Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is surfing total impossible north of Gladstone?

Is surfing total impossible north of Gladstone?

Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:55 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is surfing total impossible north of Gladstone?

Hi
We are flying out 3 weeks on Wednesday!!!! and are going to fly up to Townsville and work our way down to Brisbane and decide where we are going to live and hopefully get a job . We love the idea of taking up surfing (never done it before ) and have read in lonley planet that there is no surf north of Town of 1770 because of the reef. For all of you live in the north are there any waves to surf on, we wont be wanting anything hard core but it would be a shame if we couldn't give it a go and would perhaps sway us to live Sunshine coast/Brisbane/Gold coast.

Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:14 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is surfing total impossible north of Gladstone?

Kemp Beach at Yeppoon has surfers on it...and there is a comp here every year...its just knowing where to go
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:18 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi
We are flying out 3 weeks on Wednesday!!!! and are going to fly up to Townsville and work our way down to Brisbane and decide where we are going to live and hopefully get a job . We love the idea of taking up surfing (never done it before ) and have read in lonley planet that there is no surf north of Town of 1770 because of the reef. For all of you live in the north are there any waves to surf on, we wont be wanting anything hard core but it would be a shame if we couldn't give it a go and would perhaps sway us to live Sunshine coast/Brisbane/Gold coast.

Thanks
Hey dude, can usually catch some really cool waves on the odd occasion between November and April, but not guaranteed every day mahhnn. Hang loose surfdude..
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:11 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
No surf in Townsville but plenty of jobs I think you've got your priorities a little confused
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:24 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Depends how good you are.

There is a secret spot reasonably close to Mackay. It involves a bit of a boat trip to some of the most consistent, hollow breaks anywhere in Australia.

not the best spot for kooks, however.....
Old Aug 12th 2006, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The A Team
No surf in Townsville but plenty of jobs I think you've got your priorities a little confused
You reckon? I think they may have their priorities sorted. Maybe they want 'Quality of life' rather than 'Quantity of life'?
Old Aug 12th 2006, 4:41 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
You reckon? I think they may have their priorities sorted. Maybe they want 'Quality of life' rather than 'Quantity of life'?
We've got a great quality of life here thank you Just being realistic that's all
Old Aug 12th 2006, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Latona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud of

hi del boy
we are heading to mackay in October and my son was disappointed to hear from someone that there was no surf in mackay . can you please tell me roughly where it is
many thanks
Denise
Old Aug 12th 2006, 8:12 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Latona
hi del boy
we are heading to mackay in October and my son was disappointed to hear from someone that there was no surf in mackay . can you please tell me roughly where it is
many thanks
Denise

Well, Mackay has a fairly large but dedicated surfing population. It even used to have a proper (ie not city beach, bros Neilsen etc) surf shop.

Groundswells are rare due to the reef, But I've surfed Harbour beach on a windswell at over 8 feet. For groundswell perfection think Swains reef....you'll find the general area on a coastal chart. Unreal surf and very uncrowded. No unfriendly locals either....well, not human ones anyway !

Also, Lamberts Beach for the mainland bound (nr Slade Point) often produces a decent wave
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:13 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The A Team
We've got a great quality of life here thank you Just being realistic that's all

Yea is job is really important to us. Ian is a mechanical fitter/supervisor in a quarry at the moment and I am a primary school teacher. We like the look of Townsville and are looking foward to visiting. How do you think we will get on with jobs?

No surf is a shame as we really want to give it a go, but then you do have magnetic island which looks great.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:24 am
cheeky tart

Yea is job is really important to us. Ian is a mechanical fitter/supervisor in a quarry at the moment and I am a primary school teacher. We like the look of Townsville and are looking foward to visiting. How do you think we will get on with jobs?

No surf is a shame as we really want to give it a go, but then you do have magnetic island which looks great.
Tried to send you a PM earlier but your inbox was full!

Magnetic Island is so pretty both to look at from the mainland and to spend a day/weekend on. Townsville is in the middle of the Great Barrier Reef Marine park so you're better off taking up diving or snorkeling round these parts. We're close enough to Cairns, Mission Beach/Dunk Island and the Whitsundays that we can go for along weekend but Townsville itself has got plenty to do.

I sometimes see Hanson Quarries advertising jobs. If you want any more info send me a PM and I'll do my best to help
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:29 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Hi
Am going to have to delete some messages. Have sent you an email, I apologise in advance for its length!!