Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suitcases - hard or soft

Suitcases - hard or soft

Old May 21st 2009, 10:40 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suitcases - hard or soft

Hopefully emigrating in Aug and starting to look for suitcases, anyones thoughts on type? We probably would use them again for other travel.

We have 4 young kids if that makes any difference

Also, may look on ebay.

thanks for any help,
Cooler
Old May 21st 2009, 11:32 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suitcases - hard or soft

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Hopefully emigrating in Aug and starting to look for suitcases, anyones thoughts on type? We probably would use them again for other travel.

Also, may look on ebay.

thanks for any help,
Cooler
Whatever you have really. And if you need more I would suggest you use the lightest ones that you can lay your hands on. We're planning to use a couple of those huge (but cheap) refugee bags for less valuable stuff like blankets, warm clothing and other non breakables. They weigh just about nothing. I'm not sure if or where you can get them in the UK. My dad brought some over for me from Cape Town. They'll also make great storage bags afterwards.

You'll probably find some in a pound shop or your local China Town.

Last edited by paulry; May 21st 2009 at 11:41 am.
Old May 21st 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

We bought some trolly bags from ebay that only weigh abour 2 kilos each. Much less than suitcases that are around 5-6 kilos.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler

Also, may look on ebay.

thanks for any help,
Cooler
don't go for the hard suitcases, they weigh alot more, we got couple good ones & couple cheap ones from argos.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Hard ones can crack/break when dropped etc on a hard surface, soft ones can be cut with a knife/easily get into by baddies............but soft weighs more
Old May 21st 2009, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer hard cases but they do tend to be heavier than soft cases. Whatever you choose make sure it has 4 wheels...much easier to wheel than the 2 wheel ones.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

We travelled to Oz last week with hard cases and won't be using them again!

One has cracked, one has a stand broken off and now has 2 screws poking out of it, (not sure how to get rid of them as they are in the lining of the case and poking out through by about an inch) 2 are dented and another has a split in it.

Will be buying some holdall ones with wheels for the next time we travel.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by seayork2002
Hard ones can crack/break when dropped etc on a hard surface, soft ones can be cut with a knife/easily get into by baddies............but soft weighs more
I have used the same hard cases for the past 15 years, with out any issues. One of my cases was used each week on 2 - 3 flights for 5 years without any issue. The key to a hard case is the money you pay. When I bought my cases they were about 300 pounds each at the time. A lot of money but they have lasted.

My father - in law uses cheap cases (20 pound ones) and throws them away whenever they are broken.

Just depends what you want.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:52 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, think it will be cheap soft ones with four wheels.

Great advice, cheers,
Cooler
Old May 21st 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

If there are a few of you, deffo go for the ones with four wheels, they are soo much easier to drag around - even the kids can pull/push them, which isnt always the case with the two wheel ones which tend to fall over and arent always that easy to manoeuver (did I spell that right, it looks weird!)
Old May 21st 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived 4 months ago via America so had large luggage allowance. We had 2 hard cases and 2 trolley cases and planned to just use them. When it came to it though, we had loads more to pack than we planned (due to spending christmas with parents and them buying the kids shitloads of stuff!) so we had to use Mum's wheely holdalls too.

So, 8 bags in total from Manchester to Heathrow to LA (3 nights stop) to Aukland to Brisbane.

The best of the lot were the large wheeled holdall bags. Light as a feather, packed absolutely loads into them. Easy to carry or wheel. Clothes packed in them arrived relatively crease free and the gifts packed (in the middle of the clothes) were all fine.

OH and I both agreed we would never bother with cases in the future, just use the holdall bags. Also, when not being used they go fairly flat so are easy to store and they are much cheaper than buying cases. Another point is that they can be used for small trips, the kids staying at friends or school camps etc, when you would not really want to use a proper suit case.

Hope this helps,
Ren xx
Old May 23rd 2009, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

All depends on your baggae allowance but as you will probabaly use it all, I;d recommend one hard case for the breakable stuff and vlauable stuff, and soft for everything else.

Hard always weigh more (natural as they are thick plastic) but poretect far better.

We ended up with about 12 bags on three trolleys for a family of 5, with three kids under 5 so they were not pushing any trollies.

But as it's just at one end and the other you need to get them, you can survive.

Typical hard case weighs between 5-7 kg. Typical soft bag weighs between 1-2kg. Big difference....
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:10 am
Capt Hilts

Thanks for the extra posts, will have a look at holdalls.

If anyone perusing this thread, did you take your golf clubs and bags as well? OH and I both have bags and clubs. I've not found hard cases in AG or elswhere yet.

Cheers,
Cooler
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:37 am
Capt Hilts

Old thread started by me but I thought I'd update from the experience.

Thanks to all the responses on this thread as it made us go for soft sports bags which were perfect. They weighed a kilo and the suitcases we had (handle and wheels) were 5kgs. As we we were bringing two sets of golf clubs, buggy and travel cot as well, it made it easier. We had to do an internal flight with Virgin Blue so had to keep the excess down so the light bags worked. Should have realised that golf bags were counted as excess at Mel though Let us off so that saved $500.

Thanks,
Cooler
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I bought 3 jazzibags holdalls with pullout handle and 2 wheels - each weighed 2kgs and each easily fit 20kg of stuff. Very easy to maneuver (single parent on long haul flight) and they only cost gbp20 each!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.