Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne

Suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne

Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I would suggest not buying until you're settled. It would be a very expensive mistake to buy somewhere and discover after 12 months you don't like it.
totally agree, we did this, cost a fortune to sell and move
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:08 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne

Originally Posted by Steve2009
It's unlikely that the increase in price (if any / if not a decrease) will weigh heavily enough to influence that decision.
Disagree.

In my area 2.5 years ago $550,000 would have bought a great new house. Now you need $800,000 for the same house.

This has prevented people we know personally from buying in our area which they love, instead they have had to buy somewhere a lot further out of Melbourne.

BB
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:21 am
Just Joined

crouchingpeeky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions.

I agree to buy somewhere straight away would be foolish imo. I was more interested in finding out what would be affordable for us, what areas that would get us and how long a commute it would be.

I have to say looking at a few properties in Patterson Lakes, they are gorgeous and according to Google Maps only a 45 minute drive into the City (any more accurate measures than Google Maps would be helpful!!).
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:53 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Disagree.

In my area 2.5 years ago $550,000 would have bought a great new house. Now you need $800,000 for the same house.

This has prevented people we know personally from buying in our area which they love, instead they have had to buy somewhere a lot further out of Melbourne.

BB
I'm off to buy a tent to bring with me,know any good sites in the CBD
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

nmparsons is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived in Sydney in August and decided to look for a house in the Inner West - Leichhardt, Lilyfield, Annandale, Haberfield, Stanmore are all good suburbs to start off with. But 700K won't get you much at the moment - so try renting for a while.
The word on the street is that property prices are going to take a hit soonish. We'll wait and see.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nmparsons
The word on the street is that property prices are going to take a hit soonish.
Obviously no-one has told you "its different here", better buy quick or you'll be priced out of the market
Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:09 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
I live in Balmain now, spent a few years in the Shire but found it to quiet for me as I don't have kids.
Yep, I can understand that. Its a nice family area but not much else to do. It just doesn't do it for me but I can not think of an objective reason.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:24 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Yep, I can understand that. Its a nice family area but not much else to do. It just doesn't do it for me but I can not think of an objective reason.
I live in the shire and it depends where you live, the cronulla area is lovely
loads to do and the national park is on your doorstep, the beach, the river, whale watching, lots of festivals such as Jazz and shiraz and nice restaurants.

where in the shire were you paddyo?

we don't have children either

house prices are rising fast here too
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:22 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
loads to do and the national park is on your doorstep, the beach, the river, whale watching, lots of festivals such as Jazz and shiraz and nice restaurants.

I wasn't in the Shire, thats what I am saying, it doesn't appeal to me but I can't quantify it. I have been driving through there quite a lot recently and it does nothing for me.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by asher

I lived in Bonnet Bay (about 15 minutes walk to Jannali station). Lovely area with beautiful views but evening wise everything was shut by the time I have got home from work, relaxed a bit then was ready to go out.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 1:06 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

We live in Sutherland Shire and love it, but we have two small children and it is a lovely area to raise kids. I can see that if we didn't have children it may be a little on the quiet side. Having said that, it depends on the lifestyle you want. There are some beautiful places for bushwalking in the Royal National Park, and also some lovely quiet beaches, plus it is only a short hop down to the Illawara region which is lovely too.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:13 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
We live in Sutherland Shire and love it, but we have two small children and it is a lovely area to raise kids. I can see that if we didn't have children it may be a little on the quiet side. Having said that, it depends on the lifestyle you want. There are some beautiful places for bushwalking in the Royal National Park, and also some lovely quiet beaches, plus it is only a short hop down to the Illawara region which is lovely too.
Yes, must admit I am very tempted by the Illawarra, mainly from Stanwell Park down to as far as Bulli.
Train line, good road options and nice beachside towns.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:22 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paddyo
Yes, must admit I am very tempted by the Illawarra, mainly from Stanwell Park down to as far as Bulli.
Train line, good road options and nice beachside towns.
Yes, had our children not been so small, and had my husbands work been more usual hours (he works up to 9pm some nights and also at weekends and six/seven day weeks) we would have more seriously looked at that area to buy. We are very happy where we are now because we have the best of both worlds, can be in Wollongong in about 30 mins max, and in Sydney CBD in about 50 mins, but we have said that once we are looking at high school for our eldest (years in the future!), we may consider making a move down there depending on what the schools are like.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 2:00 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
Yes, had our children not been so small, and had my husbands work been more usual hours (he works up to 9pm some nights and also at weekends and six/seven day weeks) we would have more seriously looked at that area to buy. We are very happy where we are now because we have the best of both worlds, can be in Wollongong in about 30 mins max, and in Sydney CBD in about 50 mins, but we have said that once we are looking at high school for our eldest (years in the future!), we may consider making a move down there depending on what the schools are like.
Well I am fortunate in that I am able to work from home and would be taking the train if need to commute into work. My office is in Potts Point so a direct train to Kings Cross from the southern beach towns is very suitable.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by crouchingpeeky
Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions.

I agree to buy somewhere straight away would be foolish imo. I was more interested in finding out what would be affordable for us, what areas that would get us and how long a commute it would be.

I have to say looking at a few properties in Patterson Lakes, they are gorgeous and according to Google Maps only a 45 minute drive into the City (any more accurate measures than Google Maps would be helpful!!).
Patterson Lakes is really nice, my brother in law has lived there for 13 years. We live in seaford which isn't perfect as it's quite close to Frankston which is one of the less nice suburbs but you could get a good house here for 700k! We are renting at the moment and pay $330 a week for a 3 bedroom house with huge garden, two mins drive to a very nice beach and within walking distance of several schools.

Lany

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.