Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mossie bites-Aaargghhh!!

Mossie bites-Aaargghhh!!

Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:34 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Mossie bites-Aaargghhh!!

Hi Guys,
Does anyone have an effective treatment for mossie bites? (prevention & cure) they are driving me nuts!!! so itchy!!
Our first two weeks here & i didnt have one mossie bite,now the little buggers are making up for lost time!!
The other night we all went out biking,i stupidly had a strappy vest top on & the mossies had a party on my skin !!
Last count hubby said i had 19 bites on my back, my butt has more lumps than is usually there :scared: (honestly!!)

I brought antihistamine tablets with me & have been taking them the last few days hopefully to control the itch & i am constantly covering myself with repellent but the buggers are still biting-help!!

Some people have told me that eventually you build up an immunity to them after a while-is this true? i hope so! i can cope with a few every so often.
I will also make sure i am covered from head to toe the next time we go biking-probably with cling film!!!!!

Donna.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Mossie bites-Aaargghhh!!

Originally Posted by madsad
Some people have told me that eventually you build up an immunity to them after a while-is this true? .
This does seem to happen to most people. When I first moved to QLD, I was the main target in my family, for them, but now, just the odd bite and not nearly as big as they first were.

I use the "Stop Itch Plus" cream when needed, which seems to work pretty fast for me. I also take vitamin B tablets every day.

Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough

I think I am becoming less prone to them and when bitten they ceratinly don't itch as much - the sandflies however are still b*stards.

Legend has it that eating lots of vegemite helps- apparantly its the vitamin B.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,
Does anyone have an effective treatment for mossie bites? (prevention & cure) they are driving me nuts!!! so itchy!!
Our first two weeks here & i didnt have one mossie bite,now the little buggers are making up for lost time!!
The other night we all went out biking,i stupidly had a strappy vest top on & the mossies had a party on my skin !!
Last count hubby said i had 19 bites on my back, my butt has more lumps than is usually there :scared: (honestly!!)

I brought antihistamine tablets with me & have been taking them the last few days hopefully to control the itch & i am constantly covering myself with repellent but the buggers are still biting-help!!

Some people have told me that eventually you build up an immunity to them after a while-is this true? i hope so! i can cope with a few every so often.
I will also make sure i am covered from head to toe the next time we go biking-probably with cling film!!!!!

Donna.
Donna, do you take Vitamin B tablets? If not you should try it. Apparently they don't like your sweat after you've had these tablets! Takes about 3 weeks to get into your system (plus the tabs are good for your health all round)!
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Mossie bites-Aaargghhh!!

Hi Guys,

Donna.
Hi Donna , Good to hear from you , hope everything is going well apart from the mozzies of course. I started taking vit B for 2 weeks before we moved because I react REALLY badly to the bites and I haven't been bitten once. I still take it every day . I also use AVON - SKIN SO SOFT - WOODLAND FRESH DRY OIL SPRAY because we used that back in Scotland for the midges and that seems to work too.
My 6 year old gets bitten badly too and we have used SOOV GEL from the chemist for the itch (thanks Nikki !) , it works well because it has lignocaine in it (local anaesthetic). Best if it's straight out the fridge because it's nice and cool.
Since I started spraying the wee one with the spray she has not been bitten.
If you can't get it near you and you want some to try let me know and I'll send you some up.
Hope this helps ,
All the best , Tass. x
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Yeh, the Avon spray works a treat (but I keep forgetting to put it on).

Our son kept getting bit in the school yard and I had to spray him everyday to start off with, now he is fine.

But you right, bloody sand flies

Mandy
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:03 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys!!

I take vitamin B6 50mg daily,not the same as plain vit B though is it?

I will get some Stop Itch Plus cream today & SOOV GEL (Thanks Tass!,we,re all doing really well & enjoying our new life! im sure i will be able to get the Soov gel as i got some Soov burn spray recently.) & some vit B,the chemist will be rubbing their hands today when they get my list!,son has the doctors after school today to get a repeat prescription for his medication,its going to cost me a bloody fortune !

