Reload this Page >

taking car from state to state

taking car from state to state

Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking car from state to state

hi
if i bought a car in vic,then 6 months down the line lived in nsw taking car, what are the road tax/mot implications,

thanks
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:33 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: taking car from state to state

Originally posted by sashadan
hi
if i bought a car in vic,then 6 months down the line lived in nsw taking car, what are the road tax/mot implications,

thanks
You'll have to re-register when the existing rego runs out. You'd also need new plates, and possibly stamp duty. No biggie about re-registering, as you'd need a new rego, anyway. Check out all the facts:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by downunderpom
You'll have to re-register when the existing rego runs out. You'd also need new plates, and possibly stamp duty. No biggie about re-registering, as you'd need a new rego, anyway. Check out all the facts:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/

thanks
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:45 am
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually i think you've only got 3 months to re-register from when you move interstate but unless you get pulled over for something it's not going to come up...
It's certainly only 3 months grace to change your vic drivers licence to a nsw one.

Originally posted by sashadan
thanks

Last edited by NoodleSYD; Oct 31st 2003 at 6:48 am.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

that's right - it is only a small window to re-register the vehicle - 3 months is probably about right (I did it from SA to Vic). New plates cost about $100 (that's on top of the rego of course), and by law you should return the old plates back to the state you left (so they don't fall into the wrong hands and get put on stolen vehicles, etc)
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:27 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
that's right - it is only a small window to re-register the vehicle - 3 months is probably about right (I did it from SA to Vic). New plates cost about $100 (that's on top of the rego of course), and by law you should return the old plates back to the state you left (so they don't fall into the wrong hands and get put on stolen vehicles, etc)
Guess my neighbour downstairs at the last place was breaking the law, then - he was riding around on SA plates for the year that we lived there....

I assumed that it was okay to do so. Guess I should remind myself more often that assumption is the mother of all cock-ups!!