Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast- is 46k a year enough to live on?

Sunshine Coast- is 46k a year enough to live on?

Old Apr 15th 2005, 7:50 am
Badge

Default Re: Sunshine Coast- is 46k a year enough to live on?

Originally Posted by Ceri
well what you have been offered here is too low then

I haven't got a clue what most teachers are on here in Aus , but I was surprised by that low pay you've been quoted for a teaching job here.

you've answered your own question - you're taking a half cut in your wages with that job

cheers

OK, to expand, on what Ceri says, you earn what GBP36?

I would normally tell people to forget the real exchange rate, and you certainly can, literally, as 36 is almost 45. It's 1.25 in your case.

For your purchasing power to be the same as the UK, and I use the term in "how rich do I feel" not in pure economic terms, anything in Australia must not cost any more than 1.25x than it does in pounds. I'll think you'll find that as it does, everything will be more expensive for you in real terms, apart from maybe, eating out and some family orientated stuff.

This is ALL OTHER things being equal. ie, tax. It isn't of course...there is more to it.<sigh>

I earned GBP30, as I can achieve AUS70-100k over here, I am better off over here in many areas, or the same in most. However most people will be worse off in a lot of areas. That is why it is so important to subsidise the cost of your housing by having a low mortgage or no mortgage.

cheers

BM

Badge

Old Apr 15th 2005, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ceri
well what you have been offered here is too low then

I haven't got a clue what most teachers are on here in Aus , but I was surprised by that low pay you've been quoted for a teaching job here.

you've answered your own question - you're taking a half cut in your wages with that job

cheers
thanks for your help Ceri
Old Apr 15th 2005, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

hippychic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RichS
I believe, though I was half asleep when I heard it this morning that Amanda Vansotne is going to be looking for around 100,000 tradesmen to fill the huge skills shortage, specifically in SA/WA. This might be of interest to you.

On the cash front - we started in a small rented house in Sydney on about 50k. I have 2 young kids. I can tell you there wasn't much tread to spare. If you raise enough from a house sale to buy somewhere outright (not impossible in SA/WA) then obviously a large chunk of expense is gone.

I'd think of other things though - do you want a holiday each year. One week away in Qld or somewhere like that for 4 people will cost $5000 with flights, spends, food, drink, accom. do you need to return to the UK at all. $10,000 in flights alone. It all adds up.
Thanx for your reply, I don't know what wages he will earn in Aus, only going from N.Z wages, it may well be the same, we wont have a morgage so that should help.

Iwas worrying about having to come home in an emergency, I'm an only child, which is a bummer, as there is no one else should something happen.
Having said that we really want to emmigrate, get out of this country, I can only see it getting worse.

We're not really a high maintenance family, don't eat out much etc etc.......

My hubby is on good money here, but it's the life style, we want to move for the children give them a better chance.
Is anyone an electrician working in Aus?
Thanx for your help and advice.

Lesley.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Badge
OK, to expand, on what Ceri says, you earn what GBP36?

I would normally tell people to forget the real exchange rate, and you certainly can, literally, as 36 is almost 45. It's 1.25 in your case.

For your purchasing power to be the same as the UK, and I use the term in "how rich do I feel" not in pure economic terms, anything in Australia must not cost any more than 1.25x than it does in pounds. I'll think you'll find that as it does, everything will be more expensive for you in real terms, apart from maybe, eating out and some family orientated stuff.

This is ALL OTHER things being equal. ie, tax. It isn't of course...there is more to it.<sigh>

I earned GBP30, as I can achieve AUS70-100k over here, I am better off over here in many areas, or the same in most. However most people will be worse off in a lot of areas. That is why it is so important to subsidise the cost of your housing by having a low mortgage or no mortgage.

cheers

BM

Badge
thanks, we can achieve no mortgage but those big houses look so much nicer!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:26 am
JME

Juanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ali south
thanks, that salary is for a senior teacher at the university!
Hi Ali - 46K is exceptionally low for a University teaching post. I've been offered a lecturing post at a University and I'll be earning roughly the same as I'm on in the UK - plus I'm off to Adelaide where wages are slightly lower than the east coast. I saw a lecturing position (not senior lecturer) at Queensland Uni recently that was advertised with a starting salary of $67K. Sounds like the university post you have seen is on some kind of non-academic pay scale. A friend at ANU told me that junior lecturers could expect a starting salary of at least $59K. I'd have a look at comparable jobs being advertised by the other Aus universities - the last thing you want to do is to be earning very little for a stressful job when your colleagues are on substantially more.