Donna.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:16 am
rudo1ph

Tiger Balm!! It's a "cure-all" potion! It doesn't stop the mozzies from biting but it takes the itch away really well. Mind you, it doesn't half pong!!!

Also good for headaches, stomach aches and many other ailments.......apparently!!!

Rudi

Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:33 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

Yes, I have heard vitB is very useful too, also Avon sell a product that is supposedly very good. Not sure if its available over here though.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:34 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks Guys!!

I take vitamin B6 50mg daily,not the same as plain vit B though is it?
I have the Mega B tablets which have 50mg B1, 30mg B2 and 50mg B6, amongst others.

Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:00 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Donna.
Don't believe all that you are told. Unless it takes longer than 13 years to build up this immunity, I can tell you that is not true. From someone who has a bad reaction to the b8ggers.

when in they are in the masses ( I mean masses, at certain creeks , in the bush etc at night , and not a few in your own backyard), buzzing in your ears, biting you through your hair , even biting through your clothing like Jeans - ie places where they decend in their absolute millions at dusk . I have found only bushmans will stop them biting, lesser sprays and creams, and vitamins etc etc don't tend to the job the same for when they are in their millions and aggressive. Cream bushman's is best, and not the spray Bushman's , which doesn't last as long on your skin as the cream ( watch plastic with it though, it melts some plastics).

simple cure for itching - stop scratching them (obviously, harder said than done) , warm bath, and some camomile moisturising cream.

cheers

cheers
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:05 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i think i've built up a kind of immunity over teh last 4 years. i hardly get bitten anymore, the odd one or two here and there. compare that to waking up with 60 bites one morning (all around my feet) and getting massacred up in carins from sitting outside for about 5 minutes at dusk.

i don't use spray anymore, nor do i use repllent overnight in my room, which i HAD to use before. and i live right on the river too!

Originally Posted by Ceri
Don't believe all that you are told. Unless it takes longer than 13 years to build up this immunity, I can tell you that is not true. From someone who has a bad reaction to the b8ggers.

when in they are in the masses ( I mean masses, at certain creeks , in the bush etc at night , and not a few in your own backyard), buzzing in your ears, biting you through your hair , even biting through your clothing like Jeans - ie places where they decend in their absolute millions at dusk . I have found only bushmans will stop them biting, lesser sprays and creams, and vitamins etc etc don't tend to the job the same for when they are in their millions and aggressive. Cream bushman's is best, and not the spray Bushman's , which doesn't last as long on your skin as the cream ( watch plastic with it though, it melts some plastics).

simple cure for itching - stop scratching them (obviously, harder said than done) , warm bath, and some camomile moisturising cream.

cheers

cheers
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:11 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
Tiger Balm!! It's a "cure-all" potion! It doesn't stop the mozzies from biting but it takes the itch away really well.
I really suffer at the hands of mozzies, and found the most effective relief from the itchiness (by quite a margin) was Tiger Balm. SouthEast Asians swear by the stuff for almost everything, but in this instance it really does work.

As far as not getting bitten in the first place, I use DEET. There is no substitute in my opinion, though it's not much good for the skin and clothes
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ceri
For many people it is actually correct, but obviously we are not all the same, and there will always be some people who will be a ready tasty meal for the mossies for ever.

However, in areas where they in enmasse, as you have mentioned, maybe even those of us with some built up resistance may get well and truly bitten.

In my experience, and the same with my daughter, we used to come up in very large lumps for each bite, but after about 6 months I think, the bites became less and less, and even then the lumps were smaller and less irritable. These days, after 2 years here, we hardy seem to notice them, and we rarely use repellant spray unless in a rainforest environment

Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

wortho is an unknown quantity at this point

Donna,
Check out this link on the ExplorOz forum regarding products & recipes to reduce insect bites http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/View.asp?ForumQID=19573
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.