Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast Update

Sunshine Coast Update

Old Dec 27th 2003, 4:45 am
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sunshine Coast Update

Hi Everyone

After reading James's excellent post re: 3 months in Sydney, I thought it was high time I presented a similar report on life up here on the Sunshine Coast. Similarly, I've hardly posted at all since arriving here, but I still look at ExPats a lot.

So by way of an update on us, we have been living here in Caloundra for almost 3 months and slowly things are coming together. At the time of my last post, I had just started work in Brisbane for the same company I was with in London. Still doing that. The travelling is a real pain, but I don't have to do it every day as I can work at home a lot of the time. Also they are opening a branch in Maroochydore in February and that is much closer to me. Our biggest problem has been trying to tie in Childcare with my wife, Siobhan getting a job. This has also worked out OK finally, and she starts work at Caloundra Private Hospital in January. The childcare situation here is truly appauling. If you need it, get your name down yesterday.

I have been hearing recently about a lot of people going back to the UK after about 3 months. As this time approaches for us, I think I can see why. It's about this time that it really hits you that you're not on holiday, and you really start to miss people and familiar things. Mentally, it's a tough time. I've had good days and bad days, but I don't think I would throw in the towel after 3 months, no matter how bad it getS. You have to give it longer

At this stage, I would say that financially I don't think we are going to be any better off here, but then we have never exactly been well off. We are struggling to survive on my salary - or at least we would be if we weren't dipping into our savings!!! If you have enough to buy a house outright then you are laughing, definately. We will have to be content with a fairly large deposit. But who's really coming here for money? There is a lifestyle here for the taking, that we could not have dreamed of having back in England. I go swimming in the sea almost everyday, we eat our meals out in the garden, there are dozens of fabulous places to visit, and I don't think I've had a cross word said to me by anyone in 3 months. It has been this that has sustained me during the difficult times. Most days, I wouldn't swap it for anything

It was me who said a while back that it's always the things that you didn;t do that give you cause for regret. I still stand by that. You may be giving up the life you had for a better one, or just a different one, but it doesn't matter. I was speaking to one of my relatives back home on the phone the other day and asked her how things were going. She told me she was "plodding along". If you are coming to Oz because you are convinced there must be something more than that out there, and you don't want to just"plod along", you're doing the right thing.

To everyone still waiting - good luck

Andy
Old Dec 27th 2003, 6:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Christmas might be a reason why you feel you are missing people. I would say one of the main reasons people return is that they miss people in the UK. The fact that you already recognise this and that your move might not be permanent is a good sign that you will make the right choices.

One thing to note is the childcare situation you are encountering is different from JayKay in Melbourne. It might be a case of the Sunshine coast expanding beyond its infrastructure capabilities.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 10:06 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Sunshine Coast Update

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan
Hi Everyone

After reading James's excellent post re: 3 months in Sydney, I thought it was high time I presented a similar report on life up here on the Sunshine Coast. Similarly, I've hardly posted at all since arriving here, but I still look at ExPats a lot.

So by way of an update on us, we have been living here in Caloundra for almost 3 months and slowly things are coming together. At the time of my last post, I had just started work in Brisbane for the same company I was with in London. Still doing that. The travelling is a real pain, but I don't have to do it every day as I can work at home a lot of the time. Also they are opening a branch in Maroochydore in February and that is much closer to me. Our biggest problem has been trying to tie in Childcare with my wife, Siobhan getting a job. This has also worked out OK finally, and she starts work at Caloundra Private Hospital in January. The childcare situation here is truly appauling. If you need it, get your name down yesterday.

I have been hearing recently about a lot of people going back to the UK after about 3 months. As this time approaches for us, I think I can see why. It's about this time that it really hits you that you're not on holiday, and you really start to miss people and familiar things. Mentally, it's a tough time. I've had good days and bad days, but I don't think I would throw in the towel after 3 months, no matter how bad it getS. You have to give it longer

At this stage, I would say that financially I don't think we are going to be any better off here, but then we have never exactly been well off. We are struggling to survive on my salary - or at least we would be if we weren't dipping into our savings!!! If you have enough to buy a house outright then you are laughing, definately. We will have to be content with a fairly large deposit. But who's really coming here for money? There is a lifestyle here for the taking, that we could not have dreamed of having back in England. I go swimming in the sea almost everyday, we eat our meals out in the garden, there are dozens of fabulous places to visit, and I don't think I've had a cross word said to me by anyone in 3 months. It has been this that has sustained me during the difficult times. Most days, I wouldn't swap it for anything

It was me who said a while back that it's always the things that you didn;t do that give you cause for regret. I still stand by that. You may be giving up the life you had for a better one, or just a different one, but it doesn't matter. I was speaking to one of my relatives back home on the phone the other day and asked her how things were going. She told me she was "plodding along". If you are coming to Oz because you are convinced there must be something more than that out there, and you don't want to just"plod along", you're doing the right thing.

To everyone still waiting - good luck

Andy
Andy

Good post !!!
There was a post a few weeks back about nightmares as the time gets closer. I know we are doing the right thing , but it doesn't stop this re-occuring nightmare about croc's chasing me up the stairs of my dream home (scary as this started well before the tree top guys !!!).
As for Christmas - I'm not a big fan so remind me of that if I ever even suggest I miss a UK Christmas.

Realism is the key, not to expect all plain sailing.

Good luck

Jill and Warren

Old Dec 27th 2003, 7:21 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi
nice to hear all is well with you!
keep us posted !!!

happy new year!!

sue