Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

suncream in oz & medicine on the flight

suncream in oz & medicine on the flight

Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future
Default suncream in oz & medicine on the flight

hello thx for looking

we are on our way to perth in april and want advice on these 2 things

1.is suncream cheaper in oz than over here save us bringing loads over.

2.if we bring kids medicines should we declare them when we get to the airport in perth or not bother

thx for your help and dare say there'll be more questions to come

karl
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:05 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: suncream in oz & medicine on the flight

Originally Posted by baggie
hello thx for looking

2.if we bring kids medicines should we declare them when we get to the airport in perth or not bother

karl
You will be using that much sunscreen in Perth, just get used to whatever the price is here. I think we pay about $15 for a litre of sunscreen, but I could be wrong.

I would declare the medicines.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

suncream is definetly cheaper over there, so I wouldn't bother taking any with you.

claire
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:26 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

hello thx for looking

karl

Sunscreen here is made for the Aussie sun ... a tad 'stronger'? Prices probably much of a muchness. Best to buy a pump pack here, I would've thought.

Personally, I don't believe in travelling with anything that's likely to leak: sunscreen, moisturiser, shampoo, conditioner, etc. It also weighs heavily in your baggage. Best to travel with just a trial size or sachet if you need some on the way; otherwise I always buy these things at my destination.

Kids' medicines: depends on how much and what you're talking about. If you have bulk prescription medicine, get a letter from your doctor explaining the reason for carrying so much. Chances are, it won't be requested but if it is, and you don't have one, you could be delayed/have unnecessary hassles. If you're only talking about a packet of kiddies' paracetamol, for example, then there's no need to declare it.

However, I find it best to declare something if you're travelling in on a foreign passport (non-Aussie), simply because the red channel (something to declare) is usually faster. Put a packet of Polos in your pocket and declare them! You'll whizz through in no time (provided that you don't look like a drug-carrying hippy or a country Asian who might be bringing in rice, fish and bok choy for their long-lost son's lunch)!!

Cheers,
PR

PS No disrespect intended to hippies or country Asians here - I just know what the Customs folks look for.

Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:57 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ProofReader

However, I find it best to declare something if you're travelling in on a foreign passport (non-Aussie), simply because the red channel (something to declare) is usually faster. Put a packet of Polos in your pocket and declare them! You'll whizz through in no time
Not if you're coming into Adelaide!

I declared sweets (lollies) and my medication for blood pressure each time (three trips over before I finally emigrated) and the queue was always long and branching off in all directions.

Hopefully it will be better when they finish upgrading the airport though as the immigration hall is currently pretty small.

Elaine M
Old Feb 18th 2005, 11:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You'll whizz through in no time (provided that you don't look like a drug-carrying hippy or a country Asian who might be bringing in rice, fish and bok choy for their long-lost son's lunch)!!

Cheers,
PR

PS No disrespect intended to hippies or country Asians here - I just know what the Customs folks look for.

The guy in front of me when I entered on my migration flight was Asian, with a very large suitcase which they opened to inspect.....and it was FULL of uncooked pizza. I kid you not.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 11:47 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The guy in front of me when I entered on my migration flight was Asian, with a very large suitcase which they opened to inspect.....and it was FULL of uncooked pizza. I kid you not.

Whereas yours was full of "Old speckled hen"
Old Feb 19th 2005, 1:10 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bordy
Whereas yours was full of "Old speckled hen"
... and pickled onion Monster Munch, of course!

Old Feb 19th 2005, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Elaine M
Not if you're coming into Adelaide!

I declared sweets (lollies) and my medication for blood pressure each time (three trips over before I finally emigrated) and the queue was always long and branching off in all directions.

Hopefully it will be better when they finish upgrading the airport though as the immigration hall is currently pretty small.

Elaine M

Not if you are coming into Perth either . After seeing the queues first time around for the 'red' channel (something to declare) we now make sure we have absolutely nothing that needs declaring so that we can whizz through the green channel. Because customs are so strict they do ask to see every bit of food etc so everyone ends up being sent through the red channel. On the other hand if you have nothing for them to check out you can get through much quicker.

Sam
Old Feb 19th 2005, 1:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

... and pickled onion Monster Munch, of course!

Dry Blackthorn Cider and Hula Hoops actually, but you're on the right lines!!!
Old Feb 19th 2005, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

thanks for the advice

i'll send the missus and kids through the nothing to declare with the clothes and stuff and i'll go through the red channel with my suitcase full of marmite,strongbow,paxo,english chocolate and monster munch.which are for my poorly pom relative who really misses them
Old Feb 19th 2005, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

hello thx for looking

karl

Never heard of declaring medicine before. H\ave travelled most of the world except Australia, and never been asked.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Never heard of declaring medicine before. H\ave travelled most of the world except Australia, and never been asked.
Australian Customs do state that All drugs and medicines, are to be declared; "Medicines include prescribed medications, non- prescription, complementary, alternative, herbal and traditional medicines; vitamins and mineral preparations; and nutritional and dietary supplements."

You also have to be careful bringing them into the UK aswell "If you are within the permitted quantities or have a licence there is no need to declare your medicines to UK Customs. www.hmce.gov.uk/
So you need to check what the permitted quantities are, or declare them to bew on the safe side.

Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:54 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Never heard of declaring medicine before. Have travelled most of the world except Australia
Are you kidding?!?!?!?!??!!? :scared:

Edit : in regards the original question, sunscreen here (Brisbane) is around $11-$12 for a 1 litre pump pack.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 19th 2005 at 10:08 am. Reason: Add bit about the sunscreen
Old Feb 19th 2005, 12:24 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

hello thx for looking

karl
One other small point about taking medicines with you-keep it all in the original packets/boxes - I've never bothered to declare any standard stuff-calpol,medised,neurophen etc but I know someone who took thier prescription stuff and took it out of boxes to save space and were chosen for a bag search and had a f*****g nightmare trying to explain all the blister packs of drugs in thier bag...... :scared: