesday night (town or specific hotel etc)? I have good memories of Port Fairy from many years ago but again I've read stuff on the web which suggests it's lost some of its magic.

Thanks in advance.

Louie
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:25 pm
Banned

ozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really nice
Default Re: Sydney to Adelaide via Princes Highway and Great Ocean Road

Originally Posted by louie
Hi folks

Well the planning for our validation trip is going well, tickets booked, etc. But I would appreciate your thoughts about our drive from Sydney to Adelaide. I know it would be better to have more time to do it, but there'll be plenty of time to do it again more slowly in years to come....

So, we are leaving Sydney first thing on Thursday 11 October (previous day is our 10th wedding anniversary so lovely hubby has planned a surprise day out for me). We need to be in Phillip Island for the MotoGP the following night. Where en route is unmissable and where would be the best place to stay the Thursday night? Suggestions for which town and also specific hotels/motels/B&B would be welcome, we're not on a particularly tight budget as most of the rest of the trip is staying with friends and family. Maybe somewhere really special would be nice either halfway between Sydney and Phillip Island or between Geelong and Adelaide.

Sunday evening we're thinking of staying on the Mornington Peninsula and then getting the ferry across to Queenscliff the following morning. Any thoughts which town/particular places on the Peninsula and how long will it take from the circuit given it'll be busy with traffic? We're assuming it'll be arrive/eat/sleep rather than a leisurely Sunday evening!

We then need to be in Adelaide by Tuesday night so we've only got Monday/most of Tuesday for that half of the trip. From what I've read elsewhere the bit from Port Fairy to Adelaide is nothing like as lovely as the Geelong/Port Fairy section. Again, what is worth making time for on the way and where's the best place to stay on Tuesday night (town or specific hotel etc)? I have good memories of Port Fairy from many years ago but again I've read stuff on the web which suggests it's lost some of its magic.

Thanks in advance.

Louie
l think Port Fairy's just as good as its always been, l think you should stay there, the Grampian mountains and Halls Gap 1 hour north are worth a visit
but might be too far out of your way. Bridgewater BAy near Portland is also worth visiting, also Nelson but that may also be out of your way.
At Warrnambool the Logan bay whale lookout is worth a visit also the Warrnambool botanic gardens.
Also Tower hill on the way to PT fairy and armstrong bay near tower hill.
From the S.A border to Adelaide the countryside is boring and nowhere worth stoping except to have a look at the river murray.

Last edited by ozlord; Aug 17th 2007 at 4:29 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, did this journey in reverse in April.

We went via the Fleurieu (sp) Peninsula and stopped at Naracoorte overnight and saw the caves. Then blasted through Mt Gambier onto the Ocean Rd. In retrospect this section could have done with bring shorter as we had lots of stops to see the 12 apostles etc. Stopped overnight at Apollo Bay. From there to the ferry and up the Mornington Peninsula. Didn't stop as had a room booked on Phillip Island. Lots of lovely beaches though just off the road etc. Take your pick! Had a great time on Phillip Island. Can advise you to take the more expensive Penguin watching position - you see lots more but wear WARM CLOTHES to the Penguin parade it's nippy at night! Koala park was good but avoid the Italian on the seafront - go to the noodle bar instead.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone any thoughts about the first night - maybe Narooma, Bermagui, Tathra, Merimbula, Eden, Mallacoota? Which of these are nice and likely to be half way in driving time?

Thanks.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Anyone any thoughts about the first night - maybe Narooma, Bermagui, Tathra, Merimbula, Eden, Mallacoota? Which of these are nice and likely to be half way in driving time?

Thanks.
mallacoota is a lovely little spot, bit off the beaten track too
Old Aug 18th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I've done this trip both ways quite a few times ...you don't have very much time do you? I agree with what Gotooz said ...Eden is lovely and I just love Orbost but not sure if that is too far for your Thursday night stay. I think Port Fairy is just as nice as it's always been. From Mount Gambier it is around 6 hours drive to Adelaide...5 if you put your foot down, but it is rather boring until you get to the Fleurieu Peninsula