Reload this Page >

Sun Bathing Question

Sun Bathing Question

Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Berena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sun Bathing Question

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Peter did the programme you saw on TV say anything about high factor sunscreen reducing or preventing the uptake of vitamin D?

Here in Dubai (45c yesterday) we always sit in the shade never in the sun. But do walk along the beach with high factor sun screen on between 9:00 - 11:00am only. Over time this brings out all my freckles which makes me look as though I have a suntan from a distance. This does also produce a slight tan so we don't look whiter than white.

If you notice there are now a very high proportion of white cosmetics available - so it's fashionable to be white!

Maggie

Maggie - you should be fine as you sound as though you expose yourself carefully - if you know what I mean! If you get enough sun for a little bit of tan then your skin manufactures enough vitamin D. I guess high factor creams will reduce vitamin D manufacture but not enough to produce a deficiency.

Peter
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:27 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Berena
Maggie - you should be fine as you sound as though you expose yourself carefully - if you know what I mean! If you get enough sun for a little bit of tan then your skin manufactures enough vitamin D. I guess high factor creams will reduce vitamin D manufacture but not enough to produce a deficiency.

Peter
Actually, lots of Australians are D defficient due to wearing sunscreen all year round, and working in offices. They go home after the sun's gone down and basically never see the sun.

It's recommended you get ten minutes a day without sunscreen every day to give yourself enough Vit D.

I wouldn't recommend sunbathing in Australia, unless you wish to risk sun cancer. Just a trip to the Gold Coast to check out the older community's skin state would put you off for life.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Damn fine question I reckon, but then I'm a beach bum at heart! I hate lying flat on the beach anyway so I always dig out an "arm chair" in the sand. If you dig it shallow you can make a sunbed, if you dig it deep you make a seat. More work if you want to face a low sun but not too much. Easy.