Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine or Gold?

Sunshine or Gold?

Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sunshine or Gold?

I am sure this has been asked before, but!

We are heading over to Australia Sept. and having a hard time in deciding where to go. We have been looking at both the Gold Coast and the Sunshine coast.
I need some input from you lot to help me decide as it is so difficult just to decide by what I read on the internet.

Is there really much difference between them?

Thanks in advance
Shabee
x
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sunshine or Gold?

Originally Posted by shabee

We are heading over to Australia Sept. and having a hard time in deciding where to go. We have been looking at both the Gold Coast and the Sunshine coast.
I need some input from you lot to help me decide as it is so difficult just to decide by what I read on the internet.

Thanks in advance
Shabee
x

Massive difference

Get over and hire a car and look for yourself. Only you know what feels right.

We did byron to noosa and all the suburbs in between. We finally found the right place for us, perfect beach, nice few shops, green and hilly etc etc

Then it hit us that we would miss the city too much and ended up lookingh at sydney, priced out of the market and ended up in melbourne and love it.

Weather perfect, beaches good, nightlife amazing, culture like no other city. Food like no other city, and the realisation that we arent going to the beach daily or weekly or monthly after a year here.

We like it and never thought melbourne was "the one" until we looked.

The best thing is, if there are no things tying you to an area like visa restrictions etc, then have a bloody good look and take your time,. rent for 6 months and fly out to other places to check out what you could be missing

All the best.

Alan

And for what its worth i like moooooollooooooolabahhhhhhhh the best, well buderim actually just at the top of the hill and on the sunshine coast was better for us than mcmansion gold coast.

Its also worth noting that we are going to live in a house in mcmansion land just outside melbourne city, so never say never! LOL
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
Massive difference

Get over and hire a car and look for yourself. Only you know what feels right.

We did byron to noosa and all the suburbs in between. We finally found the right place for us, perfect beach, nice few shops, green and hilly etc etc

Then it hit us that we would miss the city too much and ended up lookingh at sydney, priced out of the market and ended up in melbourne and love it.

Weather perfect, beaches good, nightlife amazing, culture like no other city. Food like no other city, and the realisation that we arent going to the beach daily or weekly or monthly after a year here.

We like it and never thought melbourne was "the one" until we looked.

The best thing is, if there are no things tying you to an area like visa restrictions etc, then have a bloody good look and take your time,. rent for 6 months and fly out to other places to check out what you could be missing

All the best.

Alan

And for what its worth i like moooooollooooooolabahhhhhhhh the best, well buderim actually just at the top of the hill and on the sunshine coast was better for us than mcmansion gold coast.

Its also worth noting that we are going to live in a house in mcmansion land just outside melbourne city, so never say never! LOL
OOOHHHHHHHHHHHH great post We fly out in just over 3 weeks and our first port of call is mooloolabah, from there - who knows where?!!!!

Lynn xx
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the4ofus
OOOHHHHHHHHHHHH great post We fly out in just over 3 weeks and our first port of call is mooloolabah, from there - who knows where?!!!!

Lynn xx

i like all around there

depends on how secluded you want your area to be

i need the uzz of a city to make me feel alive.

Sleepyville is not for me.

Horses for courses but i went to look, i tried nelson bay sleepyville and then we moved to a city of our choice after flying around and having a look instead of staying puit and moaning on for years about it.

Good luck and go there with an open mind and question everything you dreamed about when you get here and have a reality check but also give yourselves enough time to see if its not for you but with an escape plan b,c,d,e, just in case

All the best

al
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

spparkel is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr Anderson pretty much says it all.

It is entirely what kind of lifestyle etc you're looking for.

We have lived on the Gold Coast (GC) for the past four years and have really enjoyed it but we always planned to head to the Sunshine Coast (SC). SC is quieter and maybe harder to find work dependant what you do (others may well have different experience). If you can't get work on the GC you do have more transport options to get to Brisbane if you need to commute.

GC has everything as I'm aure you've seen from huge long beaches to theme parks and is also very close to the NSW border where there are some fantastic quiet beaches etc all the way down to Byron bay (about an hour away).

I think if we could have got work in the SC we may still have gone up that way.

I think SC still maintains a small town feel (I agree Mooloolaba is the place to be up there or Coolum Beach if you want REALLY quiet).

GC on the other hand has the rush of big city (Aus Style) but also has lots of quiet suburbs and Hinterland (country with hills and rainforest etc).

Have a look and good luck.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks so much for your replies.

I was thinking that the S/coast looks a lot quieter. I am used to living in a city where everything is on my doorstep.
My OH is a joiner and I hope that everyone always needs a joiner. No matter where we end up living.

I must admit I am being pulled towards the Gold coast. We will base ourselves in Brisbane for a couple of weeks and drive about, but with 2 kids missing school we cant be undecided for long. We will need to get them settled as soon as we can.

Shabee
x
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

spparkel is an unknown quantity at this point

You will still have everything you need on the SC. GC is just generally busier. I'm not too knowledgeable re joinery stuff but have you checked out licensing etc. They are very big on trades being licensed so if you haven't it may be worth a look at what you need to do before you get here.

Again somebody else may have more specific advice.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

jonnywonny is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we got a short term furnished rental then spent first few weeks traveling untill we found a place were we could get work & still afford a house that was good for beach & city think this is the way to go we got a furnished house from www.jimboombarelocations.com
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

I work part time on the gold coast and its great for a day out ,loads to do,good beaches and great surf, fantastic for familys but just a bit to busy for me to want to live there.
Sunshine Coast is very scenic with some nice beaches but other than the zoo there isnt much in the active way of life.Its for a quieter lifestyle,peaceful and laidback. Work is harder to secure up that way but building is booming and there is work for tradeys.
I strongly agree with the others that you should check out both places,everyones different and what might suit them ,might not suit you. We have relocated to both areas but find the Gold Coast much more popular ,especially south Gold Coast.
gary
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jonnywonny
hi we got a short term furnished rental then spent first few weeks traveling untill we found a place were we could get work & still afford a house that was good for beach & city think this is the way to go we got a furnished house from www.jimboombarelocations.com
Glad youve settled so well Jonathon ,i will send you a pm ive misplaced your number and you still owe me a beer! lol
gary
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Thanks in advance
Shabee
x
I think it really depends onyour proffesion and what you expect from life. It is so much more difficult for white collar workers to find work on the sunny coast than say a tradie for instance. Will your wife work? I am a tradie and work on the coast but my wife has to travel to Brissie as she is a account manager that deals with Architects practices. I suppose that what i am saying is that you have to take in to account your occupation when choosing. The cost of living on the sunny coast is very high but the scenery fantastic..Lots of things to whiegh up when choosing so do your research and good luck with wherever you choose to live
Raven
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

jeanmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by raven
The cost of living on the sunny coast is very high
Raven
Is the cost of living more expensive on SC than GC.

regards Markus
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Thanks in advance
Shabee
x
Hi Shabee

We will be heading for the GC when we arrive as my brother lives there, we plan to look around Buderium and Mountain creek areas, dont think Noosa is in my price range at this point (who knows 2.17 today )

minibelle
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am surprised to hear that it is more expensive on the sunshine coast, I was lead to believe it was the other way round, but there you go, I really know nothing. I guess I wont know till I am over there!

I am the wife, Lol and I am a beauty therapist although I really dont want to do that over there. I may do nail extensions at a push, but a part time job in a wee shop would do me fine.

Hi Mini, good to here from you, getting close for you hun! Do you think that your brother would put us up as well, Lol.

x
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

You get more rain on the SC
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...y-rainfall.cgi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.