swimming pool

Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: swimming pool

Originally Posted by aston man
or not ?are they overrated...?

are they a waste of money if they dont add value to the house?

thanks(sorry if this has been done)...
aston

yes or
depends on the state you in..we lived in Melbourne on arrival and yeah would be a waste, but then moved to QLD and rented a house with a pool wasnt on our list of criteria but once you had a summer here and a house with a pool theres no goin back... just moved into our own home with no pool and its now the no 1 priority over everythin!!!!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dolliedimples
depends on the state you in..we lived in Melbourne on arrival and yeah would be a waste, but then moved to QLD and rented a house with a pool wasnt on our list of criteria but once you had a summer here and a house with a pool theres no goin back... just moved into our own home with no pool and its now the no 1 priority over everythin!!!!
oh yeah forgot to add they def add value on your home.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:44 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We wouldn't be without ours. My two have spent pretty much all arvo in ours. Isn't a pain, you do need to keep on top of it as Biggy says but we have a great pool shop nearby, regularly use the test strips and have hardly had to use any chemicals bar a bit of salt and some stabiliser.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dolliedimples
oh yeah forgot to add they def add value on your home.
They don't always. It's dependent on area - only good in areas where there are a lot of families with young kids. I know a few people who've filled theirs in when the kids grew up as they didn't want the hassle of maintaining something they never used.

A pool is the last thing some people want. I'd never buy a house with one.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

If we owned our house we would defo put one in. If and when we buy first thing we'll do is install a pool.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:38 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

We have a pool in our rental (last 19mths) and the house we have bought has one. Although it was not on high list of priorites to do if we ended up buying somewhere without.

For us we have hardly used it - spent more time maintaining it. Some of the reasons:
Too cold a lot of the time - 2 winters, no heating, no cover, only gets direct sun in arvo to heat it up.
Have very young children - ie need to be in pool to supervise, or too cold for bubs, or they wake up just as I think about putting a cossie on

I can see the pool at our house getting used as the children get older, not just by them (great way to tire them out!) but also for me to swim in rather that just splash around with the kids. Plus it it has solar heating & nth facing so should extend time it is used for during the year
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:15 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
or not ?are they overrated...?

are they a waste of money if they dont add value to the house?

thanks(sorry if this has been done)...
aston

yes or
I would never build another pool again. A complete waste of time and money.

If I were to build again then I would consider a spa instead. A LOT cheaper, you can use it year round even in the depths of winter and frankly thats what most people use their pool for anyway - sitting in it drinking. Most pools are not any decent size or depth to consider using for health reasons such as lap swimming.

I think that many Brits find the novelty value good, but wait a couple of years and you wont use it again.

For kids many different but I'd get a heated spa and keep the $15-20k I'd save (not to mention the hassle).
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:26 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I would never build another pool again. A complete waste of time and money.

If I were to build again then I would consider a spa instead. A LOT cheaper, you can use it year round even in the depths of winter and frankly thats what most people use their pool for anyway - sitting in it drinking. Most pools are not any decent size or depth to consider using for health reasons such as lap swimming.

I think that many Brits find the novelty value good, but wait a couple of years and you wont use it again.

For kids many different but I'd get a heated spa and keep the $15-20k I'd save (not to mention the hassle).
That's exactly what happened to us. Went through all the hasstle and money of putting in a pool and then hardly used it. This was the second pool too so we should have known better Having said that, if you have young kids you probably will use it far more..

This time we got a heated spa and have used it far more than we ever did the pool. It's absolutly bloody fantastic and I'd never ever get a pool again.

I reckon maybe a pool if you got kids, a spa if you haven't
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:27 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
That's exactly what happened to us. Went through all the hasstle and money of putting in a pool and then hardly used it. This was the second pool too so we should have known better Having said that, if you have young kids you probably will use it far more..

This time we got a heated spa and have used it far more than we ever did the pool. It's absolutly bloody fantastic and I'd never ever get a pool again.

I reckon maybe a pool if you got kids, a spa if you haven't
or like we have, both
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:29 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
or like we have, both
Aye, posh buggar
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:45 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Urno
Great to have one (ours is in a rental, so we're test driving) but they are quite a pain to maintain. And if/when water is a huge issue then it's gonna be expensive to top it up!
Its a myth that pools use lots of water.......I haven't topped up from town water for over 18 months now......have a downpipe diverter which cost about $100 to buy and install. My pool has been more full than it should be i.e. over the top of the skimmer box for months even with relatively little rain. If your pool is consuming massive amounts of water there's probably a leak somewhere.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a pommie migrant to Oz and want to "live the dream" you've got to have a pool - it's the law!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:46 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Its a myth that pools use lots of water.......I haven't topped up from town water for over 18 months now.....
I reckon that's because you're kids are pissing in it!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I reckon that's because you're kids are pissing in it!
Must be the possums then.....no sprogs here!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

Depends where you live mate . In Melbourne , well maybe if you have young kids it might be worth it , but i can't see the point . If its really hot i'd go to the beach and if its not , well i wouldn't use it anyway.

You'd get far more use out of a Spa , cheaper to buy / install and takes up less space.

Also think a Spa is more likely to add value to a house as its got wider appeal. Many people would get put off buying a house if it has a pool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.