Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sullivans...and other Aussie soaps

The Sullivans...and other Aussie soaps

Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Sortland street was a new zealand based one wasnt it. I remember when my first son was born i could feed him and sit down to watch home and away, neighbours, shorland street and a country practice all before the next feed. Now please dont ask me about taping the flying doctors every morning:scared:

Lynn
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:11 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynnj
Sortland street was a new zealand based one wasnt it. I remember when my first son was born i could feed him and sit down to watch home and away, neighbours, shorland street and a country practice all before the next feed. Now please dont ask me about taping the flying doctors every morning:scared:

Lynn

new zealand? sorry, my apologies!!

lynn I went through pretty much the same routine when I had my first...!! thing is, when I had the twins we had sky, so I spent the day between feeds watching reality tv (rpa) baby er and the baby progs on discovery!

sue
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:00 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
water rats - fab prog, a bit of CSI, the Bill and NYPD blue rolled into one!! read somewhere they are making another series of water rats, dunno if it will be shown in uk
They stopped making Water Rats a couple of years ago because of the burgeoning cost of making each episode. I saw the last series. Did you read that they are going to revive the program? I'll be pleased if they do because I too enjoyed it.

TennisOz

Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Sue

I stumbled across one of those birth story programmes on discover health or whatever its called, i managed to watch for about 5 mins before the memories of the pain came flooding back and i had to move on for my own sanity, why is it when you are pregnant you cant watch anything to do with babies or birth, or is it just me, i just watched doctors and bawled my eyes out, the kids couldnt figure out what my problem was.

Ah well back to packing boxes.

Lynn
Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Sullivans...and other Aussie soaps

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
The Castle! We have that on DVD, were subjected to it when we visited Adeliade earlier this year and decided to buy a copy when we got home. Most of our friends found it hilarious but a couple of them just didn't get it.

Great film "You have friend come to my house, I have friend too, he come to your house and blow you to ****ing sky!"

I haven't seen The Castle is it worth watching?
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:22 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Pylon

and giving you cancer

Lynn
Lynn, there is something in that theory. My friend's dog just died of lymphoma as did the other 2 dogs in that house. Everyday theywalked down their unsealed road past the electricity station and there's pylons everywhere where she lives in Oz. The neighbour's cattle dog wnet the same way :-(
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pylon

Originally posted by mumomonty
Lynn, there is something in that theory. My friend's dog just died of lymphoma as did the other 2 dogs in that house. Everyday theywalked down their unsealed road past the electricity station and there's pylons everywhere where she lives in Oz. The neighbour's cattle dog wnet the same way :-(
How did we get from the Sullivans(some of us teenaged lads fell in love with the daughter mmmmmmm)to Lymphatic cancer
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:33 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Talking from that to this!

Dunno but that's what the soaps are like (he he)
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:58 pm
tennisoz

Default Re: The Sullivans...and other Aussie soaps

Originally posted by tinaj
I haven't seen The Castle is it worth watching?
Yep, yep, yep

Try these links:

http://movieweb.com/movie/thecastle/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheCastle-1087272/

TennisOz

Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:34 pm
tennisoz

"It's just the vibe of the thing."

LOL

Bloody brilliant.
Son: What's the letter say?

Father: It says we're being compulsorily acquired.

Son: What does that mean?

Father: It means we're being compulsorily acquired.

(both none the wiser)

TennisOz

Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:41 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Presents on returning from holiday - the elephant (with it's trunk up) "coz that's good luck, when it's trunk's up?"

"Well, this is going straight to the Pool Room!"
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:15 pm
tennisoz

Presents on returning from holiday - the elephant (with it's trunk up) "coz that's good luck, when it's trunk's up?"

"Well, this is going straight to the Pool Room!"
Yeah : the Pool Room where all the trophies and notable items go - just remembered.

TennisOz

Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:22 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

some more from the castle

Quotes from The Castle:
Darryl Kerrigan: This is going straight to the pool room.

Farouk: Here the planes fly over, they drop prices. Back in Lebanon when the planes fly over they drop bombs. I like these planes better.

Dale Kerrigan: Dad said it was funny how one day you're not famous, and the next day you are. Famous. And then you're not again.

Wayne Kerrigan: How's Mum?
Dale Kerrigan: Good.
Wayne Kerrigan: How's Dad?
Wayne Kerrigan: How's Trace?
Wayne Kerrigan: How are you?
Wayne Kerrigan: How's Steve?
Dale Kerrigan: He's alright.
Wayne Kerrigan: Good
Old Oct 29th 2003, 11:35 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by seang
some more from the castle

Quotes from The Castle:
Darryl Kerrigan: This is going straight to the pool room.

Farouk: Here the planes fly over, they drop prices. Back in Lebanon when the planes fly over they drop bombs. I like these planes better.

Dale Kerrigan: Dad said it was funny how one day you're not famous, and the next day you are. Famous. And then you're not again.

Wayne Kerrigan: How's Mum?
Wayne Kerrigan: How's Dad?
Wayne Kerrigan: How's Trace?
Wayne Kerrigan: How are you?
Wayne Kerrigan: How's Steve?
Dale Kerrigan: He's alright.
Wayne Kerrigan: Good
Some 'rippers' there. I have a friend back in Bendigo, Victoria who I'm sure knows the whole script off by heart. Ironically his name is Daryl too. You just have to say pool room, jousting sticks, the lawyer friend etc and off he goes. The film just seemed to strike the right chord for so many Aussies. Interestingly it was released in the States (successfully) but they had to overdub certain words like rissoles and the Torana.

My friend also told me that The Castle has been the subject of PhD dissertations and has been on school syllabii etc as a serious topic of debate - what the message(s) are, etc, etc.

I've really enjoyed this trip down memory lane. Nostalgia aint what it used to be

TennisOz

Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:44 pm
tennisoz

the flying doctors

Lynn
http://members.fortunecity.com/flyingdocs/

TennisOz