Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Supermarkets!!!!

Wikiposts

Supermarkets!!!!

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:46 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarkets!!!!

The supermarkets where e live sell everything our English one sells except monterey jack cheese fro my nachos!

This sadi they do feel dated in the way they look. The other day i think i twigged a small part of the difference, its the aisle widths, the isles are tiny and make you feel hemmed in. And they still have sweets at the end of the check outs
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 4:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hevs
The supermarkets where e live sell everything our English one sells except monterey jack cheese fro my nachos!

This sadi they do feel dated in the way they look. The other day i think i twigged a small part of the difference, its the aisle widths, the isles are tiny and make you feel hemmed in. And they still have sweets at the end of the check outs
I think the newer ones have got wider aisles. We've had two new Woolworths open up in Victoria Point in the last few years, and they seem much better than the older ones i've been in.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Well, long may Oz supermarkets remain underdeveloped I say. In the UK, the corporatisation of the high street is led by the supermarkets which crush all other shopping options. Now we have Tesco: the supermarket that ate Britain. Yuk.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:54 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Supermarkets turn the screws
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:59 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by hevs

nice one Hevs...

have to admit, IGA has those aluminium shelves which look old, if it wasn't for the scanning, you could almost imagine the prices in plastic.

The widths are a surprise; you'd expect Australia having more space would have planned wider aisles from the start.

I recall even Sainsbury having sweets, or "fillers" at the end.

Badge

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:35 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
I recall even Sainsbury having sweets, or "fillers" at the end.

Badge
They stopped it in our local one about 5 years ago, Morrisons on the other hand didn't.......

Some IGA's are real raves from the graves, but they sell great pork sausages on the deli counter and cheap plugs too
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:19 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Storini
Well, long may Oz supermarkets remain underdeveloped I say. In the UK, the corporatisation of the high street is led by the supermarkets which crush all other shopping options. Now we have Tesco: the supermarket that ate Britain. Yuk.
And nothing to do with the £30 parking fine from the council if you take 5 mins too long shopping in the high street. Give me the Tesco's free car park any day.

A
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:03 am
Just Joined

syltgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Neil, we are awaiting our visa from lodgement March 2004 meds Aug/Sep 2004 and fingers crossed. We went to Melbourne Nov 2004 and loved it - have some friends in Bittern and fell in love with the Morinigton Peninsular - Shop wise - we hired a Maui Motor Home and started at Footscray - well, just say it got better and better - supermarked at Footscray really good and we loved the Victoria Market and we believe the Dandenong Market is good too? I love markets anyhow - specially first thing in the morning - all fresh goods - best fruit and veg at Ballarat. We did the Great Ocean Road and drove up from Port Fairy to Halls Gap (Great place), loved Apollo Bay but the Mornington Peninsular takes our hearts. We are looking to rent in Frankstron and buy further south (Mornington, Hastings, Bittern etc). Must say that the wine is expensive. A bottle of Linderman's (under offer) is around £4.00 here and I expected it to be cheaper! Also the vinyard wines are not cheap! Less of the drinking I guess.... Syltgirl
Originally Posted by Neil S
What I like about Oz supermarkets is that they always pack the carrier bags for you and also they are open from 6am to midnight around here even on a Sunday. Also Safeway and Coles in Mornington both have their own liquor stores right next to the main shop. The diversity of the fruit is good, but I have to say I don't think the quality of the grapes/peaches/strawberries in Safeway are as good as in the UK. The seem to go off quicker. You sort of get used to the checkout assistants always saying 'how are you today', suppose they are just trying to be nice.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Hi syltgirl, good luck with your visa. Surprised about your concern with the wine prices, did you use Dan Murphy's? They are about the cheapest liqour retailer and our fave wine goes for about 8.90 dollars there, cheaper if you get 12 bottles or more. By the way we have some friends in Bittern too. Neil.

Originally Posted by syltgirl
Hi Neil, we are awaiting our visa from lodgement March 2004 meds Aug/Sep 2004 and fingers crossed. We went to Melbourne Nov 2004 and loved it - have some friends in Bittern and fell in love with the Morinigton Peninsular - Shop wise - we hired a Maui Motor Home and started at Footscray - well, just say it got better and better - supermarked at Footscray really good and we loved the Victoria Market and we believe the Dandenong Market is good too? I love markets anyhow - specially first thing in the morning - all fresh goods - best fruit and veg at Ballarat. We did the Great Ocean Road and drove up from Port Fairy to Halls Gap (Great place), loved Apollo Bay but the Mornington Peninsular takes our hearts. We are looking to rent in Frankstron and buy further south (Mornington, Hastings, Bittern etc). Must say that the wine is expensive. A bottle of Linderman's (under offer) is around £4.00 here and I expected it to be cheaper! Also the vinyard wines are not cheap! Less of the drinking I guess.... Syltgirl
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:29 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scossie
Don't agree with any of the, "step back in time", or "totally different" comments.

I reckon there's not much difference to the Supermarkets in The UK.
It anything, I would say that the deli, fresh meat, and fruit n veg sections have more choice in Australia.
Aus supermarkets are awfull in comparison to Tesco etc o.k. some of the fresh produce is on par but try to find some decent biscuits most of aus seems to be monopolised by at the most 3 manufacturers you cant beat digestive,plain milk and wholewheat,lincolns,rich tea,marie,gingernuts,jaffa cakes,jam dodgers,hob nobs,garabaldi,shortbread,boasters,just to name a few how many different biscuits can you name in oz? Arnotts !
biscuits was just an example but anyone who says Aus. supermarkets carry the same variety of goods must of left England in the 1960's.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:35 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jan
Aus supermarkets are awfull in comparison to Tesco etc o.k. some of the fresh produce is on par but try to find some decent biscuits most of aus seems to be monopolised by at the most 3 manufacturers you cant beat digestive,plain milk and wholewheat,lincolns,rich tea,marie,gingernuts,jaffa cakes,jam dodgers,hob nobs,garabaldi,shortbread,boasters,just to name a few how many different biscuits can you name in oz? Arnotts !
biscuits was just an example but anyone who says Aus. supermarkets carry the same variety of goods must of left England in the 1960's.
Ahh, but does Tesco sell ready to use flour?
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jan
Aus supermarkets are awfull in comparison to Tesco etc
Have you checked all the supermarkets in all the states of Australia to make that comparison ?

The ones we have in our area are as good as the UK ones, in the area of the UK we lived in.

Ours have a bigger range of biscuits than you have just listed.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Apr 23rd 2005 at 12:42 pm.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:51 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have you checked all the supermarkets in all the states of Australia to make that comparison ?

The ones we have in our area are as good as the UK ones, in the area of the UK we lived in.

Ours have a bigger range of biscuits than you have just listed.
As a matter of fact i have recently been to Brisbane,gold coast,surfers Melbourne geelong bendigo etc etc.Adelaide and of course here in Perth
so i think i got a good idea.ever heard the expression put up or shut up well i challenge you to name as many types of biscuits as sold in the U.K. YOU cant be serious if you think they compare!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:03 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I was quite disappointed recently to find that, after my mrs had baked a nice apple pie I could find no evaporated milk at any of the supermarkets in our local area to go with it
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jan
As a matter of fact i have recently been to Brisbane,gold coast,surfers Melbourne geelong bendigo etc etc.Adelaide and of course here in Perth
so i think i got a good idea.ever heard the expression put up or shut up well i challenge you to name as many types of biscuits as sold in the U.K. YOU cant be serious if you think they compare!
Have another biscuit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.