Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surfers Paradise? Queensland? Maybe?

Surfers Paradise? Queensland? Maybe?

Old May 10th 2007, 7:51 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Surfers Paradise? Queensland? Maybe?

Me and the wife have been talking about having kids next year. Well we would like to start a family. We also want to buy a house in the next 2-3 years. At the moment we live in Sydney. Now we all know the price of Sydney for apartments never mind houses. My mate i work with has a daughter in Surfers who sent him a local housing paper.( hes thinking of moving also) Anyway me and the wife had a look at the cost of a 3 bed house around Surfers to buy. Its way way way cheaper than Sydney. So we are 95% going to move next year. We currently pay $320 a week for a 2 bed unit in Randwick Sydney. But after looking in the paper from up there. We could cut that by at least $100 for something similar renting. My company has some jobs up there. So i should be able to get a transfer to SP. The wife currently works in an old folks home. So she should be ok up there also. So i guess the reason for this thread is just to hear from others who live up that way. What do you think? House prices? Work for the wife or me if we went without getting a transfer(i'm a spark, no licence yet). I would also like to have a house and not an apartment. Anyway enough for now. I'll ask more questions later if you dont mind?
Old May 10th 2007, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice
Default Re: Surfers Paradise? Queensland? Maybe?

Go for it. If your young and on the verge of kicking off the family you'll need every economic advantage you can latch onto.

Been through thataways a few times. Not my scene but as a young couple I think you'll luv it. Good luck
Old May 10th 2007, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

My parents live there and I think it's great. It's not everybody's cup of tea but if you stay out of the very centre, especially at Schoolies and Indy, there's loads to do. I just get excited everytime I drive there and see Q1 in the distance.
Old May 10th 2007, 12:26 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Why was this thread moved? I posting in the Barbie as i believed i'd get more of a response. Being where it is. I have had 2 replies?
Old May 10th 2007, 12:33 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Me and the wife have been talking about having kids next year. Well we would like to start a family. We also want to buy a house in the next 2-3 years. At the moment we live in Sydney. Now we all know the price of Sydney for apartments never mind houses. My mate i work with has a daughter in Surfers who sent him a local housing paper.( hes thinking of moving also) Anyway me and the wife had a look at the cost of a 3 bed house around Surfers to buy. Its way way way cheaper than Sydney. So we are 95% going to move next year. We currently pay $320 a week for a 2 bed unit in Randwick Sydney. But after looking in the paper from up there. We could cut that by at least $100 for something similar renting. My company has some jobs up there. So i should be able to get a transfer to SP. The wife currently works in an old folks home. So she should be ok up there also. So i guess the reason for this thread is just to hear from others who live up that way. What do you think? House prices? Work for the wife or me if we went without getting a transfer(i'm a spark, no licence yet). I would also like to have a house and not an apartment. Anyway enough for now. I'll ask more questions later if you dont mind?

hi mate have you started your licence application yet ???
Old May 10th 2007, 12:39 pm
Freedom!

Originally Posted by steve`o
hi mate have you started your licence application yet ???
Got the forms but haven't sent anything back.ie certified copies of originals. I work in the security and CCTV industry at the moment so no need for sparky licence. But i want to get it some point next year. Is QLD easier than NSW? Or much the same?
Old May 10th 2007, 12:51 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Got the forms but haven't sent anything back.ie certified copies of originals. I work in the security and CCTV industry at the moment so no need for sparky licence. But i want to get it some point next year. Is QLD easier than NSW? Or much the same?

very similar to nsw mate

you have three options really

1) peer in south australia
i believe the course last a month ( wendy would be a good source of info on this one wendy where are you ???? ) then you swap the sa licence for a qld one

2) local tafe / electrcal safety office

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...ning/licences/

3) a qld private company i recommend qet ( i used them and chris who runs it is really helpful and knowledgable )

http://www.qet.edu.au/

if you need any help email me via be and i`ll see what i can do

now regards the gold coast we live here currentley at varsity lakes and soon ( when i`ve finished the renovation ) worongary

really enjoying the area, the schools great and the lifestlye that goes with living in australia

regards steve
Old May 11th 2007, 11:51 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by steve`o
very similar to nsw mate

you have three options really

1) peer in south australia
i believe the course last a month ( wendy would be a good source of info on this one wendy where are you ???? ) then you swap the sa licence for a qld one

2) local tafe / electrcal safety office

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...ning/licences/

3) a qld private company i recommend qet ( i used them and chris who runs it is really helpful and knowledgable )

http://www.qet.edu.au/

if you need any help email me via be and i`ll see what i can do

now regards the gold coast we live here currentley at varsity lakes and soon ( when i`ve finished the renovation ) worongary

really enjoying the area, the schools great and the lifestlye that goes with living in australia

regards steve

Thanks for that mate. It wont happen soon. But we will probbaly move early next year. Will keep ya posted.
Old May 12th 2007, 11:21 am
Freedom!

So no one else got some info/input? What do you think? Whats about buying a house in a secure complex? I notice they seem to be cheaper.
Old May 12th 2007, 11:48 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

So no one else got some info/input? What do you think? Whats about buying a house in a secure complex? I notice they seem to be cheaper.
Hi mate,

Like Steve O we are living in Varsity Lakes, 15 mins from Surfers.

I wouldnt swap it for the world, why are you looking for a gated complex? Security is ok here !! lol

If you go to http://intheheartofrobina.com.au there are some real estate agents on there for this area and you can see what kind of prices are around for both renting and buying.

Gold Coast wins hands down I say !!

Nick
Old May 14th 2007, 7:33 am
Freedom!

No real reason for the gated complex. Just that i saw houses for sale and rent in these complexes and just wondered about them. We will probably pop up in a few months and have a look around. Looking at moving in the first few months of next year.Maybe?
Old May 27th 2007, 1:32 am
Freedom!

How far is Narang from the coast? Is Robina a good area? Whats about Southport and Labrador? Cheers.
Old May 27th 2007, 6:44 am
Freedom!

Anyone know any good websites to look at for buying and renting houses up in the Gold Coast?
Old May 29th 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

How far is Narang from the coast? Is Robina a good area? Whats about Southport and Labrador? Cheers.
Robina is lovely, as is Mudgereeba. Didnt care much for Nerang, but lived in robina and its great - very central. Burleigh is nice too, nice parks and beaches.

We are moving back over and will go back to the Robina areawithout a doubt. Also Clear Island Waters is lovely - it all is!!!!!!!!!!!!!