Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Survival.. How Difficult or Easy ??

Survival.. How Difficult or Easy ??

Old May 25th 2004, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

sid1104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Survival.. How Difficult or Easy ??

For someone who is not having fortunes ($’s) .. and lands up in Australia.. how difficult it is to find some kind of a job.. to get going till the time you find a job in your own field.

I mean, how difficult/easy it is to find a job in a Store/ Petrol Station/ McDonalds/ Salesman/ Courier Delivery man/ or a Temporary Office work (odd jobs, so to speak) – that pays you *something* to get going.

Any idea, what are the minimum wages per hour for people working in stores/ petrol stations/ McDonalds etc.
Old May 25th 2004, 11:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Survival.. How Difficult or Easy ??

Originally posted by sid1104
For someone who is not having fortunes ($’s) .. and lands up in Australia.. how difficult it is to find some kind of a job.. to get going till the time you find a job in your own field.

I mean, how difficult/easy it is to find a job in a Store/ Petrol Station/ McDonalds/ Salesman/ Courier Delivery man/ or a Temporary Office work (odd jobs, so to speak) – that pays you *something* to get going.

Any idea, what are the minimum wages per hour for people working in stores/ petrol stations/ McDonalds etc.
Sid
Where are you planning to go to?
It would seem that most jobs are in expensive areas.
Presumably the sort of work you describe would be in places like Sydney which has a higher cost of living.
Looking through past threads relatively unskilled jobs seem the most difficult to get in some places.
Maybe better answered by someone already there.

Good luck

G
Old May 25th 2004, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

sid1104 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am skilled and hope to get a good job after I land in OZ..

asked this just in case it does takes some time before I get a good job (thinking about the worst case scenario...)

keeping my fings. crossed.
Old May 25th 2004, 1:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not nowing your age Sid, I'll make a general comment - burger bars, supermarkets etc go for kids, because they are cheaper and more expendable. You could look at something sort of the "next rung up" like courier driver, but the jobs we regard as "easy to get" in the UK are a bit different here. Even a bar-person has to go on a course first (at least in Queensland).
Old May 25th 2004, 1:42 pm
joveazey

Hi,

When we were in Perth for a month in Dec/Jan there were loads of courier jobs but you have to have your own white van. I think the money was quite good because a friend of my partners had just emigrated and was going to do it for a while whilst looking for a skilled job.

Jo