Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tradesmen Struggling to find work!

Tradesmen Struggling to find work!

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future
Default Tradesmen Struggling to find work!

Hi,
I am really interested to find out if everyone in trades is really struggling to find work. We have been in Australia since October(me, OH and two children) first Melbourne to stay with Family and then flew to the Gold Coast in December. My OH is an Installation Electrician, he has over 20 years experience, he has his licence, blue card and CPR to start work and he is applying for all the jobs he can but he is having just no luck at all. He has signed up with all the agencies and still no luck. He is applying to jobs Brisbane north and south side and gold coast areas. I am starting to get a little worried now that we might just have to go back to England, as we have had no income coming in now since October and we will not be able to survive much longer.

Just wanted to know what the situation was for others.
Many thanks Nicola
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tradesmen Struggling to find work!

Originally Posted by Chris Ball
Hi,
I am really interested to find out if everyone in trades is really struggling to find work. We have been in Australia since October(me, OH and two children) first Melbourne to stay with Family and then flew to the Gold Coast in December. My OH is an Installation Electrician, he has over 20 years experience, he has his licence, blue card and CPR to start work and he is applying for all the jobs he can but he is having just no luck at all. He has signed up with all the agencies and still no luck. He is applying to jobs Brisbane north and south side and gold coast areas. I am starting to get a little worried now that we might just have to go back to England, as we have had no income coming in now since October and we will not be able to survive much longer.

Many thanks Nicola
That really does suck Nicola and I really feel for you. Things are not good at the moment, I am a brickie working in sydney and things are slowing down very fast. The only suggestion I can give is get the business white pages and get Hubby to call companies direct, when they need somebody you may just find yourselves in the right place at the right time, I did this when I first came out here and got a job on my second call! Alternatively find where some of the big sites are and find out which electrical contractors are working the sites, often companies even when things are bad will hire someone because of the contract deadlines they need to meet; it may not be long term employment but it will be a start. Good luck. Chris
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:39 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure what an installation electrician is but I would also try calling some of the signage companies. They often need an electrician on staff if he was happy to work outside of his trade aswell - putting up signage etc

Vivienne
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:43 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Many thanks Nicola
Has he tried some knocking on doors? sometimes pays dividends
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by easty1976
That really does suck Nicola and I really feel for you. Things are not good at the moment, I am a brickie working in sydney and things are slowing down very fast. The only suggestion I can give is get the business white pages and get Hubby to call companies direct, when they need somebody you may just find yourselves in the right place at the right time, I did this when I first came out here and got a job on my second call! Alternatively find where some of the big sites are and find out which electrical contractors are working the sites, often companies even when things are bad will hire someone because of the contract deadlines they need to meet; it may not be long term employment but it will be a start. Good luck. Chris
Thanks for the good luck, but i forgot to say that he has driven around most of the site around here and nothing going, i think he will start ringing companies out of the A-Z like you said and hope it works like it did for you.
Thanks Nicola
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

posted a similar thread to this not long ago but was more general jobs, not just tradies and altho' its no comfort it seems to be same all over Australia in all occupations. We are lucky coz i am working full time so just managing but OH has had no luck since we landed in Oct. He's a QS but started life as carpenter but can't get work in either. I reckon all we can do is keep plugging away but some days its hard to keep cheerful. Wishing you all best of luck!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

It is a crappy time of year to seek work.
Christmas hols are only just over, so look on seek.com and josearch.gov.au amongst others for jobs in trades and services.

Often the best way seems to be personal recommendation or contacts. So perhaps take up any casual work (via agencies) and your H may find some good contacts or perhaps some job offers might appear.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:47 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Many thanks Nicola
If you ever think of relocating to Melbourne I may be able to help with contacts.It's a case of who you know for your first job,once your up and running you can move around.
Best of luck
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:15 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Hi Nicola,

Really sorry to hear that your hubby is out of work and i am trying to get out there as a spark also ! So i am always keeping an eye out regarding work etc etc

I have just looked on SEEK HERE
And they seem to have a few going in your area but are they just like the agencies here then? that just want to get you on there books registered ?

Hope you get some luck soon

Regards

Dougie
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:58 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I think tradesmen in general would get a lot more work if they ever bothered to return phone calls or emails, or ever actually responded to requests for quotations.

Clearly there is more than enough work in Melbourne as tradesmen just don't seem very interested in new jobs.

Buzzy
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:24 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

We have been on the sunshine coast since August, OH is a plumber and we have been applying Brisbane n&s , sunny coast and goldie....No Luck! There really isn't ANYTHING, and if there is the chances are it will go to an aussie with Aussie experience, just bad timing on our behalf We too may have to go home, our lease is up in March, we are not sure that we will be renewing.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Hammer4life is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I'm new to this and found it looking for imformation on getting my full license as an electrician, then noticed this thread on work availability.
We've been on the Sunshine Coast since Xmas and without fail the people we've met all say you won't have any trouble getting work. Wrong!
I've applied for nearly 30 jobs thro' every method you can think of i've had 2 job interviews after sending off countless CVs. Don't get me wrong, we arrived at the wrong time right on the holiday period, but (a) I think it is tough when you're waiting on doing a regs course (compulsary) to get a full license, up to 6 months in Queensland and (b) So many sparks are coming back out the mine.
I've been competing against 15 to 20 every advert i answer from the feedback i've got. If you have no full license it makes it alot harder.
Genrally i've seen a fair ammount of adverts but probably like alot of others i've slowly looked further and further afield for work after drawing blanks.
Alot of people said that we should have gone to Brisbane or The Gold Coast as it better work prospects, but we love the Sunshine Coast and although it's an hour and a quarters drive from here i got a job, not ideally what i wanted but i'm just gonna sit it out for the next year at least. Especially when i hear that many all round Queensland infact Australia are experience difficulties finding work.
Believe me we are very worried but with a bit of luck, we should be ok. Besides going back is not an option for us.
I know everyone has different cicumstances so it's hard comparing what one found easy and another found hard.
I still think Oz has still more to offer in the way of economic growth it's just whether each of us can ride this slump out.
keith
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Hammer4life is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry mate but Countries are built by tradesmen, what your talking about is greedy, lazy f**kers who would have done a sh** job for you anyway cos they're not capable of anything else. They'd be like that whatever they did for a living and still seem to well out of doing it.
What you need to do is find a good tradesman (and there are many) and treat them like one!
Keith

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I think tradesmen in general would get a lot more work if they ever bothered to return phone calls or emails, or ever actually responded to requests for quotations.

Clearly there is more than enough work in Melbourne as tradesmen just don't seem very interested in new jobs.

Buzzy
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

stevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nicestevenick is just really nice

yeah, brickie laid off at xmas. some of you will have seen what i have posted about chasing work at the moment on other threads. doing courier work at moment to pay bills while i hopefully get my contractors licence. just waiting for some prat in the uk to come on and acuse you all of making it up to stop them coming over and nicking your work!!!!!!!