Juanita
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juanita
Hi Ali - 46K is exceptionally low for a University teaching post. I've been offered a lecturing post at a University and I'll be earning roughly the same as I'm on in the UK - plus I'm off to Adelaide where wages are slightly lower than the east coast. I saw a lecturing position (not senior lecturer) at Queensland Uni recently that was advertised with a starting salary of $67K. Sounds like the university post you have seen is on some kind of non-academic pay scale. A friend at ANU told me that junior lecturers could expect a starting salary of at least $59K. I'd have a look at comparable jobs being advertised by the other Aus universities - the last thing you want to do is to be earning very little for a stressful job when your colleagues are on substantially more.

Juanita
Thank you, that explains a lot actually, the post is titled a 'disability services officer', however you have to have a four year teaching degree to get it, I am currently doing exactly the same thing here in London across over 200 London schools. Perhaps I will be over qualified for the job. The scary thing is that I do not want to turn up in Oz without a job. I might go for this one as a back up so that at least some money will be coming in while I am looking for a better job. Sad thing is that I am really excited about this post.
Thanks again Tara
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:40 am
ABCDiamond

Thank you, that explains a lot actually, the post is titled a 'disability services officer', however you have to have a four year teaching degree to get it, I am currently doing exactly the same thing here in London across over 200 London schools. Perhaps I will be over qualified for the job. The scary thing is that I do not want to turn up in Oz without a job. I might go for this one as a back up so that at least some money will be coming in while I am looking for a better job. Sad thing is that I am really excited about this post.
Thanks again Tara
If you are definately going to come here, then almost any job is worth having as a start point. You can always move up the ladder once you get started.

You never know, you might even like the job and decide to live within income, for the sake of enjoying work and life

You should be able to survive on that wage if you need to, without a mortgage.

Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:42 am
JME

Juanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant future

Thanks again Tara
Well it might be worth taking it then - because if its a job that you are suitably qualified for and you are fairly sure that you will enjoy it then thats better than taking a boring office job just because the money is better. You might be able to negotiate a better salary given your background in London. Plus it could well give you the experience to get a better paying job in a similar area (have you been interviewed for this job yet, been offered it or have you just seen the ad? - because obviously you could find out from the Uni what promotion prospects are etc.). The teenagers will just have to do without the latest trainers!
Good luck with your decision
Juanita
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juanita
Well it might be worth taking it then - because if its a job that you are suitably qualified for and you are fairly sure that you will enjoy it then thats better than taking a boring office job just because the money is better. You might be able to negotiate a better salary given your background in London. Plus it could well give you the experience to get a better paying job in a similar area (have you been interviewed for this job yet, been offered it or have you just seen the ad? - because obviously you could find out from the Uni what promotion prospects are etc.). The teenagers will just have to do without the latest trainers!
Good luck with your decision
Juanita
kids can live without the latest stuff, daughter is 16, she can get a job herself!
I am just applying for this job this weekend, it closes on Monday
Thanks again Tara
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:54 am
JME

kids can live without the latest stuff, daughter is 16, she can get a job herself!
I am just applying for this job this weekend, it closes on Monday
Thanks again Tara
Also, you might find that the Uni can offer some help with relocation - Aus universities tend to recruit worldwide, and even recruiting someone from another state can be v expensive. So if you do get an interview, it might be worth finding out if they can offer you any help (they might claim that they can't offer help because this is a non-academic post, but then given that they are asking for someone with a teaching degree this would be hardly fair).
good luck with the application!
Juanita
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

astonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura about

Hippy chic i think you would find that even an average electrician would have no problem finding a good job in most mainland capital cities. As far as New Zealand versus Australia is concerned you should visit both while you are out here. Your big cost is the UK airfare. Trans Tasman airfares are quite cheap especially if you are paying in pounds. However, you may need to ponder why australia is full of NZ ex pats but very few australians move to new zealand. Happy to answer any further questions.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 10:28 am
Where's the bbq?

wandrews will become famous soon enoughwandrews will become famous soon enough

What would people suggest as an ideal annual salary if they had to have, an oz mortgage

Lets say that you had to buy the house for the 450k with standard deposit and a family of 4. (2 kids under 6), etc, etc, etc Oh and only 1 working parent?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

hippychic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wandrews
What would people suggest as an ideal annual salary if they had to have, an oz mortgage

Lets say that you had to buy the house for the 450k with standard deposit and a family of 4. (2 kids under 6), etc, etc, etc Oh and only 1 working parent?

This is what I keep thinking