Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swapping Oz for New Zealand

Swapping Oz for New Zealand

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swapping Oz for New Zealand

I've read that a permanent residency visa 175 for Australia is also valid for New Zealand. Can anyone tell me if they have diverted to New Zealand after getting their visa and if so, how easy was it.
Cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Swapping Oz for New Zealand

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I've read that a permanent residency visa 175 for Australia is also valid for New Zealand. Can anyone tell me if they have diverted to New Zealand after getting their visa and if so, how easy was it.
Cheers
We are interested in this also. Heard from someone on the forum that the 175 PR allows you to work and live in NZ but then obviously time in NZ doesn't count towards OZ citizenship.

We are set on going to Oz but seeing a lot about NZ recently for some reason and liking what I see A LOT!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

luckygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Cheers
Hi, we are thinking about doing this. We've made no major plans for Oz yet.

LG
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by luckygirl
Hi, we are thinking about doing this. We've made no major plans for Oz yet.

LG
Where you thinking of going to in Nz? What made you change your mind?

Our minds are being swayed purley by the scenery we have been seeing when looking at Nz, plus the fact of lower cost housing, etc. Not tied to Oz yet so might as well keep our option open eh!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:31 am
Just Joined

luckygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyR
Where you thinking of going to in Nz? What made you change your mind?

Our minds are being swayed purley by the scenery we have been seeing when looking at Nz, plus the fact of lower cost housing, etc. Not tied to Oz yet so might as well keep our option open eh!

We originally wanted to go to NZ, I also have a friend over there and he loves it.
Definitely going to keep the options open at the moment.

LG
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:53 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

As an Australian citizen, this is something I have been considering. But it won't be as much of a big deal for me, as I have a lot of family in this part of the world, as well as plenty of places to store my stuff if I decide the move won't be a long term thing!

I am very aware of the fact MANY more New Zealanders move to Australia than Australians moving to New Zealand. I am not Australia's biggest fan, however, and I think it might be nice to give New Zealand a go.

Of course this would be much harder if I had to take children into consideration....
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

johnokiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Oz vs NZ or NZ vs Oz seems a perennial dilemma for those emigrating - it certainly was for us!

We chose NZ and are now in Oz - the reasons for the swap are many, but in the end financial considerations became unfortunately overriding...if you choose NZ be very careful to get a good salary as the cost of living we found to be much higher than it may seem - my OH took a third less salary in NZ and it became v difficult with a family..

We loved the scenery and a lot of other things about NZ (many of which we miss) but in the end it wasn't enough to sustain our future there

It's early days in Oz and we are liking it so far but it is such a relief to have a proper income again to take the pressure off and allow us to have the opportunity to have a proper go at making a new life for ourselves...(and be able to afford to get out and see the scenery!)