Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on which bank to use.

Suggestions on which bank to use.

Old Dec 17th 2004, 8:01 am
IainClarke

Default Suggestions on which bank to use.

We are moving to Perth in Feb next year, and I am looking to setup a bank account before arriving.

Can anyone suggest a decent bank?

Also, can I setup the account before arriving?

Any help would be appreciated.

Iain.

Old Dec 17th 2004, 8:06 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions on which bank to use.

Originally Posted by IainClarke
We are moving to Perth in Feb next year, and I am looking to setup a bank account before arriving.

Iain.
hi guys welcome aboard.

Commonwealth Bank do a Migrant account you can set up over here and then use in Oz.

Also I think HSBC do one as well,

Shane
Old Dec 17th 2004, 8:48 am
IainClarke

Thanks very much.

HSBC sounds like a go-er. I am currently with First Direct in the UK (who are a part of the HSBC group) - maybe this will help my credit rating upon landing in the promised land.

Old Dec 17th 2004, 9:55 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Iain,

I use HSBC in the UK, but it's been so much easier setting up with ANZ and transferring cash from the UK to Oz. HSBC seemed like way too much paperwork and hassle.

With ANZ, you download the form from their site, post it off, they send back your account details then you go to your UK branch (HSBC) and send the money over.

When you get to Oz, all you need is to go into a branch within six weeks of arriving and they'll sort your cards etc out. After six weeks you need to pass the 100 points test.

Westpac do a similar thing online.

All the best,

Paul.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 10:37 am
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by IainClarke

Iain.
Iain,

Check out this thread that I started a couple of weeks ago, it should help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269642

Stu
Old Dec 17th 2004, 10:43 am
ABCDiamond

Maybe be worth looking at this thread too:
titled: "Which bank do the people here in OZ bank with?"
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1873422

Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

If you decide to set up with HSBC make sure you arrange it now. I called their international branch last week and they said with only 4 weeks left before we go it was impossible to set up an account in that time- he mentioned they have either 12 hundred or 12 thousand- can't remember which- waiting to be set up. He did say that we could take bank draft with us then walk in off the street in Perth and set up an account easily there and then- then arrange for transferral of funds.
Old Dec 17th 2004, 11:53 am
IainClarke

Moving to Perth seems a very daunting task, especially when it has to happen in eight weeks!

This is the first time I have used this site, and with the help I am receiving this is going to be easier than I thought.

Thanks for all your help on this.